Deadheads, check this out!

tvyankee

Re: Deadheads, check this out!
« Reply #80 on: 31 Mar 2009, 11:33 pm »
hey

just wanted to let you know that i saw the dead last night for free. yes free! i know your saying impossible but it was. last night at the roseland ballroom in NYC they let everyone in for free. i walked right in the front door no money and no ticket.  they played really well and and the vibe was out of this world. just thought you should know that after all these years good things come to those who wait long enough.

sts9fan

« Reply #81 on: 1 Apr 2009, 01:01 am »
I read about that show. looked cool. The acoustic show looked great!

mcullinan

« Reply #82 on: 1 Apr 2009, 01:26 am »
82 Oregon ST Prison 05/05/82
http://www.sendspace.com/folder/4951kr

come and get em

mmmm Rubin and Cherise
Very Nice!!! :)
Mike

sts9fan

« Reply #83 on: 1 Apr 2009, 11:51 am »
Ok so three people have downloaded the 82 show and one the 86 show.  What do you guys think?  I just love the acoustic guitar with the bass.

jriggy

« Reply #84 on: 2 Apr 2009, 03:52 am »
I have that OR state prison show too.  Am I correctly remembering that there may have been two mixes of this out there?

DeadFish

« Reply #85 on: 2 Apr 2009, 06:09 am »
Ok so three people have downloaded the 82 show and one the 86 show.  What do you guys think?  I just love the acoustic guitar with the bass.

Thanks for the effort!  Nice list'ning!
That Oregon ST Prison stuff was really intimate and tastey, but they are both great stuff! 
There is something to be said for that acoustic work.  :D

Appreciating the efforts and comments in this thread!  Glad everyone showed up!  :wink:

Best Regards,
DeadFish

bprice2

« Reply #86 on: 11 Apr 2009, 02:40 pm »
I just read and thought I'd share this article from the NYT - Bring Out Your Dead

sts9fan

« Reply #87 on: 11 Apr 2009, 03:35 pm »
I got the new Pure Jerry release and it is a great recording. 

bprice2

« Reply #88 on: 11 Apr 2009, 04:11 pm »

So far I've only checked out the 86 show.  I'll do the 82 this weekend.  So far I've really enjoyed.  Thanks for putting these up for us.

BTW...I purchased the Pizza Tapes last week and have been enjoying it.  The Pizza Tapes is Jerry Garcia, David Grisman & Tony Rice.

DeadFish

« Reply #89 on: 11 Apr 2009, 11:34 pm »

BTW...I purchased the Pizza Tapes last week and have been enjoying it.  The Pizza Tapes is Jerry Garcia, David Grisman & Tony Rice.

I liked the Pizza Tapes really well, though I first encountered it as a 'bootleg' within a year or two of Garcia's death.  It was kind of strange that close to his death, to find so much life in those recordings, like the laughter during screw-ups.  Before it was published as 'The Pizza Tapes it floated around on two cd's called "Jerry's Home" from KTS, being mostly more of the same, only more takes.

Good stuff!

Regards,
DeadFish

thebearded1

« Reply #90 on: 11 Apr 2009, 11:45 pm »
Garcia/Grisman So What is excellent if you haven't heard it..I also have to recommend Jazz is Dead's 3 albums...Jimmy Herring is a remarkable guitarist....

bummrush

« Reply #91 on: 12 Apr 2009, 01:42 am »
I hate to admit it,but im late to the Dead actually,but damn glad i finally really started giving their music a listen,Winterland 73 all of the pure Jerry series, which are outstanding,plus the 2 discs of JGB on Arista.I dont know why i never listened any earlier but never did.Jerry sure did like to get high,but God what still could of came out of him if he was still around ,one can only wonder,Just actually at the very tip of all they did,as far as im concerned some of the best music ever made.

Len_Dreyer

« Reply #92 on: 12 Apr 2009, 03:49 am »
If you haven't seen it, check out the Grateful Dawg film. It explains the how & why of the Garcia/Grisman recordings. Truly wonderful film. David deserves a lot of credit for recognizing the importance of this late period Garcia acoustic work. One of my favorite parts of the film is when David's son explains how the two finally got together again after a long estrangement & how it helped their personal music making.

bprice2

« Reply #93 on: 13 Feb 2010, 05:32 pm »
Grateful Dead 
Fillmore East 
New York, NY
April 29, 1971

Just a heads-up...this link goes to the Lossless Legs website.  You must register to download the torrent.

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: 

I can't believe this is free.   :inlove:

This is one of the better quality freely-traded shows in circulation that I made reference to some while ago.  Well, a new transfer is now in circulation, which is a straight transfer from the master reel.  I thought I'd share this info with you guys, because the new transfer is absolutely stunning in its sound quality.

Check it out.

Grateful Dead - April 29, 1971
Fillmore East - New York, NY

Recording Info:
SBD -> Shure Line Mixers -> Advent Advocate Dolby B Unit ->
Master Reel (Sony Deck - BASF Tapes - 1/4 Track - 7 1/2 ips)

Transfer Info:
Master Reel (Teac A-6100) -> Advent Advocate Dolby B Unit ->
Fostex FR-2LE -> WAV (24bit/96k)

Mastering Info:
WAV -> Adobe Audition v3.0 -> Samplitude Professional v11.03 -> FLAC/16
(3 Discs Audio / 2 Discs FLAC)

Master Reels Baked and Transferred By David Gans
All Mastering By Charlie Miller
charliemiller87@earthlink.net
February 8, 2010

Patch Info:
SBD -> 16 Track Master Reel -> Dat supplies:
Bird Song (8:36 - 9:12)
Me And Bobby McGee (2:27 - 3:19)
China Cat Sunflower (3:51 - end of track)
I Know You Rider (1:58 - 2:32)

Notes:
-- All disc changes are seamless
-- Thanks to Bill Gadsden for supplying the reels
-- Thanks to Rob Eaton for supplying the patch source
-- Thanks to Joe B. Jones for his help with the pitch correction

Set 1:
d1t01 - Truckin'
d1t02 - Bertha
d1t03 - It Hurts Me Too
d1t04 - Cumberland Blues ->
d1t05 - Me And My Uncle
d1t06 - Bird Song
d1t07 - Playing In The Band
d1t08 - Loser
d1t09 - Dark Hollow
d2t01 - Hard To Handle
d2t02 - Ripple
d2t03 - Me And Bobby McGee
d2t04 - Casey Jones

Set 2:
d2t05 - Morning Dew
d2t06 - New Minglewood Blues
d2t07 - Sugar Magnolia
d2t08 - Black Peter
d2t09 - Beat It On Down The Line
d2t10 - I Second That Emotion
d3t01 - Alligator ->
d3t02 - Drums ->
d3t03 - Jam ->
d3t04 - Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad ->
d3t05 - Cold Rain And Snow
d3t06 - China Cat Sunflower ->
d3t07 - I Know You Rider
d3t08 - Greatest Story Ever Told ->
d3t09 - Johnny B. Goode
d3t10 - Uncle John's Band

Encore:
d3t11 - In The Midnight Hour ->
d3t12 - We Bid You Goodnight

And, for you 24bit guys, there is a 24/96 version for your listening pleasure.  If you have the capability to listen to both the 16bit and 24bit, I'd love to hear your impressions of the two.

--This is a 24bit/96k source--

martyo

« Reply #94 on: 13 Feb 2010, 05:52 pm »
Cool, thanks. Some of this is on the "Ladies and Gentlemen" cds. A lot of good cuts and playing.  :thumb: 8)

Mike Nomad

« Reply #95 on: 13 Feb 2010, 06:03 pm »

And, for you 24bit guys, there is a 24/96 version for your listening pleasure.  If you have the capability to listen to both the 16bit and 24bit, I'd love to hear your impressions of the two.

(as a general comment) Most totally tasty excellent. Many thanks!
« Last Edit: 14 Feb 2010, 07:21 am by Mike Nomad »

Mike Nomad

« Reply #96 on: 14 Feb 2010, 07:37 am »

Hey Now!

I just got the 24-bit version downloaded a little while ago. I've only gotten through the first two tracks, and my head is about to explode. Sweet Baby Jesus, this is the best sounding live Dead tape I have ever heard.

To the... people at Rhino: This download is the way you need to release shows: 2-channel, 24-bit, with an option to download or buy audio on DVD (_Not_ DVD-A. Rather, like Classic Records has done w/ DAD).

Putting off a full listen until later today (time for night-night).

carusoracer

« Reply #97 on: 14 Feb 2010, 02:43 pm »
Thanks BPrice! 

I think I told you about this show awhile back 8)  The version of Hard to Handle is absolutely smokin' :o

Quick story. Working in a restaurant after school in the early 80's we had a lot of Dead Heads working as Cooks, etc. We used to listen different Bootlegs that they would bring back from the shows or what they Traded for among other Dead Heads. This was the real roots of the Dead as we all new some really good guys who would key into the soundboards etc. We would always here some of the Hottest shows out there and each of us had their favorite shows.
The Filmore East show was my favorite, I dubbed it onto cassette and onto my fathers Teac Reel to Reel. That taped was always in my car, at my girlfriends or lent out to someone and always ready for the roadtrip to go see a show. I remember sitting around at Buckeye Lake, OH on a hot afternoon before the show with several new found friends and old playing frisbee passing around the punch and having fun. Everyone time someone heard this tape and Hard to Handle and Bobby McGee people would just stop and listen,it is a long cut. What a time this tape provided.
Well now sometime later people are still discovering or re living this great show, and I still have the tape in my basement :lol: Good thing it is on CD from the old Dead site and I'll try and download this version to hear if the quality is just as good.
Have a great day :wink:

bprice2

« Reply #98 on: 14 Feb 2010, 09:54 pm »
Thanks BPrice! 

I think I told you about this show awhile back 8)  The version of Hard to Handle is absolutely smokin' :o

Quick story. Working in a restaurant after school in the early 80's we had a lot of Dead Heads working as Cooks, etc. We used to listen different Bootlegs that they would bring back from the shows or what they Traded for among other Dead Heads. This was the real roots of the Dead as we all new some really good guys who would key into the soundboards etc. We would always here some of the Hottest shows out there and each of us had their favorite shows.
The Filmore East show was my favorite, I dubbed it onto cassette and onto my fathers Teac Reel to Reel. That taped was always in my car, at my girlfriends or lent out to someone and always ready for the roadtrip to go see a show. I remember sitting around at Buckeye Lake, OH on a hot afternoon before the show with several new found friends and old playing frisbee passing around the punch and having fun. Everyone time someone heard this tape and Hard to Handle and Bobby McGee people would just stop and listen,it is a long cut. What a time this tape provided.
Well now sometime later people are still discovering or re living this great show, and I still have the tape in my basement :lol: Good thing it is on CD from the old Dead site and I'll try and download this version to hear if the quality is just as good.
Have a great day :wink:

Thanks for sharing, carusoracer.  There's plenty of bands that bring back great memories for me, too.  I'm a relatively late-comer to the Dead, but there's no denying that I love their music, especially the 60's and 70's.  I get a little less excited about the post Keith era, but I have plenty of time to gain appreciation, I suppose.

Sorry, I don't remember, but thanks for turning me on to this.  You really need to take a listen to this new transfer.  It is so crystal clear and musical.  Silky smooth and airy. 

Sweet Baby Jesus, this is the best sounding live Dead tape I have ever heard.

Mike's comment reflects my feeling as well, and I haven't heard the 24bit version. 

Given your history with this show, I think you will be very happy to have it in your collection.

bprice2

« Reply #99 on: 14 Feb 2010, 09:56 pm »
Hey Now!

I just got the 24-bit version downloaded a little while ago. I've only gotten through the first two tracks, and my head is about to explode. Sweet Baby Jesus, this is the best sounding live Dead tape I have ever heard.

To the... people at Rhino: This download is the way you need to release shows: 2-channel, 24-bit, with an option to download or buy audio on DVD (_Not_ DVD-A. Rather, like Classic Records has done w/ DAD).

Putting off a full listen until later today (time for night-night).

I couldn't agree with you more.  While I appreciate what Rhino does, they could be doing much better.