Neopanel and Tweeter Waveguides

OldiesButGoodies

Neopanel and Tweeter Waveguides
« on: 15 Apr 2017, 03:10 pm »
Hello everyone - happy weekend! 

Wondering if there are guides anywhere to DIY the waveguides for the neopanel etc.  since they are no longer available.  I was going to give it a try just from looking at pictures,  but would appreciate any hep:
  • I assume the top layer is felt and the bottom layer is foam - though not sure what density
  • Can one of you take a closeup/macro pic of a panel with the guide so I can get a better sense of the exact shapes and size? If you do please PM me so I can share my email and send me the high-res files (will post them here later)
  • Any comments on the effect of adding these vs using them as-is?  I assume db output levels are slightly reduced because some of the ribbon area is covered.  How is imaging affected?
  • If the topic has been covered before and/or elsewhere,  please point me in that direction...

Thanks in advance!

Jose

Stimpy

Re: Neopanel and Tweeter Waveguides
« Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 2017, 05:53 pm »
This thread might help.  Some pictures and lots of discussion.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=93152.0

John Casler

« Reply #2 on: 15 Apr 2017, 06:02 pm »
The link Stimpy posted should give you most of the information you might need.

Note, that the CDWG are actually made of a Stiff Material (like plastic/fiberglass) to make them a barrier to any sound going through them.

They have foam or felt on both the front and the back to damp unwanted reflections (back into the driver, and off the frontal area of the CDWG)

It is VERY important that you read and look for the "exact" width of the space between them, for them to function properly.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #3 on: 16 Apr 2017, 01:23 am »
Thanks John!  I read through most of the posts in the link Stimpy posted (very useful) and ended up trying just felt on the tweeter.  This made a very positive impact smoothing out the top end.

audio by Jose Sifontes, on Flickr

Doug Ravizza

« Reply #4 on: 16 Apr 2017, 01:45 pm »
Hi OBG,

Here are a couple of sketches I made several years ago by taking measurements from my RM30 Series II wave guides. My son used them to fabricate a set for his RM30 Ms.

-Doug

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #5 on: 19 Apr 2017, 12:38 am »
THANK YOU Doug!!!

ZAKski288

« Reply #6 on: 19 Apr 2017, 02:50 am »
THANK YOU Doug!!!
+2 on the great sketches.
To all, where is good place to source the 3/8" acoustic foam in a sheet, and is it open or closed cell foam? The FOAM Brian used was some nice stuff, all my previous attempts came up short. Thanks Zak
« Last Edit: 19 Apr 2017, 03:59 pm by ZAKski288 »