HAL's MS-3 Music Server and dspMusik 6x8 DSP crossover and HiRez DAC's

HAL

The latest batch of dspMusik digital crossovers has arrived.  There are stock units available.

The HAL MS-3 and dspMusik demo system is available for trials with speakers using existing digital crossovers like the Behringer DCX2496, miniDSP and others.  I can program the dspMusik to emulate them for improved sound quality.

I have worked with both VMPS, GR-Research and Sanders speaker owners for digital crossovers with reported improved sound quality.

Please let me know if you have any questions about either product.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
The latest batch of dspMusik digital crossovers has arrived.  There are stock units available.
What's the pricing on this if only 4 channels are needed?  Also, is there phase inversion available on each channel? 

HAL

Jason,
There is no separate dspMusik 4 channel version.  You program the number of channels needed for the crossover and possibly subs.  Price is $1500 for the dspMusik. 

Every channel can have polarity inversion if needed.  The outputs are balanced, so that is one way, or adding processing for inversion is available.

HAL

Latest setup for using the HAL MS-3 and dspMusik with a three way OB system for listening. 

BG NEO3 tweeter, NEO10 midrange and two GR-Research 12" OB servo subs in 1x12" modular H-Frames with Rythmik HX300 servo amps.

Using ChipAmp kits to drive each planar driver.

Will be trying REW and a UMM-6 measurement mic to make the time delay measurements between the OB planar system and modular servo subs.   

HAL

Finishing the wiring of the 2x12" servo subs to the HX300 amps. 

My dspMusik crossover is in the plexiglass chassis to allow experimentation with new add-ons.  Have a microcontroller project to access the DSP and DAC functions.  This is to big to fit in the original dspMusik chassis, so working with the parts.

The microcontroller will have an LCD display, IR sensor, rotary encoder and switch for volume control and mute.  Have the microcontroller board working and doing the software to allow the controls.

HAL

Just finished programming the dspMusik for the VMPS RM50 speakers for standalone use.  Playing music as I type. 

This was the final test of the process to make the digital crossover available without the computer.
« Last Edit: 2 Jun 2015, 08:40 pm by HAL »

HAL

Pictures of the dspMusik digital crossover:

HAL

Reloading an MS-2 Music Server for a friend.  Hope it brings some music back into his life.

HAL

Received the Uptone Audio USB Regen today and will set it up with the MS-3 and dspMusik for some listening sessions. 

The USB Regen will be interesting in comparison to the iFi USB Power unit.

HAL

The Uptone Audio USB Regen amber version connecting the HAL MS-3 and dspMusik.

The USB Regen has been on for two days.  Will be checking it out soon.

HAL

Will be reworking a CAPS2 Music Server that is having some OS issues for woodsyi. 

This one will be controlling the dspMusik crossover in his setup once completed. 

stu

Hey Rich! Glad to see you back after your "ordeal". Hope you are feeling better now. I just got notification from MS that windows 10 will be here soon, and that I should reserve an upgrade. I would like to do that but do not want to do it if it will not work well on the MS-1, or not sound as good as windows 7 sounds. I doubt if I could go back to 7 again if 10 does not perform as well. What are your thoughts?

Also, I wanted to pass along my experience with a free upgrade from Fidelizer. It is a program that reconfigures the computer so that more of the processor is more dedicated to music reproduction. I was not really expecting much since I do not have much else on the MS-1 to use up processing power, but I was really surprised. From the very first notes I heard a definite improvement in sound quality. And the changes Fidelizer makes to your computer are not permanent. Each time you shut down the computer and reboot, it goes back to normal. You have to tell Fidelizer to reconfigure again. Definitely worth a try.

Take care Rich
Mark

HAL

Mark,
Doing much better!

I do not have an MS-1 anymore to test as my last one went to a band for recordings, but Windows 10 preview has worked well on both the MS-2 and MS-3 chassis with Atom processors.  I know that Chris has two MS-1's and is thinking about the same thing.  You two should collaborate on it.  The free upgrade is good for 1 year after release hopefully in July.

The good thing is that I can always use the original Windows 7 install CD and driver CD to rebuild the SSD for you.  I really like the sound quality of Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 on the newer machines. 

Glad you are enjoying Fidelizer.  I know a lot of people are using it on their Music Servers.  One day will give it a good trial.

stu

Thanks Rich, and  glad you are doing better. Based on your experience with windows  8 and the new 10, I will probably just go ahead and do the upgrade. Glad MS is allowing for free upgrades now! Hope Fidelizer works with 10 too. Once I get it done, I will let you know how it works.
Mark

HAL

Mark,
Sounds good.  Looking forward to your insights with the MS-1 and Win10.

HAL

Official release date for Windows 10 is July 29, 2015.

Will be building an MS-3 with the latest Windows 10 Insider Preview today.  This should include the new Edge web browser.  Once the full release has happened, will switch to that one for further testing.

HAL

The Windows 10 Pro OS install went well and all the programs are working normally.  Will be putting time on the system to check.

HAL

Rebuilding woodsyi's CAPS2 style Music Server as it was having problems with new program installs.  Files started disappearing, usually an indicator of drive problems.

New SSD drive installed and Windows 7 Ultimate OS and upgrades are being installed.

Will be installing the software to control his dspMusik digital crossover and the normal MS-3 software load so he can use his own DAC as well.

HAL

woodsyi's CAPS2 PC is now loaded as an MS-3 Music Server for running a dspMusik crossover and measuring with REW.

The 24 hour run-in check was fine and ready to pack up and take to him to swap for my MS-3. 

Have decided to try a two way OB line source using 10 planar magnetic midranges and the 6x12" servo array's per side.  Estimates for the drivers are in and putting together the funds to purchase. 

Since this is a single driver style OB line array speaker, going to try using impulse response correction techniques to flatten the planar response and then crossing over to the servo subs.  Each planar driver will have it's own amp in the line array to give full driver damping and give higher sensitivity. 

Looking forward to giving this a try. 

HAL

Will be setting up woodsyi's CAPS2 PC this evening with the dspMusik.