BDA-3 DAC

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDA-3 Audio Return Channel
« Reply #740 on: 10 Mar 2017, 11:49 am »
Does the BDA-3 have ARC?
Today, watching a blu ray (Oppo) with sound on my stereo, I have HDMI to the tv and optic to my BDA-1. Watching regular or smart TV the sound is also sent optical to my BDA-1 from the TV. I am waiting for my BDA-3 and plan to run the blu ray through the BDA-3 to the TV, expecting this to be an upgrade. Will I still need the optical( or a second hdmi) from my tv to my BDA-3? My tv is ARC ready and I used to have a receiver accepting the return channel.   

I will ask Chris on this but with the HDMI it should only need the one connection.

james

BSC

Re: BDA-3 DAC
« Reply #741 on: 11 Mar 2017, 10:56 pm »
Not sure how your system is set up but using my Oppo to the TV I use 2 HDMI's ...one from HDMI 1 for Audio to the BDA-3 (SACD etc and  it will do other audio from the Oppo) and HDMI 2 direct to my TV which sends the TV picture.

However I also use a digital out from my TV to my BDA-3 which is optical which means all my TV based stuff-it's an Android TV goes through my BDA-3 and amp.....

BSC

« Reply #742 on: 11 Mar 2017, 10:57 pm »
[

BSC

« Reply #743 on: 11 Mar 2017, 10:59 pm »
Does the BDA-3 have ARC?
Today, watching a blu ray (Oppo) with sound on my stereo, I have HDMI to the tv and optic to my BDA-1. Watching regular or smart TV the sound is also sent optical to my BDA-1 from the TV. I am waiting for my BDA-3 and plan to run the blu ray through the BDA-3 to the TV, expecting this to be an upgrade. Will I still need the optical( or a second hdmi) from my tv to my BDA-3? My tv is ARC ready and I used to have a receiver accepting the return channel.   

Not sure how your system is set up but using my Oppo to the TV I use 2 HDMI's ...one from HDMI 1 for Audio to the BDA-3 (SACD etc and  it will do other audio from the Oppo) and HDMI 2 direct to my TV which sends the TV picture.

However I also use a digital out from my TV to my BDA-3 which is optical which means all my TV based stuff-it's an Android TV goes through my BDA-3 and amp.....
Modify message

Bones13

« Reply #744 on: 14 Mar 2017, 10:52 am »
I believe that the ARC he is asking about is a remote control protocol, which travels over the HDMI connection. I don't know that answer, as all my components can get an IR signal in my room.

I use the BDA-3 as a true HRMI switcher, with a cable box, Oppo BluRay, and AppleTV plugged into the DAC, and the HDMI out to the TV (blue jeans cable makes a lovely long HDMI cable to your length). All sound comes through the DAC of course.

audio.bill

« Reply #745 on: 14 Mar 2017, 01:29 pm »

James Tanner

• Facilitator

Bones13

« Reply #747 on: 15 Mar 2017, 10:53 am »
ARC - Audio Return Channel --> http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/arc.aspx

I sure remembered that wrong! Thanks.

Raimo

« Reply #748 on: 17 Mar 2017, 11:16 am »
Hallo James, my BDA3 just arrived but the salesman forgot the invoice. I did not get any invoice  with the amp either. When i contacted him about that he claimed that the Paypal invoice would do. But he promised that he would send both invoices with the BDA3 but he clearly forgot that. Is it correct that the Paypal invoice is enough?
I will get back with my impressions of the BDA3.
Best Regards Raimo.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #749 on: 17 Mar 2017, 12:37 pm »
Hallo James, my BDA3 just arrived but the salesman forgot the invoice. I did not get any invoice  with the amp either. When i contacted him about that he claimed that the Paypal invoice would do. But he promised that he would send both invoices with the BDA3 but he clearly forgot that. Is it correct that the Paypal invoice is enough?
I will get back with my impressions of the BDA3.
Best Regards Raimo.

Hi Raimo

Email me the dealer you bought from and the serial numbers of both units and I will confirm the warranty for you.  jamestanner@bryston.com

Look forward to your impressions - what DAC did you have before?

james

Raimo

« Reply #750 on: 17 Mar 2017, 10:27 pm »
Hi Raimo

Email me the dealer you bought from and the serial numbers of both units and I will confirm the warranty for you.  jamestanner@bryston.com

Look forward to your impressions - what DAC did you have before?

james
Hi James,thank you. Will check that tomorrow and come back to you.
My reference for the past 10 years is a DVD player. Pioneer DV668, a very fine player indeed.
I found a jused BDA1 just before christmas and i liked it very much but with some records the Pioneer sounded more relaxed and smooth.
But with the new 4B3 vs 4BSST it sounded much better, so it was more the amp than the Dac.
I got the time to play a few records with the BDA3 fresh out of the box and the first impression is a very open,smooth and detailed
sound.
It does not draw attention to it self, it is just the music.
It has the same character as the 4B3, and i really like it :P.
I will fill in with more imressions when it has burnt in fore a few days.
I found a used BP26 from Basically Sound in England, looking forward to hear it :D. I will comment on my impressions when i get it.
It is very rare to find used Bryston products in Sweden.
The problem is that the dealership for Sweden is in Norway, the only Scandinavian country that is not a part of EU.
It is a hassle with customs and such.
The result is that there are only 2 shops in Sweden that sells Bryston products but only on commission.
Bryston have a very good reputation in Sweden but it is very difficult to buy them here, it is a sad thing.
Best Regards Raimo.

Daniel Datchev

« Reply #751 on: 18 Mar 2017, 12:52 am »
Hi Raimo,
ironically I live in Eastern Europe, EU member since 2007.
My first Bryston  stuff ( Bryston B100-SST and Bryston BCD-1) were bought from United Arab Emirates , the speakers  ( PMC OB1i) from England, then pre-amplifier ( Bryston BP-26) and power amplifier ( 14B-SST) from Germany, Bryston BCD 1 from England, Bryston BCD 1 from Holland, another power packs 120 from England, speakers  form Norway ( PMC MB2  SE) and 2 mono blocks ( Bryston 7B-SST2). Looking for Bryston BDA-3 to be added over new player. So custom hassle is not uncommon to me, but it's worth.

Raimo

« Reply #752 on: 18 Mar 2017, 06:45 am »
Hi Raimo,
ironically I live in Eastern Europe, EU member since 2007.
My first Bryston  stuff ( Bryston B100-SST and Bryston BCD-1) were bought from United Arab Emirates , the speakers  ( PMC OB1i) from England, then pre-amplifier ( Bryston BP-26) and power amplifier ( 14B-SST) from Germany, Bryston BCD 1 from England, Bryston BCD 1 from Holland, another power packs 120 from England, speakers  form Norway ( PMC MB2  SE) and 2 mono blocks ( Bryston 7B-SST2). Looking for Bryston BDA-3 to be added over new player. So custom hassle is not uncommon to me, but it's worth.

Hallo Daniel, i agree. It is worth the hassle. It is not easy to be a die hard Bryston fan somtimes :icon_lol:.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #753 on: 18 Mar 2017, 10:25 am »
Well I appreciate you guys going the extra mile for us  :thumb:

james

« Last Edit: 23 Mar 2017, 09:54 am by James Tanner »

Raimo

« Reply #754 on: 23 Mar 2017, 07:48 am »
Update on the BDA3. Very neutral sound indeed, it is like one bit in - one bit out and nothing more or less!
I can play much louder without my ears hurting vs BDA1.
Easier to hear in to the recordings and bigger difference between recordings.
If a recording sounds bad you can hear that it is in the recording and nothing that the BDA3 does.
I will come back on the BP26, it should ship from England today.

Kusot

« Reply #755 on: 23 Mar 2017, 12:09 pm »

Modify message
Thx, my setup is very much like yours, except I only have one hdmi out from my oppo hence connecting tv through the bda. Keeping the digital return channel from the tv to the bda is no big issue.

RandyH

« Reply #756 on: 25 Mar 2017, 04:25 pm »
I am very new to the world of separate DACS, streaming and music servers but I am attempting to incorporate this into my system....so I have a few pretty basic questions related to the BDA-3.  I would like to make the BDA-3 the center of my digital system.  I want to be able to stream TIDAL and ripped files from a USB drive (or other some such storage device).  Also wondering if I can run my Sony 5400ES SACD player through the BDA-3 via the HDMI connection and possibly derive some benefits? 

BSC

« Reply #757 on: 25 Mar 2017, 08:51 pm »
I am very new to the world of separate DACS, streaming and music servers but I am attempting to incorporate this into my system....so I have a few pretty basic questions related to the BDA-3.  I would like to make the BDA-3 the center of my digital system.  I want to be able to stream TIDAL and ripped files from a USB drive (or other some such storage device).  Also wondering if I can run my Sony 5400ES SACD player through the BDA-3 via the HDMI connection and possibly derive some benefits?

I think in any upgrade move a fair bit depends on your overall system.

I think it's very likely if your speakers and amp are up to the job you will be in for a treat with the BDA-3 as I would think it will elevate your disc playing well beyond your Sony-as HDMI and COAX out (either or) should be straightforward. Tidal and your USB aspect has the potential to be marvellous but depends on your primary source...PC? or how your wifi is connected.......for example in my home set up-a big room etc I haven't been able to get a good stand alone PC/MAC set up but I use my Oppo to play download files....with my wi-fi set up on Tidal at the highest res via the Oppo I think due to wi-fi/connection limitations it's enjoyable but not at disc replay performance. Still I'm happy with my Oppo/Bryston combo as it covers most bases.

There's no doubt the Bryston could do the job for you-I would be shocked if you didn't hear an immediate positive difference over your Sony but individual set ups these days are almost limitless so I would need to know more about your system.

The versatility of the Bryston is such that it can take a wide variety of inputs-the question is what are you outputs specifically.......

BSC

« Reply #758 on: 13 Apr 2017, 08:08 pm »
Any news of any software updates for the BDA-3 James?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #759 on: 13 Apr 2017, 08:35 pm »
Any news of any software updates for the BDA-3 James?

No changes I am aware of - problems?

James