Bass Duet Recordings

dB Cooper

Bass Duet Recordings
« on: 24 Jan 2018, 03:20 am »
Lately I have been on a 'kick' listening to duet recordings of bass and another instrument. I got started on this by Charlie Haden and his duet album with Pat Metheny, "Beyond The Missouri Sky". According to the official Haden website, there are 14 duet recordings in Haden's catalog, with guitarists Metheny and Jim Hall as well as others I wasn't familiar with, such as Antonio Forcione ("Heartplay'), pianist Kenny Barron, saxman Ornette Coleman and more.

Other bass duet albums that come to mind:
  • 'Small Town' (Bill Frisell (g), Thomas Morgan (b)
  • 'The Art of Conversation', Kenny Barron (p), Dave Holland (b)
  • ''Two In Time', Gene Bertoncini (g), Michael Moore (b)
  • 'This One's for Blanton', Duke Ellington (p), Ray Brown (b)
  • 'Alone Together', Jim Hall (g), Ron Carter (b)

To name but a few.

As you can surmise from this list, my listening is mostly but not entirely jazz, and there are are bassists such as the amazing multi-genre Edgar Meyer who have recorded duets in other idioms. (That's why I posted in the Music circle rather than the Jazz circle.

I think I'm drawn to this niche mainly for two reasons. One, the music marketplace is awash with so much overproduced crapola that it's nice to hear simple arrangements (I enjoy trios too, another conversation). The interplay, assuming talented players, can be exquisite. There's a 'starkness' and presence that is powerful. No hiding place. You have to be on your game as a player. Second, in this setting, the bass player seems to get to play more melody than you usually hear from the instrument. That is a very different experience than the background role we usually hear the instrument in.

Any other fans of bass duets out there?  Welcoming recommendations and feel free to include cover art if you like. Who knows, maybe someone else out there will look into this sub-genre and become a fan too. Thanks.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Bass Duet Recordings
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jan 2018, 04:09 am »
I suspect you will like:
L'Orchestre de Contrebasses(only bass players).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8TRtlANDPM
When I want a round 4/4 bass I listen a Bob Marley best of.
Other great are Sax Gordon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtecuF7yQW0

Some bass players of Art Blakey were top and his pianists used to have a strong left hand, Art himself was not soft hand on the drums, however its not in this album sorry:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOES7AZ-d60

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jan 2018, 11:48 am »
Leaning towards the avant-garde here, the Rivers/Holland on vinyl.

The Phillips/Morris on cd

This is cello/piano on double cd, leans towards new age

There are solo bass and solo cello recordings as well but perhaps that’s a topic for a different thread.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #3 on: 24 Jan 2018, 01:41 pm »
You mentioned Haden and Barron- their Night and the City has long been a favorite. 

Shakeydeal

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jan 2018, 02:35 pm »
Ron Carter - "Piccolo"

This recording is from 1977 and features Ron Carter on Piccolo bass and Buster Williams on double bass. The music is fantastic and the recording is nothing short of excellent, like all of Ron's records. Highly recommended.

Shakey

dB Cooper

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jan 2018, 09:54 pm »
I remember 'Piccolo' from my vinyl days! It's a quartet album but thanks for jogging my memory just the same. (The always-tasteful Kenny Barron on piano and Ben Riley on drums.) Might listen to it tonight. Thanks for the other suggestions too, everybody. Keep 'em coming if you can!

dB Cooper

« Reply #6 on: 25 Jan 2018, 01:28 am »
Speaking of Ron Carter, you don't find a lot of bass/accordion duets:

Very good SQ on this live recording BTW.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 25 Jan 2018, 01:34 am »
Speaking of Ron Carter, you don't find a lot of bass/accordion duets:

Very good SQ on this live recording BTW.
Its better than harmônica :duh:

dB Cooper

« Reply #8 on: 25 Jan 2018, 10:17 am »
Sounds like you haven't been listening to the right harmonica players, I suggest you check out Hendrik Meurkens (a Dutchman with a thing for Brazilian music) and maybe Toots Thielemans.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 25 Jan 2018, 06:01 pm »
No thanks :thumb: Harmonica is nice for sound effects no more than it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVUJ3LJhzsM

tjhendry

« Reply #10 on: 25 Jan 2018, 08:45 pm »
Voice and bass.
Look for Sheila Jordan and Harvie Swartz, Nancy King and Glen Moore, and the Italian duo, Musica Nuda.

It’s Winter and I am far from the comforts of home, music collection, and snow.  I don’t remember names of all the great albums by these artists, but “Yesterdays” by Sheila and Harvie is probably my favorite.

Don_S

« Reply #11 on: 25 Jan 2018, 09:03 pm »
Bass + Voice

Rob Wasserman "Duets"  Also available on vinyl.

Others in the series:  "Solo" and "Trio"  All three are well recorded.

tjhendry

« Reply #12 on: 25 Jan 2018, 09:37 pm »
The last track on “Last Dance” by Haden with Jarrett is the poignant “Goodby”.

An earlier release, “Jasmine”, came from same recording sessions.

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #13 on: 26 Jan 2018, 12:53 am »
Voice and bass.
Look for Sheila Jordan and Harvie Swartz, Nancy King and Glen Moore, and the Italian duo, Musica Nuda.

It’s Winter and I am far from the comforts of home, music collection, and snow.  I don’t remember names of all the great albums by these artists, but “Yesterdays” by Sheila and Harvie is probably my favorite.

Studies have shown that people’s memories worsen when they leave the snugly comforts of hearth and home and hightail it for unfamiliar warmer and sunnier climes, Tom. The Jordan/Swartz recordings are better than the Jordan/Cameron Brown recordings, imo. The ‘Old Time Feeling’ recording is a favorite.

More cello/guitar of note:

« Last Edit: 26 Jan 2018, 02:13 am by LesterSleepsIn »

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #14 on: 26 Jan 2018, 01:39 am »
Am guessing this may be one you were eluding to earlier with regards to Mr. Meyer...

Don't have this, but saw a PBS show on a tour they did together some time back which probably came from this.

dB Cooper

« Reply #15 on: 26 Jan 2018, 04:48 am »
No thanks :thumb: Harmonica is nice for sound effects no more than it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVUJ3LJhzsM

Bullsh*t:
https://youtu.be/zoauBe465qQ

Arthur: Yep

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 26 Jan 2018, 05:08 am »

tjhendry

« Reply #17 on: 26 Jan 2018, 03:32 pm »

Since Richard brought cello/guitar recordings into conversation I’d like to add two recordings.

Back in the 70s ECM was a treasure trove of music for exploration and expansion.  One recording that extended my comfort zone was the Circle Paris concert.  Chick Corea seemed like a safe choice but the first listen was challenging.  Undaunted, I stuck with it...perhaps with masochistic persistence.  Decades later that album defines one edge of my multi-faceted, eclectic comfort zone. 
A few years later I found a used Dave Holland/Derek Bailey lp, Improvisations for Cello and Guitar. 

I had survived Holland in Circle and Conference of the Birds.  ECM guitar meant Ralph Towner to me, or a newer name like Abercrombie.  I still love Gateway!  Those thoughts lead me to think "What can go wrong?"  it must have been about 1980 when I found the very early ECM recording of Holland and Bailey.  It proved to be well outside my realm of music appreciation.  Maybe Richard will declare that it is a masterpiece.  I present it for your consideration.

arthurs

« Reply #18 on: 26 Jan 2018, 03:45 pm »
This is really bad ass.  Great performance and great recording...

dB Cooper

« Reply #19 on: 26 Jan 2018, 04:11 pm »
Thanks, arthurs. That looks really interesting; I'll probably listen to that tonight. Edit: arthurs is right- great music and fantastic recording ^

tjhendry, I didn't know Holland plays cello too... That and the other cello duets in this thread seem worth investigating too (although it seems like the cello- in general-seems to be considered more of a soloing instrument than the bass.)
« Last Edit: 26 Jan 2018, 11:55 pm by dB Cooper »