Dead and Company / You Know Our Love Not Fade Away!!

stlrman

F##k Yeah !! :thumb: :thumb:
First time I have seen or heard Jon Mayer with the band !!
He fits in great . Killer voice ! And everyone should know he can play the shit out of the guitar!!!
I'd say perfect fit. Listen to this ...
You tell me? Do they not sound great with Jon ??

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cutI6c75TrM

jriggy

Re: Dead and Company / You Know Our Love Not Fade Away!!
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2016, 01:21 pm »
Go Bobby Go! So happy for the boys! Happy they have found someone they like playing with and can keep the train a rollin' as long as they want to. Wish Phil was up to touring, too but still happy to see em all still loving it.

Have everyone seen- The Other One: The Long Strange Trip of Bob Weir. Its on Netflix. It is an excellent documentary. A must see.

*Scotty*

« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2016, 04:34 pm »
You can watch the Dead and Company mini-concert hosted by Jimmy Kimmel Live on Youtube and by now their performance of Althea might be up also. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xk0E-UciJFM
Scotty

lokie

« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2016, 05:20 pm »
Seeing them this summer in Boulder. Can't wait.

martyo

« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2016, 06:01 pm »
Last summer was fun and Trey is a great guitar player but F***'n Jon Mayer smokes it.

I really liked the Bobby video on Netflix too.

Mike B.

« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2016, 06:20 pm »
They are getting beat up like the Who. No Jerry. No Phil.

jriggy

« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2016, 07:00 pm »
They are getting beat up like the Who. No Jerry. No Phil.

Don't be mistaken...this is not the Grateful Dead. Unlike other bands, when Jerry died, the Grateful Dead was over. Each member has gone on to do their own thing for the past 20+ years. Just so happens this band has 3 of the four surviving members. Minus Phil. Phil still plays, he just likes things a little different and prefers to do "residencies" at venues and stay off the road, avoiding travel days. But there has been many incarnations of Dead member projects with anywhere from one to four surviving members. None of them pretending to be something they are not --new members, new arrangements  of songs, varying setlist formulas and so forth.

If getting older means being 'beat up' then so be it. Personally, I disagree.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2016, 07:56 pm »
Last summer was fun and Trey is a great guitar player but F***'n Jon Mayer smokes it.

I really liked the Bobby video on Netflix too.

Slightly off topic, but Jon Mayer is not Trey when it comes to guitar chops.   :duel:

I wouldn't compare Trey playing last year with Jon this year.  By all accounts Trey was holding back and not letting things fully rip.

I have seen both, like both, but to me, Trey is clearly a more talented musician.

George
« Last Edit: 12 May 2016, 09:04 pm by zybar »

Factorz

« Reply #8 on: 12 May 2016, 08:53 pm »
I think Phil's health kept him from hitting the road. Plus like someone said he likes to do the Terrapin shows instead. I thought I had read at one time before Jerry died the band had a plan to build a place to play and no longer tour, but just setup shop and do shows there. Very similar to what Phil does at Terrapin.