More about concerts and hearing damage

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
More about concerts and hearing damage
« on: 27 May 2016, 08:55 pm »
I keep thinking about KP's post from last week about the sonic assault of the SunnO concert (150 dbl!) and envisioning a whole generation or two of young audiophile-wannabes experiencing early hearing loss and wondering why we haven't heard about lawsuits. And then today I went to check on tickets for the Rochester Jazz Festival and found the below. Not only does it seem that you can't hold anyone accountable for injury, but by buying a ticket you agree to give away the right to your personal image. Yeehah!

Terms & Conditions:
NO REFUNDS OR EXCHANGES. ONCE REDEEMED FOR AN OFFICIAL PASS, THE PASS IS NOT TRANSFERABLE.

YOU ASSUME ALL RISK AND DANGER OF BEING INJURED IN ANY MANNER AND YOU AGREE THAT THE MANAGEMENT, ITS AGENTS, AND THE PERFORMERS ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANY INJURIES RESULTING FROM SUCH CAUSES. 

YOU HEREBY CONSENT TO THE USE OF YOUR IMAGE OR LIKENESS INCIDENTAL TO ANY DISPLAY, TRANSMISSION, OR REPRODUCTION OF THE EVENT. FESTIVAL STAFF RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REFUSE ADMISSION OR EJECT ANY PERSON WHO FAILS TO COMPLY WITH THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS HEREIN.
- See more at: http://rochesterjazz.com/php/ticket_info.php#sthash.9a3bGk3z.dpuf

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Re: More about concerts and hearing damage
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2016, 09:41 pm »
Disneyland tickets say the same thing, but with the words "hold harmless".

Have fun,

Jerry

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2016, 04:09 pm »
I go to a lot of concerts, a lot of them metal.  There seems to be a trend for louder and louder concerts I've seen through the last decade.  I usually bring foam earplugs as a result.  Who cares if it dims the top end, at least I'll be able to keep enjoying music. 

nullspace

« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2016, 07:04 pm »
Anymore, I wouldn't even think of going to a concert without earplugs. I have a couple pairs of the Etymotic ER20XS right now and would definitely recommend them.

Regards,
John

JoshK

« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2016, 08:35 pm »
I also use an app on my phone that tells me the SPL.  I think SPLmeter.   Anyway, it might not be super accurate, but its close compared to my calibrated mic within range I care.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2016, 09:51 pm »
I always wear earplugs at concerts. Hell, I even wear them at the movies.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #6 on: 29 May 2016, 10:17 pm »
I always wear earplugs at concerts. Hell, I even wear them at the movies.

So I'm not the only one who wears earplugs at movies! Good to know. Hell. I'm only half your age.  :wink:

dB Cooper

« Reply #7 on: 30 May 2016, 12:23 am »
I don't go to movie theatres much due to widespread rude and thoughtless audience behavior, but I sure wished I had plugs when I went to see 'The Force Awakens'. The sound in that theatre was loud AF. (Another reason I don't do theaters much; I like to have access to the volume control.)

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #8 on: 30 May 2016, 01:00 am »
So I'm not the only one who wears earplugs at movies! Good to know. Hell. I'm only half your age.  :wink:
If you're half my age I wish I'd adopted this practice at your age.

Guy 13

« Reply #9 on: 30 May 2016, 02:13 am »
I wish I would have taken more care about protecting my ears a long time ago
or when I set foot on planet Vietnam.
For about 8 years now, I wear ear plugs each and everytime I go out of my house.
Everywhere here it's noise, especially in the street where they drive with their horns...  :duh:
Another place where I wear my ear plugs is in the airplane,
noise level is high and constant for 15 hours (Chicago - Hong Kong)
It's important to protect your earing, because the damage is irreversable...

Guy 13

LesterSleepsIn

« Reply #10 on: 30 May 2016, 03:18 am »
Who cares if it dims the top end, at least I'll be able to keep enjoying music.

Well, it's not so much a diminishing of levels of hearing as it is tinnitus. Tinnitus is forever and will disrupt all your audiophile plans for listening nirvana. How many times have we read about an AC member who is selling off his system because of tinnitus? And raging tinnitus, the most severe form, has driven sufferers to suicide. So, the threat of it is not to be taken lightly. Pete Townsend is now a very morose fellow because of it. My regret is that I didn't start using earplugs at concets earlier. (Damn you Robert Fripp.)
I was just talking with a friend today who was the guitarist for Powerman 5000 and he told me that things are now out of control and that he wouldn't think of going to a concert without earplugs. My wife and I will no longer go to movies because of the noise levels.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #11 on: 30 May 2016, 04:36 am »
If you're half my age I wish I'd adopted this practice at your age.

You're very spirited for a 115 year-old.  :wink:

OzarkTom

« Reply #12 on: 30 May 2016, 04:39 am »
I am happy to say I have used ear plugs over 2/3rds of my life. When I was an audio dealer back in the 80's, I tested a lot of my customers with a test record. 1/3 of them could not hear above 13 kHz. Over another 1/2 could not hear above 10 kHz. Most men have damaged their hearing by 20-25 years old, using power tools, loud machines, or shooting guns without ear plugs. I learned long ago on how quick concerts can permanently damage your hearing. Just four concerts in four days will do it.

Here is some good info if you care about your hearing.

http://dangerousdecibels.org/education/information-center/noise-induced-hearing-loss/

I try and keep most of my system playing in the 65-75db range to keep from having any hearing loss.

dB Cooper

« Reply #13 on: 30 May 2016, 08:20 am »
I work with many young people, some of whose earbuds I can hear from as far as five feet away. The "personal audio" generation is going to experience hearing issues on a scale never before seen. Companies involved in closed-captioning and related assistive technologies might be good long-term investments. The market is going to be there, sad to say.

LesterSleepsIn

« Reply #14 on: 30 May 2016, 11:17 am »
I am happy to say I have used ear plugs over 2/3rds of my life. When I was an audio dealer back in the 80's, I tested a lot of my customers with a test record. 1/3 of them could not hear above 13 kHz. Over another 1/2 could not hear above 10 kHz. Most men have damaged their hearing by 20-25 years old, using power tools, loud machines, or shooting guns without ear plugs. I learned long ago on how quick concerts can permanently damage your hearing. Just four concerts in four days will do it.

Here is some good info if you care about your hearing.

http://dangerousdecibels.org/education/information-center/noise-induced-hearing-loss/

I try and keep most of my system playing in the 65-75db range to keep from having any hearing loss.

Thanks Tom, helpful article. I'm ordering the sound meter mentioned:
"Sound level meter shown here is sold for approximately $25-30 under “CEM”, “Tenma”, “Pyle” and other brand names. You can find this sound level meter at www.PartsExpress.com (#390- 722), www.Amazon.com, or other online "

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #15 on: 30 May 2016, 11:22 am »
Anymore, I wouldn't even think of going to a concert without earplugs. I have a couple pairs of the Etymotic ER20XS right now and would definitely recommend them.

Regards,
John

Funny, I wouldn't think of going to a concert where I thought I needed to wear hearing protection.

I've worn OSHA hearing protection when mowing.

orientalexpress

« Reply #16 on: 30 May 2016, 02:03 pm »
I just went to Carmen opera rehearsal last week  :thumb:.I can't bring myself to wear an earplug,the Live orchestra sound so good.i feel i miss the whole points to go to live show.unless you on stage performing,that i can understand.