The Sony HAP-Z1ES Setup Advice/Troubleshooting Thread.

steve in jersey

Hey guys, I personally have'nt gotten one of these players yet, but am extremely interested & close to
"Pulling the trigger" on buying one of these players. it appears that a few "early adopters" however have'nt
fared as well as those who are enjoying their players. So I thought that by starting a "Ground Zero" base thread where other people could look at what might have gone wrong might be of service.

First & foremost everyone has to be on the same page as to exactly what & how something was done,before
anyone can begin to guess where the "root" of the problems may lie. Some of us use different terms for procedures & means of measurements. One example might be how many tracks you had planed to load,
rather than saying how much actual storage space all those tracks currently occupy in their current place
of storage. If need be create some new folders & move anything that is'nt a music file to a different location
You now know exactly how many Gb or Tbs of music you plan on transferring. I have one or two other
suggestions I could make but I would be guessing as to whether I'd addressed any problem until I could
confirm what was done.

Troubleshooting works best as a two-way line of communication. A different set of "eyes" may be all that is needed to "fix" whatever  might be causing a problem. So take a deep breath, relax & describe in detail
the "how, when & where" (maybe using the terms that Sony uses) & maybe someone can help you resolve
whatever went wrong. It is extremely unlikely that other people who have'nt had problems & did'nt find
it necessary to get Sony support all got lucky with their successful setups.

The next step is obviously is anyone who's had problems & is willing to share the details. Sony's support could
& would be a lot better if they were only a Dedicated Hi End Mfg ,they have their hands in many diversified
business, it may be a while before support for new products gets "up to speed". Put some more faith in being
able to resolve the problems without having Sony in the loop if at all possible.

peterlim8

Re: The Sony HAP-Z1ES Setup Advice/Troubleshooting Thread.
« Reply #1 on: 1 Apr 2014, 07:20 am »
Requesting for help???  :icon_lol:

Hap support up to 40,000 tracks, size doesn't matter. (hearsay)

Internal HDD can be replaced. The Hap comes with tool to reformat HDD and reload build default music file.

Transfer files by size, not by tracks, 100GB each night! you'll have the music play next day.

You may connect computer and HAP, peer-to-peer, using standard network cable. The transfer rate might be faster. However, you need to re-connect to Internet after the transfer because Hap need to build the database.

If you see ZERO file from the screen after the transfer, don't panic, connect the Hap to Internet and re-scan.

steve in jersey

« Reply #2 on: 1 Apr 2014, 03:12 pm »
Nevermind, I'm having a senior morning.

(You know, when you re-read something you thought someone said & it turns out you might have
to sign up for a reading comprehension course. I hope this was just a random event ; It's easy enough
for me to sound like I'm "Full of S&$T" on a normal day. No sense in my promoting that fact anymore
than I already do :o

OzarkTom

« Reply #3 on: 1 Apr 2014, 08:19 pm »
Steve, I have some bad news. You missed one on Audiogon, sold for $1450 about two weeks ago.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/media-servers-sony-es-hap-z1es-hdd-audio-player-like-new-2014-03-14-computer-audio-08807

steve in jersey

« Reply #4 on: 1 Apr 2014, 09:42 pm »
Tom, thanks for reminding me to keep an eye open to see what pops up on Audiogon, but I'm in a bit of a
"Money crunch" right now. Being an "Audio Equipment Hoarder" I should also consider seeing if sellers would have any interest in any equipment trades.

Thanks for keeping me in mind (Yeah, I'll bet a few people are thinking "Man, I hope this guy gets a player soon , so maybe he'll stop "yapping" a bit ; but to those people I'll sing a little refrain from an old Mac
Davis tune .." Oh Lord, it's hard to be humble, when your perfect in ever-ry way ; Damn, I miss my Taylor acoustic guitar !!! (He,he he).

Have no doubt though I gettin one (I wonder if smargo locks his doors & windows or believes in firearms or
big dogs, Nah I'm to old to worry about keeping my back to a wall in a prison cell)

OzarkTom

« Reply #5 on: 1 Apr 2014, 10:55 pm »
I kept going to Amazon everyday and drooled over the Z1 trying to decide yay or nay. One day someone had just put one up for $1700. I grabbed it as it was brand new, also got the 12 month no interest financing.  :thumb:

And that Audiogon seller was in Bridgewater Nj.

steve in jersey

« Reply #6 on: 1 Apr 2014, 11:53 pm »
Getting back to subject. I went back & searched through the HAP-ZIES Help Guide to see if (yes , I'm nuts
who looks at help guides for something they don't yet have ?) I could find the page saying that when the music transfer was done you received a confirmation that it was & you clicked ok & saved it ( or something ). I could'nt find it !.

Could someone who actually completed a transfer tell me if this is close to the what the message says & if you acknowledge & save it. ( or if this is a hallucination from some bad weed I may have smoked in the 60s )

That help guide is like a GPS that just took a huge dose of LSD, you may find what you're looking for
,but only by chance by going back & forth like.  Well,   Someone who has also altered their state of consciousness. (I joke around about possibly abusing substances in the 60's but it's just that....I don't remember being that hip or cool)

Thanks

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #7 on: 2 Apr 2014, 01:04 am »
Getting back to subject. I went back & searched through the HAP-ZIES Help Guide to see if (yes , I'm nuts
who looks at help guides for something they don't yet have ?) I could find the page saying that when the music transfer was done you received a confirmation that it was & you clicked ok & saved it ( or something ). I could'nt find it !.

Could someone who actually completed a transfer tell me if this is close to the what the message says & if you acknowledge & save it. ( or if this is a hallucination from some bad weed I may have smoked in the 60s )

That help guide is like a GPS that just took a huge dose of LSD, you may find what you're looking for
,but only by chance by going back & forth like.  Well,   Someone who has also altered their state of consciousness. (I joke around about possibly abusing substances in the 60's but it's just that....I don't remember being that hip or cool)

Thanks

Hi Steve,

Yes, after the transfer from your computer to the Z1ES is complete, a pop-up message alerts you that it is complete.  You think click "OK" and it goes away.  You don't have to save the message.  And a list of all the files that have been transferred is already saved.

I have a question for you all regarding DELETING files from the Z1ES:

You delete the folder from the list in your Contents Settings view, then press Apply.  But then when is that music folder taken off the Z1ES?  Because I started transfer after that and when it was done, the album was still on the Z1ES. 

I see that I can go into the internal disk drive of the Z1ES from the computer and delete files, so maybe that is how you take them off the player (as opposed to just taking them off the list)?  Just want to confirm w/ someone who knows for sure...

Thanks,

Vinnie

peterlim8

« Reply #8 on: 2 Apr 2014, 01:24 am »
I kept going to Amazon everyday and drooled over the Z1 trying to decide yay or nay. One day someone had just put one up for $1700. I grabbed it as it was brand new, also got the 12 month no interest financing.  :thumb:

And that Audiogon seller was in Bridgewater Nj.

As usual, there will be more used, or even a modded unit as well,  for sale one year down the road. Those who can wait, just wait for it!  :icon_lol:

peterlim8

« Reply #9 on: 2 Apr 2014, 01:27 am »
I have a question for you all regarding DELETING files from the Z1ES:

You delete the folder from the list in your Contents Settings view, then press Apply.  But then when is that music folder taken off the Z1ES?  Because I started transfer after that and when it was done, the album was still on the Z1ES. 

I see that I can go into the internal disk drive of the Z1ES from the computer and delete files, so maybe that is how you take them off the player (as opposed to just taking them off the list)?  Just want to confirm w/ someone who knows for sure...

Thanks,

Vinnie

Once you have deleted any physical copies, you need to re-scan to rebuild the music list (database). My experience only because I uploaded music files from different computers, and each has it own transfer log file.

And don't modify the log file, e.g. delete the transactions in the log file, it'll take longer time for the Hap to rebuild the database.

smargo

« Reply #10 on: 2 Apr 2014, 01:31 am »

Thanks,

Vinnie

Yes you have to go into the internal disk drive of the Z1ES which is on your computer - to delete any file you want. - you cant delete the file except on the internal disk drive  - thats the only way i know of

steve in jersey

« Reply #11 on: 2 Apr 2014, 02:03 am »
Yes you have to go into the internal disk drive of the Z1ES which is on your computer - to delete any file you want. - you cant delete the file except on the internal disk drive  - thats the only way i know of

Can you access this using the HDD Remote App from your iPad ? I never really thought about using the Computer you used to transfer the files with for anything else other than transfers. I would imagine that at this
point it would be ok to process thing from your Computer using a wireless mode, right?

I think it would be more convenient to do this using the HDD Remote App though, is that a go ?

smargo

« Reply #12 on: 2 Apr 2014, 04:27 am »

I think it would be more convenient to do this using the HDD Remote App though, is that a go ?

steve  - although with the app you can do a lot - im 97.5% you have to go on the computer to the HAP-Z1ES  and control deleting from there 

steve in jersey

« Reply #13 on: 2 Apr 2014, 05:39 am »
smargo, once again you were "right on the money" about deleting music files on the player internal (or external, depending on where the files happen to be. The HAP music transfer utility leaves a HAP icon on your Computer's start up screen that is the start button that opens up a window that offers you choices of selections to various HAP processes you can start.

peterlim8

« Reply #14 on: 11 Apr 2014, 07:46 am »
some idea of speed up the migration of music files to the z1-es  . Bypass the Hap music transfer software.

from #123

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/sony-hap-z1es-has-arrived-19079/index5.html

gbeard

• Contributing writer--Positive Feedback
« Reply #15 on: 4 Aug 2014, 02:00 pm »
Hello all,

I have a question about the Sony HDD Audio Remote. From what I can glean from the instructions, users should be able to select an entire album and use the "get music info" option to associate it with information from gracenotes.  That would be very useful, but every time I try to do that, I open the album and it doesn't let me select it.

Anybody have any ideas or advice?

Thanks,
Gary

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #16 on: 4 Aug 2014, 04:34 pm »
Gary, that and other functions are kinda hidden, like a lot of android functions... on the list of albums touch and hold the album and after 1-2 seconds a menu will pop up with a bunch of options. Also, when the album is playing there is a little "X" like symbol in the upper right, that gives you more options to search for info. Good luck! :wink:

gbeard

« Reply #17 on: 5 Aug 2014, 01:51 am »
Thanks Dave!

Seems to be working except it doesn't seem to save the new info for the "unknown album". Maybe it just takes a bit of time for the sync to catch up?

:scratch:

Do you know if there is a way to set the default of which category comes up first? ie Artists, Albums, etc... It always defaults to Genres, and I never use it!

DEP14

« Reply #18 on: 2 Jul 2015, 01:50 am »
Ok, suddenly my HAP Z1-ES has quit connecting to the gracenote server to "get music info"  Just stopped out of nowhere.  Error 34000.

Any tips?

Anyone have a decent contact at sony tech support they can get me.  The normal routes are useless.

gbeard

« Reply #19 on: 2 Jul 2015, 11:34 am »
Dunno. I've had a similar problem through my tablet--error 30200.  I've never had an issue before, so I believe it has to do with the firmware update to the machine and a new version of HDD Remote on 6/30/15. Late last night I went to the gracenote website on my tablet and computer and clicked on the link that tells you if you are connected. I was.  I also rebooted the HAP and reloaded HDD Remote. Afterward it found one album that did not have the correct artwork, so that it a positive step, but I am not sure if the issue is completely fixed. Fingers crossed, I'll know more tonight.