Warpspeed Optocoupler

doug s.

• makin' music
Re: Warpspeed Optocoupler
« Reply #140 on: 3 Nov 2011, 05:07 pm »
Guys I'll say it again because it's worth repeating. I love being able to use a remote, and I was using one for volume, right up until the WS. But honestly what the Neutrino brings to the table, you just don't care. And besides, it's just so easy to set the volume you want, and go from there. It's really not an issue. I actually like it, there's a sense of old school meets very high tech. I admit, a remote would be nice, but I've come to realize that for volume control, it's not super critical unless you need to adjust the volume constantly, which shouldn't be the case.
sorry, i won't go back to no remote.  while i agree that ldr attenuators are the shiznit, they are awailable now w/remote.  i want everything that the warpspeed brings to the table and remote control for wolume!   :green:

i do not wanna crap on this thread, and i have no way of knowing if the warpspeed is actually better than my remote ldr, but i do know that if i wanted a warpspeed, i would definitely be waiting until feb 2012.   :wink:  and more power to blues/warpspeed for committing to making remote awailable!   :thumb:  as i only need one input, i may actually try one when it comes out; i could let someone else have mine, which has 3 inputs (also remote controlled), which i do not need...

doug s.

Warpspeed CE

« Reply #141 on: 6 Nov 2011, 03:29 am »
Thanks Rclark, that's how I feel with the manual control, toggle switch, badge...basic, old school, lean 'n' mean.

But I also have one ear on the audiophile pulse and requests, like doug s.'s and others. The sticking point though is still the very expensive motor pot and having to convince the vendor about supplying as needed and not in bulk...they're used to supplying big industries, robotics, military and such.

I'll continue exploring the possibility but no guarantees at this time...later it will be about convincing you guys the pricing is correct and fair  :o :scratch:

praedet

« Reply #142 on: 6 Nov 2011, 01:25 pm »
Do you know of any relatively small companies that use that motor?  If so, you might convince them to sell you 1-2 here and there out of there larger batch...

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #143 on: 6 Nov 2011, 02:37 pm »
also, why is a motor needed?  i have heard about electronic options that remain out of the signal path...  surely it would be easier and less expensive? 

doug s.

Warpspeed CE

« Reply #144 on: 6 Nov 2011, 11:22 pm »
The process is they modify a manual precision pot to include a rear shaft where the motor is attached so it can be controlled via an external InfraRed(IR) board that runs the motor CW or CCW. The IR board has an IR receiver controlled by you with a handset. You will see the knob rotate by R/C.

Another way is without a rear shaft...instead the front shaft is turned-around 180 deg. and connected to the motor. This has the disadvantage of not being able to manually adjust with a knob on the front panel like the rear shaft driven one.

I still love controlling the volume by cranking a large volume knob which electronic/digital options do not provide...and may not have the fine steps a precision multi-turn pot affords.

InfernoSTi

« Reply #145 on: 9 Nov 2011, 05:05 am »
OK guys, I'm finally reporting back on my Warpspeed experience.  I have to confess that I wasn't really ready for the level of change that I experienced.  Once sorted out and having been listening for a little while now, I can say the sound is everything that folks are saying: smooth, detailed, an explosive soundstage, and a pleasing tonal balance.  There is depth, width, and, how do I say it, a soft but detailed sound (like silk maybe?).

One thing that I have to say up front is that I didn't like the soundstage at first as my room isn't symmetrical and it was not good to listen to.  By coincidence, I had ordered the Prime 37 diffuser for my front  wall (I use a full dipole setup) and once I got that installed, things really started to come together for me.  And to be clear, I took the Warpspeed out of the system until I had the diffuser set up the way I liked it, then added the Warpspeed back in, made some minor tweaks and adjustments to the speaker location, and I've been happy ever since.

I have to say I'm still getting used to the sound quality.  It is reminding me of the first time I heard a Single Ended Triode amp and I knew I liked the sound better but couldn't place what or why.  Kind of an odd experience to get from a passive component, right?   :scratch:

I'm still listening but think I really don't care what or why...I like the sound of things on every recording, so there you have it.  This is the first improvement that I've had in a while that makes me think things are more musical and detailed, rather than just more detailed.  I was getting a bit too dry and now things seem rich again.  I feel funny about writing this as I'm sure it seems a bit odd.  I can say I'm no "hear it once and I'm a fan boy" on this product.  Just ask poor Allan, I wasn't happy with things for the first ten days until I sorted out my room balance...and then OH WOW!   Just saying...

John

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #146 on: 9 Nov 2011, 11:18 am »
Good review and glad you like it.  I hear you on the "more detailed but not necessarily more musical".  I have regretted a few of those type of "upgrades".

Sounds like a must have for the new year...

Warpspeed CE

« Reply #147 on: 9 Nov 2011, 07:05 pm »
John, I'm very happy it is finally settling down in your system/room to your liking. I'm :oops: my only excuse was warp-lag from moving it south to Texas...one of my favorite westerns is "The Outlaw Josey Wales" aka "Gone to Texas". :)

Hoping it'll provide you long, enjoyable evenings of fine music...

InfernoSTi

« Reply #148 on: 10 Nov 2011, 05:22 am »
Good review and glad you like it.  I hear you on the "more detailed but not necessarily more musical".  I have regretted a few of those type of "upgrades".

Sounds like a must have for the new year...

I'm really happy with the Warpspeed and for the money, you won't do better, in my opinion.  You know I've gone pretty extreme into the DIY tube and speaker world and have become kind of picky...this is a product that puts a smile on my face and works so well with the setup.

John, I'm very happy it is finally settling down in your system/room to your liking. I'm :oops: my only excuse was warp-lag from moving it south to Texas...one of my favorite westerns is "The Outlaw Josey Wales" aka "Gone to Texas". :)

Hoping it'll provide you long, enjoyable evenings of fine music...

Thank you for the gracious thoughts.  Don't be concerned...all you did was expose the limits of my listening room setup. The good news was I had ordered that Prime 37 diffuser that has helped me overcome my odd shaped room and listening position so that I can enjoy the fruits of your labor.  Everything sounds like a million dollars in my room now! I've got King Crimson on now but was enjoying "Jazz at the Pawnshop" earlier and Boston, Blondie, and Elvis Costello before that. Like I said, everything sounds better....

John
« Last Edit: 11 Nov 2011, 04:51 am by InfernoSTi »

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #149 on: 12 Nov 2011, 10:33 pm »
my only excuse was warp-lag from moving it south to Texas...one of my favorite westerns is "The Outlaw Josey Wales" aka "Gone to Texas". :)

Am I reading this right that you moved to Texas?  I live close Tyler in east Texas.

-Roy

InfernoSTi

« Reply #150 on: 13 Nov 2011, 05:33 am »
I think he meant he sent the Warpspeed to Texas, not that he moved to Texas1   :thumb:

John

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #151 on: 13 Nov 2011, 10:40 am »
Quote from: Warpspeed CE link=topic=97379.msg1012685#msg1012685
...one of my favorite westerns is "The Outlaw Josey Wales" aka "Gone to Texas". :)

With some of the best one liners in any western, like "I didn't surrender neither, but they took my horse and made him surrender".

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #152 on: 13 Nov 2011, 07:31 pm »
I think he meant he sent the Warpspeed to Texas, not that he moved to Texas1   :thumb:
John

Thanks, John...yeah I wasn't real sure about that.

With some of the best one liners in any western, like "I didn't surrender neither, but they took my horse and made him surrender".

I really like that one, too.

And, of course, the bounty hunter says, "A man's got to do something for a living these days."
Josey Wales answers, "Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy."
« Last Edit: 13 Nov 2011, 08:35 pm by roymail »

Warpspeed CE

« Reply #153 on: 13 Nov 2011, 11:35 pm »
Just John's V4x2, Roy...

John, your great sense on how to set-up your system and room made it all happen for you. My simple advice to all is, "You know what you like (or dislike) when you hear it..."

Here are some great dialogue from the movie...

Granny Hawkins: So, you'll be Josey Wales.
Josey Wales: Now, how might you know that, Granny?
Granny Hawkins: Soldiers were here looking for you 'bout two hours ago. They say you killed your own men. They say you're a hard put and desperate man, Josey Wales. They're goin' to heel and hide you to a barn door. You know what I say?
Josey Wales: What's that?
Granny Hawkins: I say that big talk's worth doodly-squat. Now, them poultices be laced with feathermoss and mustard root. Mind you drop water on 'em occasional and keep 'em damp.
Granny Hawkins: You can pay me when you see me again, Josey Wales.
Josey Wales: I reckon so

Carpetbagger: Your young friend could use some help. [holds up a bottle of patent medicine]
Carpetbagger: This is it... one dollar a bottle. It works wonders on wounds.
Josey Wales: Works wonders on just about everything, eh?
Carpetbagger: It can do most anything.
Josey Wales: [spits tobacco juice on the carpetbagger's coat] How is it with stains?

Josey Wales: When I get to likin' someone, they ain't around long.
Lone Watie: I notice when you get to dislikin' someone they ain't around for long neither.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #154 on: 14 Nov 2011, 03:38 pm »
Sorry for the OT, perhaps we should start a thread in the Cinema circle, but just a note than in the book there is no carpetbagger character, and Granny doesn't say, "You know what I say?"... "I say that big talk's worth doodly-squat.", and "You can pay me when you see me again, Josey Wales."  Which puts a whole new outlook on her attitude (the rest of the dialog is accurate).  The ferryman had already been paid with five gold sovereigns from the bank Jamie and Josey had just robbed, which is where Jamie had been wounded in the botched getaway.   

rodge827

« Reply #155 on: 14 Nov 2011, 04:19 pm »
Hey guys,

Just wondering where the T@W is now?

Impressions?

Chris

ejfud

« Reply #156 on: 14 Nov 2011, 08:59 pm »
Hey guys,

Just wondering where the T@W is now?

Impressions?

Chris

Should be at it's new stop today.

I thought it was about as good as it gets for a preamp. Quiet, deep and wide soundstage. Details to die for without being forward.

Off to dig through the couch cushions for some money to buy one.

InfernoSTi

« Reply #157 on: 15 Nov 2011, 12:24 am »
John, your great sense on how to set-up your system and room made it all happen for you. My simple advice to all is, "You know what you like (or dislike) when you hear it..."

My setup is a bit interesting...I can't wait to get into my house next month!  The look may be a bit cluttered but the sound is balanced.  Once I got the left/right imagery balanced it was all fine.  Funny how exaggerated the imbalance was to me: that says a lot about the fact that at that time the only change was the Warpspeed. And it says how important room treatments can be in odd shaped rooms (balance being so key).   

The Warpspeed is really growing on me.  The detail and tonal balance is really pleasing to listen to. Sometimes every album sounds similar (kind of a "house" sound) but with the Warpspeed, there isn't that house sound...the music really shows through. I don't think I'll be going back to a conventional volume control. 

Like I said, the Warpspeed is really starting to become a key component in the system.

John

DavidS

« Reply #158 on: 15 Nov 2011, 02:11 am »
was inquiring with Allan today about matching the optocoupler and set amp and he suggested I post question here.

...so is anyone using an Optocoupler with SET amp - mine is 300b.  If so how is match - real question is which dilithium crystals are you using with your set?

David

gooberdude

« Reply #159 on: 15 Nov 2011, 03:22 am »
I have the Warpspeed with an SET amp, its a great match.