BRYSTON CD PLAYER SURVEY

srb

Re: BRYSTON CD PLAYER SURVEY
« Reply #200 on: 26 Aug 2014, 09:00 pm »
Though this photo is oriented correctly on my iMac, it's uploading incorrectly. Oh, well, lean your head, eh?

Just go to Gallery > Manage my albums >

Click on the album, then click on the image

Rotate left and Rotate right buttons take effect immediately

Steve

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #201 on: 26 Aug 2014, 09:28 pm »
Thanks for the tip, Steve. I tried this several times, alas to no avail. The image shows the proper orientation on the editing page thumbnail, but when I view it, the image is 90 degrees off. Odd, eh?

Rich

srb

« Reply #202 on: 26 Aug 2014, 10:29 pm »
I think it's just a matter of you needing to refresh your browser.  The photo is orientated correctly now.

Steve

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #203 on: 26 Aug 2014, 10:50 pm »
Thanks, Steve.

Rich

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #204 on: 27 Aug 2014, 12:40 am »
Rich, that's AWFUL! I'm so sorry. I've been through similar damage and appreciate the frustration. I'm so glad to hear you and your family were unharmed, and it's good news the home is structurally sound. Hopefully this quake took pressure off the faults and Napa can rest easy.

In an effort to be funny... HOW ARE THE GRAPE VINES??? Harvest is coming soon! :)

- Garrett

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #205 on: 28 Aug 2014, 07:27 pm »
The vines are smiling, Garrett.  :D

Thanks for your kind post. Other than cuts and bruises, mainly from cleanup, I'm doing okay. Our neighbors were away at the time, and I picked them up from SF International Airport on Tuesday. My wife and I had taken photos and cleaned their place as best we could, but my heart sank to tell them of the extensive damage. We probably have $30-50K in personal property loss, as well as damage to cars, so it will take awhile to recover. The structure looks to be okay, but I need to get an engineer to do a thorough inspection, as several homes in our area have been red tagged.

The loss of my Paradigm Reference Signature S8s and S4s will give me an opportunity to step up to Mr. T's speakers. Gotta look on the bright side, eh?

How are you enjoying your SP3? A great piece of kit, no? And I really like the dealer, far better service than any in my area.

Best,

Rich

R. Daneel

« Reply #206 on: 29 Aug 2014, 01:37 pm »

Thanks for your kind post. Other than cuts and bruises, mainly from cleanup, I'm doing okay. Our neighbors were away at the time, and I picked them up from SF International Airport on Tuesday. My wife and I had taken photos and cleaned their place as best we could, but my heart sank to tell them of the extensive damage. We probably have $30-50K in personal property loss, as well as damage to cars, so it will take awhile to recover. The structure looks to be okay, but I need to get an engineer to do a thorough inspection, as several homes in our area have been red tagged.

The loss of my Paradigm Reference Signature S8s and S4s will give me an opportunity to step up to Mr. T's speakers. Gotta look on the bright side, eh?

How are you enjoying your SP3? A great piece of kit, no? And I really like the dealer, far better service than any in my area.

Best,

Rich

Hi Rich!

Seeing things postively after a catastrophe is a rare virtue. I admire that!

Cheers!
Antun

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #207 on: 29 Aug 2014, 06:20 pm »

Best,

Rich

Reading your posts just reaffirms that I just don't have a good grasp of what Napa residents are going through. And as Antun commented, I'm in awe of your ability to keep a positive outlook.  :thumb:

I won't get to set up the SP3 until next week. The anticipation is driving me nuts! I'll let ya know as soon as I get it going.

- Garrett

PS - glad to hear the vines are in high spirits too! :)

rob80b

« Reply #208 on: 6 Sep 2014, 11:08 pm »
Hi Guys

So here's an example of what I've been "recently" experiencing, this while play some "KraftwerK" this afternoon so I thought I'd record it. For the last six years it was just the odd random irritating  "tick" which was present since when I first bought the BCD-1 new but  it has now deteriorated to outright skipping which it has never done in all the time I've had it. Now if I eject the disc and then reinsert and play the same tracks everything is fine.
If you listen at around the 20 second mark, the loud tick that you hear is what I first experienced back in 2009 but would occur only once in awhile so obviously difficult to trouble shoot and Bryston service was unable to duplicate the problem so I just lived with until now.
But as I've said it's is very random and may play one day with no problems at all and then start up like it did today but randomly on every disc, but there is obviously a playback problem. Mike has given me a RMA# so I'll be sending out next week, hopefully it will act up when it's on the bench.

Skipping & Ticking

Eject disc, reinsert no skipping

Finally!!! Got my BCD-1 back from service earlier this week and I am furious (LOL), besides the random ticking that drove me crazy for the last 5 years I did not notice how bad the overall sound had actually deteriorated (due to a faulty drive mechanism if I'm not mistaken)  but I'm glad to say I’m now once more experiencing the playback I once appreciated way back when  :hyper:.  I’m just upset I actually missed its full potential for all that time.(guess I should have screamed a little louder and I definitely do not miss those random ticks  :bawl: )
Anyway back to listening to music.  :D

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #209 on: 7 Sep 2014, 01:00 pm »
Folks,

I have hit a bit of a road block here. 

Do most of you feel that a CD Player will out-perform a dedicated computer based systems like our BDP and BDA?

james

mav52

« Reply #210 on: 7 Sep 2014, 02:04 pm »
Folks,

Do most of you feel that a CD Player will out-perform a dedicated computer based systems like our BDP and BDA?

james

I say it depends on the DACS used, the transport and laser quality, the build quality,  will your CD player provide a USB input, what formats will it support and cost structure vs a computer based system.  There are those that feel CD is a dead medium and a $400 player is all that's needed.   You should get a lot of opinions

Rod_S

« Reply #211 on: 7 Sep 2014, 02:27 pm »
If the same DACS are used as in the BDA then I don't see how it could be better or worse just it's equal. In theory if one thinks there will some minor degradation due to connecting another device in the signal chain i.e. connecting the BDP to the BDA then there might be some small advantage to having an all in one box like a CD player.

drummermitchell

« Reply #212 on: 7 Sep 2014, 02:31 pm »
Since I have had the BCD-1 for six years and have had only one hiccup with it,I'd vote for the BCD-1.
BUT,since having the BDP-2,the sound is just as if not better than the BCD-1.
I also had the BDA-1 dac and use to compare the BCD to the BDA dac(hard pressed to hear a difference).
The BDP-2 and BDA-2 are so much more convenient especially if you have to look thru a few hundred cds for one song.
the BDP-2 whether I'm upstairs or down I can make long playlists of exactly what I want to hear :thumb:
I know I've had a few troubles with my BDP-2,which did piss me off as I like listening to music a lot.
For me a CDP seems so Neanderthal now compared to the BDP's,seems I can't be without out it as I use to really depend on the BCD-1 heavily for playback.
Would I buy another cdp,NO as in an emergency I can use my Oppos for back up and try to find that one song out of 540 cd's.
I will(just in case buy another BDP )as it is just sounds to good.
Plus the CONVENIENCE of selecting songs and making a list to satisfy hrs of exactly of what I want to hear without going through all those cds.
Reminds of going thr a few hundred LPS for one cut :nono:,which I might spin twice a yr if I'm lucky on a 11,000 TT and PH stage.
BDP's are the Cat's as  for me and I never thought of giving up my BCD-1,gee thanks Robert :lol:.

spinner

« Reply #213 on: 7 Sep 2014, 03:02 pm »
  I will always  prefer the one piece players over any computer system. Hope Bryston will proceed with plans to make an even finer unit than the BCD-1 . :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #214 on: 7 Sep 2014, 03:13 pm »

For me a CDP seems so Neanderthal now compared to the BDP's,

I'd concur.  I had a BDA-1 and BCD-1 at one point and a modded Oppo BDP-83 (which I still have in a back-up system).  Playing CDs either straight through the BCD-1 vs. through either transport I would be hard pressed to tell any difference.  I used the modded Oppo with an HDMI de-embedder at one point (to do 24/88.2 from SACD into the BDA-1) and preferred listening to SACDs that way vs. the modded player (although there were positives and negatives), not to mention the Oppo will do 24/192 via the coax out on DVD-As too.  After going to file based playback, I rarely ever use a disc (for me personally perhaps not even once a year in the main system and perhaps a few times a year in one back-up system and maybe once a month in the system with the old modded BDP-83) and will usually only do so when someone wants to hear music they have on disc with them.  With a large collection of music (both hi-rez and CDs), it is so much easier via file playback and a CD player (at least a conventional one) can only do CDs.

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #215 on: 7 Sep 2014, 03:25 pm »
Folks,

james

Outperform, no, James. Hi-res files through the BDP/BDA are spectacular. But where a standalone player would shine is in convenience and accessibility. Not everyone wants a computer-based system. Consider the nature and extent of very techie questions on the BDP threads, and the strength of many participants' technical abilities. Many, if not most, of these questions are non-issues with a standalone CD player.

Don't forget the WAF as well; the ability to turn on the gear, slip in a disc, and have music going quickly is valuable to a family's enjoyment of the audio system. While I might play a CD using the BOT-1 through my BDP-2, my wife will not want to do this. The ability to use the CD player's DAC  independent of its transport might appeal to both file geeks and disc fans.

As mav52 notes, quality is an issue; how many excellent dedicated CD players remain beyond the unaffordable high end and the mid-priced mediocre spread? If Bryston pursues this product, we can be confident of quality and a strong price-performance ratio.

Rich

Phil A

« Reply #216 on: 7 Sep 2014, 03:46 pm »
Out
Don't forget the WAF as well; the ability to turn on the gear, slip in a disc, and have music going quickly is valuable to a family's enjoyment of the audio system.
Rich

Yes - I agree for those who have more than one user in the household the simplicity of slipping in a disc is definitely important.  It is not an issue for me and would never be as I have multiple systems and also would not want someone not comfortable turning on my main system anyway.  For a casual user, a simpler system is better anyway.

bjski

« Reply #217 on: 7 Sep 2014, 04:42 pm »
James, I'm not sure you could top the BDP-2/BDA-2. The sound quality is amazing and once someone masters the media player in the BDP-1/2 the convenience is hard to beat. Yes there are some bugs but they are a minor inconvenience.

I don't think I played my BDC-1 once in the last 6 months. I believe the last time I played the BDC-1 was a comparison test with several friends. Granted this was a casual listening experiment yet everyone choose the BDP-1/BDA-2.

The BOT is what I'm interested in along with DSD and the Hard drive system/enclosure's Bryston talking about. However a new CD player that could play SACD and Blue Ray would certainly grab my attention.

I do believe there is a market for a new CD player. Some people enjoy the convenience of just playing a disc. Others might never buy into computer audio. I just think you need to take a look at the feature's that you would include in a new player.

Bryston is famous for making fantastic audio at reasonable prices. Why not a statement DAC, BDA-3 for about $5000? :thumb:

BrystonFan

« Reply #218 on: 7 Sep 2014, 04:44 pm »
BCD-2 for Christmas 2014 James!   :thumb:
Do it for all the WAFs and simple drop & play fans too.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #219 on: 7 Sep 2014, 04:52 pm »

That would depend on the CD player, of course. I've certainly heard some that do. Also, others which do not.

Now... about that word "neanderthal" which is starting to get tossed around in this thread :

The convenience aspect of going to a computer-based system has obvious appeal providing that you are willing and able to deal with keeping it up and running but I also know people who have gone back to CD players from computer-based audio systems and enjoyed an improvement in sound. Are these people "neanderthals" ? Or are they more high-evolved audiophiles who are unwilling to trade ultimate sound quality for convenience ? It's all a matter of perspective, priority and opinion. Throwing around words which are obviously inflammatory and potentially insulting does not make the computer-audio set sound more evolved than the people here who have chosen a different path, but it certainly makes them sound kinda elitist.

The fact that our host is re-considering Bryston's relatively recent exit from the CD-player market should inform some people here that they may not necessarily be adhering to the One True Faith after all so let's respect each other's views here, shall we?

D.D.