Synchro-Mesh reclocker reviews

paul79

• Industry Participant
Re: Synchro-Mesh reclocker reviews
« Reply #200 on: 27 Sep 2013, 06:14 am »
You got it! When you get the jitter down in a resolving system, the speakers do things you never thought possible from digital.

hearnow1

« Reply #201 on: 27 Sep 2013, 11:23 pm »
I use a Modwright Transporter into a PS audio Perfect Wave DAC MK II, and wonder if Steve if you think that the synchromesh will improve the sound?  The squeezebox software is the only thing I I've found that can play my music collection randomly without a computer, so I use the Transporter even though the PS Audio PW DAC II bridge sounds better.  Steve, I am wondering if you think the Modwright modifications or the PS Audio digital lens negates the need for the Synchromesh reclocker?

audioengr

« Reply #202 on: 27 Sep 2013, 11:35 pm »
I use a Modwright Transporter into a PS audio Perfect Wave DAC MK II, and wonder if Steve if you think that the synchromesh will improve the sound?  The squeezebox software is the only thing I I've found that can play my music collection randomly without a computer, so I use the Transporter even though the PS Audio PW DAC II bridge sounds better.  Steve, I am wondering if you think the Modwright modifications or the PS Audio digital lens negates the need for the Synchromesh reclocker?

As far as I know, the jitter from the modded Transporter is still a problem.  The Modwright mods usually focus on the analog sections.

As for the PWD, I have a quite a few customers using Off-Ramp 5 with it to reduce jitter, so I think the digital lens is only so effective.  The best thing is to give it a try.  Its returnable and refundable if it does not satisfy.

Steve N.

path73

« Reply #203 on: 3 Oct 2013, 07:31 am »
I now have much more experience with the Syncro-mesh than the last time I chimed in. That experience has only further reinforced my love for this unit. I have tried several cables (my own Lessloss as well as several well-regarded brands borrowed from friends), including cables of different lengths. For some reason, 2 meters sounded slightly better to me than the same cables in 1.5 meter--I have no idea why.  For the past month or so, I have been listening mostly with Toslink, which . . . actually sounds the best. I have the ability to do instant comparisons between inputs and there is no doubt in my mind that my Wireworld Supernova 6 glass cable sounds better than any of the far more expensive coax cables that I tried. I had always been told that Toslink is inferior, but my own experience says that this is not true (at least with this cable). Maybe it is the electrical isolation or maybe some other factor is at play, but I would encourage others to give it a try. The Synchro-mesh sounds great with every cable I have tried and I would be happy with any of them, but I am happiest with the glass link. I am curious if anyone else has any opinions about this.

In my setup, I can hear a clear improvement in SQ with SM when I connect a source by Toslink rather than coax, probably due to ground loop issues (particularly from my TV-box). Cutting ground loops at the SM input makes sense to me.

Coax output with Steve's new cable is absolute Nirvana, nothing I tried comes close to it (coax or optical) to feed my DAC. By the way, this cable also does marvels on other coax audio sources!

But I think cable differences become more apparent when a Hynes supply is connected to the SM. The upcoming Dynamo with new umbilical should be even better than my SR3.

Cheers,
/patrick

audioengr

« Reply #204 on: 3 Oct 2013, 05:44 pm »
In my setup, I can hear a clear improvement in SQ with SM when I connect a source by Toslink rather than coax, probably due to ground loop issues (particularly from my TV-box). Cutting ground loops at the SM input makes sense to me.

If you have a standard SM without OTL, all inputs and outputs are galvanically isolated.  It is probably that your toslink cable is better than your coax, but there is always the coax output transformer that adds jitter.  No transformer on the toslink.

Coax output with Steve's new cable is absolute Nirvana, nothing I tried comes close to it (coax or optical) to feed my DAC. By the way, this cable also does marvels on other coax audio sources!

You should try my BNC/BNC cable.  it is unbeaten so far.

Steve N.

echarlie

« Reply #205 on: 6 Nov 2013, 07:15 pm »
Using: Sonos>Schiit Audio Bifrost DAC.  They say the Bifrost reduces the jitter to nearly inaudible levels.  If this is true, would I still benefit in sound quality improvements enough to make the purchase of a synchro mesh worth it?

audioengr

« Reply #206 on: 6 Nov 2013, 07:27 pm »
Using: Sonos>Schiit Audio Bifrost DAC.  They say the Bifrost reduces the jitter to nearly inaudible levels.  If this is true, would I still benefit in sound quality improvements enough to make the purchase of a synchro mesh worth it?

Inaudible levels?  Not likely IME.  I have yet to hear ANY DAC at ANY price that can do this.

SM has money-back, less shipping.

Steve N.

echarlie

« Reply #207 on: 6 Nov 2013, 07:37 pm »
So basically what you're saying is that any DAC will still allow audible jitter and because of this, the synchro mesh will improve that and thusly, the sound quality.

I was concerned that the reclocker is not "bit perfect" but the bifrost is supposed to be I believe and that this might cause issues.

audioengr

« Reply #208 on: 7 Nov 2013, 06:35 pm »
So basically what you're saying is that any DAC will still allow audible jitter and because of this, the synchro mesh will improve that and thusly, the sound quality.

Correct.

I was concerned that the reclocker is not "bit perfect" but the bifrost is supposed to be I believe and that this might cause issues.

It has not caused any issues with other DACs.  This resampling hardware is much better than older chips.

Steve N.

cooch

« Reply #209 on: 13 Nov 2013, 12:26 pm »
Hi Steve. I need some help with all of these upgrades. I have the basic SM, running bnc to coax on both a peachtree idac and ps audio nuwave. Does the OTL option apply in these cases?  Does the Dynamo power supply option also apply? If one or both options apply  in my case and will increase SQ i am in. Thanks for your help.

Cooch

audioengr

« Reply #210 on: 13 Nov 2013, 08:58 pm »
Hi Steve. I need some help with all of these upgrades. I have the basic SM, running bnc to coax on both a peachtree idac and ps audio nuwave. Does the OTL option apply in these cases?  Does the Dynamo power supply option also apply? If one or both options apply  in my case and will increase SQ i am in. Thanks for your help.

Cooch

Look at the specs or contact the manufacturer to see if the coax input has transformer isolation.

The Dynamo will improve the SM significantly.

I also highly recommend my BNC-BNC cable with adapters.

Steve N.

Watthead

« Reply #211 on: 14 Nov 2013, 12:37 am »

Cooch

I have the Peachtree iDac. The inputs are isolated so you can get the OTL mod. I got the the OTL mod on my Synchro Mesh, the sound quality improved a lot.

Simon

cooch

« Reply #212 on: 14 Nov 2013, 12:58 pm »
thanks steve and simon. simon, did you get or plan to get the dynamo also?

cooch

« Reply #213 on: 14 Nov 2013, 01:20 pm »
Steve, regarding your BNC-BNC cable with adapters. if my dac doesn't have a bnc input, will the adapters take care of that and will it work just as well as without the adapters? and how would i hook up your cable, from the sonos to the SM BNC in, then from the SM BNC out to the dac?  thanks

audioengr

« Reply #214 on: 14 Nov 2013, 07:59 pm »
Steve, regarding your BNC-BNC cable with adapters. if my dac doesn't have a bnc input, will the adapters take care of that and will it work just as well as without the adapters? and how would i hook up your cable, from the sonos to the SM BNC in, then from the SM BNC out to the dac?  thanks

Adapter will take care of that.  Works just as well.

From Sonos to SM I would recommend a cheap coax or Toslink, even plastic.  Not critical.

Steve N.

Watthead

« Reply #215 on: 14 Nov 2013, 08:25 pm »
thanks steve and simon. simon, did you get or plan to get the dynamo also?

Haven''t gotten the Dynamo, but I'm planning to.

trekker

« Reply #216 on: 15 Nov 2013, 12:07 am »
Steve,

I'm using my SM from my Sonos to my Marantz AV8801. All the connections are done via Digital RCA patch cord. My Marantz's RCA digital input goes directly into an IC buffer (no isolation transformer). My SM power supply is plugged into PI Audio Majik Buss rev B. I have an upcoming bonus and was wondering which would give me the best upgrade:

1. OTL upgrade & cable (BNC w/RCA adapters)

Or

2. Dynamo power supply.

Thanks,

Arnold

audioengr

« Reply #217 on: 15 Nov 2013, 01:31 am »
Steve,

I'm using my SM from my Sonos to my Marantz AV8801. All the connections are done via Digital RCA patch cord. My Marantz's RCA digital input goes directly into an IC buffer (no isolation transformer). My SM power supply is plugged into PI Audio Majik Buss rev B. I have an upcoming bonus and was wondering which would give me the best upgrade:

1. OTL upgrade & cable (BNC w/RCA adapters)

Or

2. Dynamo power supply.

Thanks,

Arnold

The Dynamo is what I would recommend, however if you have an older SM it may not have the OT upgrade.  You must have this one. All SM sold starting in April 2013 have the OT upgrade.  It is a $100 upgrade if you don't have it.

Steve N.

justubes

Re: Synchro-Mesh OTL with other DACs
« Reply #218 on: 28 Nov 2014, 11:06 am »
Hi,

Are esoteric dacs/player with digital in have the galvanic transformers on the input?

Does the synchromesh OTL not work otherwise if there is no transformer at the input?

Where can one find/confirm this information as manufacturers dont state transformer at digital in spec, usually?

Thanks

audioengr

Re: Synchro-Mesh OTL with other DACs
« Reply #219 on: 28 Nov 2014, 08:00 pm »
Hi,

Are esoteric dacs/player with digital in have the galvanic transformers on the input?

Does the synchromesh OTL not work otherwise if there is no transformer at the input?

It will work, just no isolation between grounds.

Where can one find/confirm this information as manufacturers dont state transformer at digital in spec, usually?

You have to examine the circuit or contact a technical person with Esoteric.

Steve N.