Blue Ray Player Image Quality - Any Difference in Your Experience?

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
When I set up my home theater room about 2.5 years ago I went for an entry level Panasonic Blue Ray player assuming that for Blu Ray movies (what I watch more than 90% of the time), the image quality was roughly comparable between different Blu Ray players, and as the audio would be handled by my Marantz processor (AV7005), I didn't need it to have a high end analog audio section, which I wouldn't be using. So basically I bought the Panasonic almost as a transport and knowing that they typically boot the fastest and were well regarded.

My questions to folks out there : have any of you found noticeable image / picture quality differences between Blu Ray players playing back Blu Rays discs?  I know some are better for upscaling regular DVDs - but I'm referring to image quality just for Blu Rays.     

In particular would be interested to hear from people who own or have seen the current Oppo Blu Rays players, as these seem to be the gold standard.  The Darbee Editions w/ the integrated Darbee processor seems to be an interesting new twist. 

My gut tells me that there probably isn't much difference in image quality for Blu Rays between different players, but would be interested to here from those with actual experience.

wushuliu

I think there was a thread with this exact question not too long ago. IMO *theoretically* there should be no difference but it's all about implementation. It's not like there's just a blu ray chip in a box and that's it. I've demoed a number of different blu ray players and some were preferable to others. I tried out a $50 Panasonic Blu Ray and it had piss poor image quality compared to my other Panasonic 210. Going by Amazon reviews it also seems overall QC has dropped with recent players, lots more complaints. Now the players feel like superlight rickety cheap garbage, even the >$100 ones. Whereas if you research older models reviews tend be more positive (with the exception of Samsung who for a time had defective players out).

If I were in the market for a player I would either get a used older model or get an Oppo.

bearman2

I have a Oppo 105 that I play thru a LG plasma and the quality is great. I also have a middle of the road Sony that plays thru a Sony LED and it is really good. I prefer the plasma but I think that is due to the TV. The Sony weighs very little and OPPO does have some weight to it. There is an OPPO on Audiogon  and I'm sure there will be more as they become more popular. If you are not concerned about the audio quality maybe you should buy a used OPPO for the price of a new other brand.

*Scotty*

The same process of decontenting and making ever cheaper versions of a product was also seen with CD players and then DVD players. This more of the same thing.
In the very near future it may well be impossible to buy a durable good of any kind at any price.
 Progress strikes again. Its a TIMEX world.
Scotty

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
The same process of decontenting and making ever cheaper versions of a product was also seen with CD players and then DVD players. This more of the same thing.
In the very near future it may well be impossible to buy a durable good of any kind at any price.
 Progress strikes again. Its a TIMEX world.
Scotty

this has happened to me with cheap dvd players!
however with quality brands like philips,sony,etc i havent had any problems

thanks scotty...
« Last Edit: 9 Mar 2014, 12:04 am by G Georgopoulos »

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
Each subsequent blu ray player I've had has felt a lot flimsier than the last - at least chassis-wise.  First a Pioneer Elite (built like a tank), then a Panasonic BD 35, then a Panasonic BDT110 (current).  Friend bought a Panasonic not to long ago - I think the highly rated BDT230 - and I was surprised how unsubstantial it felt. 

Nonetheless - I guess it's what's inside that counts.  And here I'm still wondering if for blu ray play back there's any substantial difference in image quality.  Wushuliu is the first I've heard say from personal experience that the bargain basement Panasonic was worse.  I know most would say get an Oppo 103D, but before I plunk any money down would still appreciate hearing any testimonials from folks out there who've watched the Oppo vs alternatives - or otherwise found other blu ray players that seemed noticeably better picture-wise.  Or even if someone has a link to a worth while page out there….. 

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
I have tried a Samsung, ps3 and an Oppo 83. Picture quality on my 120 inch screen was the best with the Oppo. Not by a huge margin but better never the less. The Samsung was kind of pricey, although I do not remember how much. Did work well, pq was really nice but needed firmware updates rather often.
The Oppo has been very solid with only 2 or 3 firmware updates since I bought it. The ps3 does a decent job but have only used for blu-rays a few times.
My next will be another Oppo.. Pq just seems better with the Oppo at least in my setup.

skeeter99

I have an Oppo BDP-95 and Panasonic BD-35. The Oppo has two HDMI outputs, output 1 has the Marvell QDEO video processor tied to it. I did a little experiment last weekend hooking both the HDMI outputs on the Oppo to my 70" TV. All settings the same on both outputs and on the TV. The picture quality was noticeably better on the input using the HDMI 1 output of the Oppo! I was surprised actually and asked others who were in the house at the time to see if they could see and 100% of them picked them same one without me telling which was which. The Panasonic isn't even close. Much grainier, less shadow detail, etc. It's in the details that the nicer ones shine through.

I haven't seen any of the Darbee editions yet but if Darbee can do what Marvell can do but better, I'd be all over it if I were you.

Good luck!

Scott

Big Red Machine

Oppo 103D is markedly better than my older Panasonic BD30 unit.  Glad I bought it.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
Thanks guys - this feedback is very useful to me. 

I assume the comparisons you mention vs the Oppo's has been with Blu Ray discs?  I'd expect the Oppo to be best with upscaling standard def DVD's.

wushuliu

Thanks guys - this feedback is very useful to me. 

I assume the comparisons you mention vs the Oppo's has been with Blu Ray discs?  I'd expect the Oppo to be best with upscaling standard def DVD's.

I believe Secrets of Home Theater HiFi does blu ray bench testing as well as dvd upscaling. Maybe check their reviews out to get a sense of some of the potential differences that can arise between players.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/blu-ray-players/blu-ray-players-reviews.html

Austin08

My Oppo 105 produces better picture compare to my old Sony S550. Both using hdmi and same factory setting. Even pictures/movies going from my PC through Oppo hdmi input look excellent.

Phil A

I had a PS3 in my old basement system on a mid level 720p projector with an 88 inch screen.  The Oppo BDP-93 was a huge difference.  I swapped the PS3 to a system with a 55 inch LED where I had the Oppo.  There was a difference but not as big as I experienced in the basement system.  I have since moved and have two 103Ds.  Have not unboxed one yet for the main system and am in process of setting up the other on the 55 inch LED.  I have the PS3 set-up now on a 50 inch LCD and it is passable.  I have used both the Spears and Munsil disc and my colorimeter in moving players around to optimize them for displays.  I have the original fat PS3.  In my opinion it is OK for Blu-Ray.  If I were buying it for Blu-Ray alone, to me it would be a poor choice.  I don't care that much as it is in a fourth system and I can do other things with it.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
Seems pretty unanimous on Oppo Blu Ray players.  Thanks wushuliu for the hometheaterhifi link.  Read a few reviews including the one for the Oppo 103.  There were other Blu Ray players that could handle the basic reproduction of Blu Ray's without significant problems (including the one I currently have), and at significantly less cost, but only the Oppo seemed to get a 100% grade for everything. 

It was interesting that the conclusion on the 103 was that for picture quality there wasn't a discernible difference between the 103 / 93 / 83 as they all pretty much were flawless.  The 103 did give you faster loading and more bells & whistles (e.g. Netflix at up to 1080P / 5.1).  Seeing that 93's don't really go for a discount vs the 103's, even used, guess there's no point not to go with a 103.

Now the question would be to Darbee or not to Darbee @ $100 extra.  One person PMed me to suggest an external Darbee unit for functionality w/ more sources, but 80% of my viewing is Blu Ray's & the other 20% streaming (Netflix / HBO Go / a bit of broadcast tv).  And as the 103 has dual HDMI inputs, that's probably all I'll really need.

It was reassuring to know my current blu ray player is pretty much spot on for Blu Ray.  And surprising that successor Panasonic models such as the BDT230 are not recommended.  So though I'm not in a rush yet to get another Blu Ray player, seems like my next one will be an Oppo 103D. Even at 2-3 times the cost of much of the competition, still seems to be worth it.

Big Red Machine

Mine is darbee, for $100 more it is too easy.  And it works and on the fly changeable!

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
Even though this thread may have run it's course, thought I'd link to a recent post in Sound & Vision which asked the same question I did, and how they chose to answer it :

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/do-all-blu-ray-players-perform-same

The message I got was "for 1080P movies, most are very similar, though for very large screens the Oppo 103 or 103D may have an advantage.  If you need to deinterlace from 480i or 1080i to 1080p, some may do a better job, particularly the latest Oppo's".

So I guess the message still is : get an Oppo if you can afford it.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
I'm demoing an Oppo 105D finally. I am blown away how good the image quality is vs my cheapo Panasonic, ESPECIALLY with the darbee enhancement on (set to hi-def 50%). WOW - it's like I have a new projector. I'm mesmerized watching avatar. Guess at least a 103D is in my future.

Really quick as well. I could swear it even sounds better even with my processor handling the decoding & d to a. Somewhat less shrill and less nasal. Maybe because of cleaner power supply?

Those who have the "d" darbee edition, what do you set yours at?

Phil A

I'm demoing an Oppo 105D finally. I am blown away how good the image quality is vs my cheapo Panasonic, ESPECIALLY with the darbee enhancement on (set to hi-def 50%). WOW - it's like I have a new projector. I'm mesmerized watching avatar. Guess at least a 103D is in my future.

Really quick as well. I could swear it even sounds better even with my processor handling the decoding & d to a. Somewhat less shrill and less nasal. Maybe because of cleaner power supply?

Those who have the "d" darbee edition, what do you set yours at?

Jon - saw a review somewhere by someone really technical and they recommended no more than 35%.  I set both of my 103Ds at that for now.  One room I've just watched a couple of movies and in the main room about a couple of dozen to date.  I've told you Oppo all along.  I had my friend Josh over watching Avatar after swapping a PS3 for the 93 in my old basement system and we were both blown away.  He could not believe when I told him that projector could only do 720p.  I've had the PS3 and now a Sony Blu-Ray player up in my bonus (guest room) with my Spears and Munsil test disc.  I can wait until I upgrade to another Oppo in a year so I can move an Oppo up there.  I have a modded 83 (and that is in a room that is essentially a two channel system), 93, two 103Ds and even an old 980 DVD universal.  I might actually swap the 83 and 93 (in my bedroom system now) depending on what I want to do.  I have hard drives attached to my 103Ds, including DSD files.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Phil (or anybody), have you tried the PS4 for BluRay. I'm curious to hear your opinion of where it stacks up against the Oppo's and PS3.