Pez and Tyson's Best of RMAF- the ultimate guide to awesomeness.

Rclark

Re: Best of RMAF
« Reply #20 on: 15 Oct 2012, 08:05 pm »

Those Zellatons look badass.

(and go Emotiva go!)

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #21 on: 15 Oct 2012, 09:09 pm »
Different show, AKFest this summer.
Oh sorry, I thought he was talking present tense, not future. My bad.

Rx8man

« Reply #22 on: 16 Oct 2012, 12:27 am »
Odyssey Kismet Reference Monitors, couldn't find the name at first.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
  The Analysis room featured the new Arion tubed linestage and Arion  hybrid  [ 6H30 for input ] class "D" monoblocks this year. Last year was the previous SS version.
   For Swap Meet Audio it is an honor to be associated with two of your best room selections. We are very proud to rep and sell most these products. Thank you again. FYI the Analysis are not Apogee clones. granted they look similar however designed and built from the ground up in Greece. The Omega this year featured an outboard crossover designed by Mike K.

charles
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2012, 06:26 pm by rollo »

wisnon

Outstandingly enjoyable coverage. Even better that it was a 2 man effort...gave us the ying and yang.

Tell me, did you guys cover the Legacy Aeris speaker in the blog?

Pez

Unfortunately we missed a lot at this show. It's impossible to see everything. Or even majority of things. Let that sink in for a minute, 3 full days busting our asses, maybe saw 1/3rd of the show. If you count the fact we missed CanJam we probably saw 1/4th of the show.

Any way what you see is everything we saw.  :o

Quiet Earth

Is RMAF bigger than T.H.E. Show (CES) ?

..... just curious.

mgalusha

« Reply #27 on: 16 Oct 2012, 06:55 pm »
The tweets in those Emotiva bookshelves look like air motion transformers, NOT classic ribbons.

That is correct, I spent some time talking with the gent running the room and he verified they are using an AMT.

wisnon

Thanks.

Given that I use Heil AMT speakers, I am acutely aware of them. You call them Oskars in the US.

Precide makes the best AMTs in my informed opinion. Their big Heils are crossed at 650hz with a 12db 2nd order crossover filter, while ESS used a 24db crossover filter at 900hz. This is why the Kithara has energy down to 400hz!!! They use the best materials for the membrane. They always run them in a dipole config...never monopole like the many imitators. The Swiss manufacturer was a very close personal friend of  the late Dr Heil.

wisnon

Unfortunately we missed a lot at this show. It's impossible to see everything. Or even majority of things. Let that sink in for a minute, 3 full days busting our asses, maybe saw 1/3rd of the show. If you count the fact we missed CanJam we probably saw 1/4th of the show.

Any way what you see is everything we saw.  :o

Tell me about it. Zurich is a MUCH smaller show and last year I only saw half of it in 5 hours. This year I hope to do better.

AlexG

• Industry Participant
Jason and Tyson,

Thanks a lot to both of you for your kind comments and precise review regarding our room at the show. Klaus and I always felt very good and satisfied with the sound quality we produced at past shows over the years...but this year was something so very special!! It is absolutely clear in my mind (and to my ears) that you must use some form of "professional acoustic treatments". This year indeed made the diference...you guys made the comment last year, and we listened!!

Below is my take of both you guys  :o

Thanks again for the great coverage of the show...I don't know how you guys make it every year...just superb and to the point!!

All the best.

Alex   

Quiet Earth

Can we see a picture of the room treatments?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
Is RMAF bigger than T.H.E. Show (CES) ?

..... just curious.
I've never been to either one, but from what I've read, CES is MUCH MUCH larger than RMAF.
But CES is all the main stream (Sony, Bose, etc...) audio, video, and any kind of electronics you can think of including automotive stuff.

Bob

Quiet Earth

I went to CES last January, that's why I asked.

THE SHOW which is near CES is what I focused on. It looked just like RMAF, but I didn't know if it was bigger or smaller in scale.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
I went to CES last January, that's why I asked.

THE SHOW which is near CES is what I focused on. It looked just like RMAF, but I didn't know if it was bigger or smaller in scale.

The audio portion of CES is in the Venetian, on mainly 5 floors of one wing (27-31).  It is set up VERY much like RMAF.  The Flamingo hosts an alternate RMAF-like setup called T.H.E. Show and is set up in the basement and 2 floors or so of the Flamingo.  Together, in my estimation, they don't equal RMAF at all.   Also, a few vendors reserve a large alternate penthouse kind of setup away from both the Venetian or Flamingo, for reserved guest and higher end dealers.  Those are, of course, tougher to attend.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  Together, in my estimation, they don't equal RMAF at all.
The whole show, or just the audio part of it?

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
The whole show, or just the audio part of it?

The Venetian (audio portion of CES), plus the THE Show (all audio) does not equal the size of RMAF (it might be close, but I still think RMAF is bigger).  Oh, and I forgot about the mezzanine ballroom areas at the Venetian too, but that's only another 20 vendors or so.  CES as a whole is freaking enormous, but 80+% of it is at the Convention Center and is non-audiophile (tvs, electronics, portable electronics, etc etc).

tdangelo

+1 on the AMR/Rosso combo.  I am just a bit biased though  :lol:

Tony

Quiet Earth

The Venetian (audio portion of CES), plus the THE Show (all audio) does not equal the size of RMAF (it might be close, but I still think RMAF is bigger).  Oh, and I forgot about the mezzanine ballroom areas at the Venetian too, but that's only another 20 vendors or so.  CES as a whole is freaking enormous, but 80+% of it is at the Convention Center and is non-audiophile (tvs, electronics, portable electronics, etc etc).

Thanks Ted. That's what I wanted to know.

I saw just about everything (high end audio related) in the Venitian and the Flamingo, etc., last January. I was thinking about skipping it next January and trying RMAF in 2013 instead. Sounds like it would be totally worth it, plus it's good to take a little break from seeing the same stuff over and over.

:thumb:

Don_S

I am not so sure RMAF is bigger than CES (high end audio only) plus T.H.E. Show.  Last year between the CES high end audio at the Venetian and T.H.E. Show at the Flamingo I counted over 240 suites or rooms.  That is based upon show literature showing the floor plans.

Many suites at the Venetian had more than one system set up.  Definitely not ideal conditions but overwhelming in the amount of equipment present.

There is a lot of overlap between RMAF and CES/T.H.E. Show but there also quite a few vendors who only exhibit at one event.  The focus of the shows is quite different with regards to target audience.
« Last Edit: 17 Oct 2012, 03:15 pm by Don_S »