Warpspeed Optocoupler

Warpspeed CE

Re: Warpspeed Optocoupler
« Reply #40 on: 22 Sep 2011, 04:00 pm »
Thank you once again Nick for the nice feedback...

I currently have on list 8 for the demo unit...but 2 have not responded with shipping addresses.

praedet, I know you're in VA but will need yours too. Sent you PM.

HAL, if interested please PM or email thru AC...

TrungT and RClark, thanks for the assists as well.

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #41 on: 22 Sep 2011, 04:28 pm »
Sorry for being dense, but could someone link a pricelist for these units? I would also be interested in a remote unit. How much would that cost?

gooberdude

« Reply #42 on: 22 Sep 2011, 11:05 pm »
PM Sent

mjosef

« Reply #43 on: 23 Sep 2011, 02:47 am »
Please add me to the tour, I have sent my info.
Thanks

Warpspeed CE

« Reply #44 on: 23 Sep 2011, 04:46 am »
Ok here's the list...from the PNW to the Midwest, East Coast then back to the West.

10 days to 14 days max at each location. USPS Priority Mail Medium Box Insured/Delivery Confirmed for $14.50 http://postcalc.usps.gov/ExtraServices.aspx?m=13&dz=98052&oz=98311&pob=0&MailingDate=9%2f23%2f2011&MailingTime=8%3a00+AM&time=Sat%2c+Sep+24&mt=13 to the next person on the list. Email me for address or PM member directly. As a courtesy to the next user please replace batteries when it reaches 6V (4x 9V alkalines). Don't get your hopes up on the quality of the build as this is my prototype but it will give you an idea on the performance of optocouplers.

Please handle the unit with care so we could get this going as long as possible. Label box "Fragile" when shipping.

I just need to put a bottom plate and it's ready to go on the road by Monday 9/26/11.

RClark (AC/diyA)
Redmond, Wa. 98052

bpape (AC)
Wildwood, MO 63040

gooberdude (AC)
St Louis, MO  63101-1285

ejfud (AC)
St Paul MN 55116

RWolters (AC/diyA)
Farmington Hills, MI 48336

usp1 (AC)
Champaign, Illinois 61822 -complete address please

praedet (AC/diyA)
Newport, VA 24128

Occam (AC)
Brooklyn, NY 11215

mjosef (AC)
Brooklyn NY11225

Tea-Bag (diyA)
Kennebunk, ME 04043

drjlo (diyA)
Upland, CA 91784

morganc (AC)
Mill Valley, Ca

Rclark

« Reply #45 on: 23 Sep 2011, 04:54 am »
 :green:

so very excited  :thumb:

ejfud

« Reply #46 on: 23 Sep 2011, 06:31 pm »
:green:

so very excited  :thumb:

I'll second those feelings.

gooberdude

« Reply #47 on: 23 Sep 2011, 10:27 pm »
This will be fun!!

Any idea how long the batteries last, in terms of # of hrs usage?

Considering that 9V batteries are about $6 each now, would it be ridiculous to require each participant to buy one & send it along to the next person?

If the preamp uses power sparingly, please disregard.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #48 on: 23 Sep 2011, 10:29 pm »
I will just watch for responses here as to sound quality.  :D

Warpspeed CE

T@W
« Reply #49 on: 27 Sep 2011, 02:20 am »
It's off the starting block...first stop is Redmond, WA across the Puget Sound.

Attached pictures show how it was packed and the forms needed...USPS Insurance($200) and Delivery Confirmation. The unit is dressed for traveling in a bubble lined packet. Please reuse this and the packing materials. Priority Mail medium box and the forms are available for free from your local post office. Label "Fragile" and say electronics when asked.

The Warpspeed has a power ON/OFF button. It draws current most at either full CCW or full CW and least at midpoint. To conserve battery power turn it OFF when not in use. Most listening levels fall on the 2nd go around of the 3-turn volume control pot and where the least current is drawn.

Please notify me and the next person before you ship it and we'll wait for confirmation that he's available and expecting it...Thank you all for your support! Enjoy your time with it!

RClark -expected delivery is tomorrow, Tue. Tracking #0311240000188380283.

« Last Edit: 25 Oct 2011, 01:57 pm by Warpspeed CE »

Warpspeed CE

Traveling@Warpspeed
« Reply #50 on: 28 Sep 2011, 03:29 am »
T@W landed at 1st stopover and here's a quote from RClark's initial reaction...

"Expect a glorious review. It is quite nice. Just the half hour I've spent with it has taken my system to another level."

That was me today, smiling in disbelief as I switched back and forth from dac only to warpspeed. It's quite a jump! I can't wait to get back home and spend several hours with it."

Rclark

« Reply #51 on: 28 Sep 2011, 07:43 am »

Quite impressed!

I've spent the late evening playing with it (no, the opto, you sick bastard), and I have too many good things to say, but I want to make sure I say all the good things and give this the write up it deserves. I do also work alot over the next several days. A lot (and we should all be grateful for the blessing, there are too many out there desperate and seeking). So expect my thoughts sometime next week.

gooberdude

« Reply #52 on: 3 Oct 2011, 11:34 pm »
This might be the most organized tour that i've taken part in. 

Just got a PM today & the preamp should arrive soon.  The guy ahead of me can't take delivery yet due to RMAF.   

:thumb:

Rclark

« Reply #53 on: 3 Oct 2011, 11:41 pm »
 Hey GooberDood. Ok, I'll send it out tommorrow.

I'll write my review soon, gonna spend the last night with it playin' tunes.

Great unit!

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
« Last Edit: 4 Oct 2011, 01:44 am by Rclark »

gooberdude

« Reply #54 on: 4 Oct 2011, 12:02 am »
Excellent.  Looking forward to it.

Warpspeed CE

« Reply #55 on: 5 Oct 2011, 06:29 pm »
It's great that it is off to a great start...

gooberdude, please let us know when you receive it.

To address the batteries draining, it takes months to a year to really drain it when used normally. So as to not burden the "lucky one" with replacing it for the next person, once the batteries I packed with the unit is unusable, please provide your own as needed. Keep your batteries and do not send it to the next person.

Thanks to all who are participating!

Rclark

« Reply #56 on: 5 Oct 2011, 08:24 pm »
My opinion of the Warpspeed Octocoupler is that is brings out the pulse of life. The level of clean purity it provides is quite stunning. Certain well recorded electric guitar now sounds like live amp production. Even my temporary placeholder subwoofer (going servos, OB, next) gained definition. John Entwhistle's bass guitar on "My Generation" has a live slap to it. It's a very refined sound coming from the whole system with the Warpspeed, but that refinement is secondary to the liveliness, the increased definition and dimensionality that just brings the sound of live music just that much closer.

I was, I wouldn't say skeptical, but I was ready for anything when I installed it, cranked the volume on my dac to maximum, and switched over to the dial control. I had been listening to music all day prior to installing the unit. Instant ear to ear grin! Instantly noticeable, it was like clouds parting to reveal the sun, or like windex to a dusty pane. I don't miss using the remote at all for such a tradeup.

I'll be a purchaser, I'll miss the unit too much. I think my search for a "preamp" has ended before it began. With the Warpspeed, about the only thing I desire to change is the quality of dac I'm feeding to it, it's begging for something better than what I've got. I can only imagine what a top shelf dac might deliver with this optocoupler. I can say however that I am pleased enough to not change a thing. I've had people over to listen and they were absolutely speechless afterwards! I might eventually add a Dodd inline buffer, and then pretty much call it a day!

This forum has been invaluable. Due to my learning here, I've now got an incredible amp, speakers, and now I've got the attenuator picked out. I think in six months time I'll have a system I can be quite proud of. This Warpspeed will sit at the top of the rack.

My current setup "the Tie Fighter" . Much of that setup is temporary. The boxes under the MMG's are gone when they undergo their scheduled top to bottom "Gunn" mod. The subs will be OB servos. the blankets will be real basstraps, etc. Hopefully the next guys are more photogenic.

:lol:

Rclark

« Reply #57 on: 5 Oct 2011, 09:29 pm »
I already miss it!

johnnycopy

« Reply #58 on: 5 Oct 2011, 11:46 pm »
I already miss it!

hey Rclark, nice endorsement. I just ordered one myself (without hearing it so happy to read your review :) ).  I am interested to know what equipment other than the speakers you are running it with.

Thanks John

Rclark

« Reply #59 on: 5 Oct 2011, 11:52 pm »
You're gonna love it!

Emotiva ERC-2 cd player to Emotiva XDA-1 Dac via optical (soon to get an AES/EBU cable). Amp is a Virtue Two.2 modded with ClarityCaps and hipassed at 80hz. PS for the amp is an Astron LS-10a linear. Running batteries on that in a matter of days now. Speakers, Magnepan MMG's. Cables: Mac Ultra Silver+ IC's, Zmanastronomy's cryo'd copper speaker wire.