Triode Wire Labs 7+ and 8+ power cords

rpf

Triode Wire Labs 7+ and 8+ power cords
« on: 24 Jan 2013, 08:53 pm »
Triode Wire Labs 7+ and 8+ Power Cords (7 and 8 gauge respectively).

This is not a full review because I have not had enough time to do one due to problems with both my DAC and amp. However, I did get to listen to both cords for several hours; the 7+ on my amp and, then, the 8+ on my DAC. For several days prior and in the hours leading up to the switch, I had been using a pair of 8 gauge Purist Audio 20th Anniversary power cords ($2500 list each) on the equipment, that a friend had lent me.

The Purist, compared to my own cords (which are only 10 gauge), were explosively dynamic and effortless in presentation. They had a lower noise floor and a deeper soundstage.

The interesting thing is that the TWL cords, at a fifth of the price, matched the Purist in dynamics and effortlessness. They did not have the really deep soundstage that the Purist did but the latter, in comparison, sounded a bit too forward for my taste. Soundstage on both was wide and tall. The Purist were more incisive (sharper transient attacks) and separated individual lines better but the TWL overall sounded more coherent, of a piece.

What is more, and of utmost importance to me, the TWL cords produced a greater harmonic richness/tonal density, without being veiled or muddy. The end result being that, in my system, I preferred the TWL 7 & 8 Plus to the Purist 20th Anniversary power cords. This is an amazing achievement for TWL.

Edit: Yes, I bought them.

System: APC power conditioner > Mac Mini (Pure Music)/LaCie external drive > ART Legato > EE Minimax DAC (modded) > Rogue Cronus Magnum (KT 120s) > Aural Acoustics Model B.
« Last Edit: 8 Feb 2013, 05:40 am by rpf »

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
Re: Triode Wire Labs 7+ and 8+ power cords
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2013, 02:47 pm »
Yep, Pete builds great cables.   :thumb:   His 7+ cable is a great match for my UberBUSS in many systems  TWL does good work.  The + series cables are tremendous at any pricepoint.  Better yet is that you'll never find a nicer guy with a heart for the audio community.  You can't go wrong.

Dave

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jan 2013, 03:05 pm »
Ditto.
Yep, Pete builds great cables.   :thumb:   His 7+ cable is a great match for my UberBUSS in many systems  TWL does good work.  The + series cables are tremendous at any pricepoint.  Better yet is that you'll never find a nicer guy with a heart for the audio community.  You can't go wrong.

Dave

jbtrio

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jan 2013, 03:27 pm »
Yes, Pete builds excellent cables. I have plenty high end cables and Pete's are right up there performance wise, but cost many times lower in price.

Pete is also a great guy! His cables deserve all the accolades they are getting.

Great job, buddy!

Joe

coverto

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jan 2013, 04:28 pm »
Like I told a friend recently -- I've been through a lot of cables the past several years, but with the TWL plus versions my AC power cable itch has finally been scratched for good.  8)

That said, I'm pretty amazed they were able to slug with the Purists! Great review.

ltr317

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jan 2013, 06:24 am »
I have one of Pete's 8+ power cords on loan, and have been using it for my last two audio reviews.  Very good sounding product. 

Paul Mah