BDP-1 and NAS connectivity

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: BDP-1 and NAS connectivity
« Reply #160 on: 24 Aug 2012, 05:41 am »
Hi Chris,

to get back on the topic of NAS connectivity: I'm using a D-Link 855 router. A usb port is available, but to be able to use it D-Link Shareport utility must be installed. Does the BDP1 support this?

ftp://ftp.dlink.se/Products/dir-products/dir-855/Documentation/SharePort_USB_Utility.pdf

Never used it before, but it seems to shortest way to a central external storage for the network.

Thanks,
Marius

Hi Marius,

Clearly the feature isn't working because you arn't/can't meet the minimum requirements of having an 800GHz processor

I actually have a dlink router at home with this feature; however i haven't looked at it extensively.  What I was able to gather about it after just looking at the feature a for a brief time is it does appear to be rather proprietary and suspect the BDP will not be able to make use of any drives attached to the Dlink.

Also the BDP only has a 500MHz processor and not an 800GHz processor  :wink:

If you would like to give a NAS a try and don't want to spend much money, western digital has a product line up by the name of "My Book Live".  These NAS drives are rather inexpensive and have okay performance (good enough to host 192k/24bit files).

Cheers,
Chris

Marius

« Reply #161 on: 24 Aug 2012, 06:18 am »
Hi Chris,

Thanks, i'll forget about it, even too much hassle on the MBP and WIn machines i have here. Proprietary being the main hassle indeed.
Marius

Hi Marius,

Clearly the feature isn't working because you arn't/can't meet the minimum requirements of having an 800GHz processor

I actually have a dlink router at home with this feature; however i haven't looked at it extensively.  What I was able to gather about it after just looking at the feature a for a brief time is it does appear to be rather proprietary and suspect the BDP will not be able to make use of any drives attached to the Dlink.

Also the BDP only has a 500MHz processor and not an 800GHz processor  :wink:

If you would like to give a NAS a try and don't want to spend much money, western digital has a product line up by the name of "My Book Live".  These NAS drives are rather inexpensive and have okay performance (good enough to host 192k/24bit files).

Cheers,
Chris
« Last Edit: 1 Sep 2012, 07:37 am by Marius »

Marius

« Reply #162 on: 24 Aug 2012, 11:46 am »
HI Chris,

the reason I responded to Tony earlier about multiple instances of the Time capsule, and it having multiple ip addresses should have been checked more properly by me I guess. Ive got 2 listings with 169.254.241.161 address, and those are known faulty addresses. Probable sign of some incorrect network settings or other problems.

The other day, after changing the MB, I found only those two addresses, and had to manually enter the correct 192. etc address. That one sticks now, but so do the other 2 wrong ones.

Could this have to do with some setting on the BDP1, or would I have to look elsewhere. (would appreciate any hints as to here then...)

Marius

Hi Guys,

It is a good idea to double check the settings when selecting them; however because the bdp checks both nebios and bonjour entries you may get doubles or even triple entries.

Cheers
Chris

srb

« Reply #163 on: 24 Aug 2012, 02:57 pm »
Ive got 2 listings with 169.254.241.161 address, and those are known faulty addresses. Probable sign of some incorrect network settings or other problems.

The other day, after changing the MB, I found only those two addresses, and had to manually enter the correct 192. etc address. That one sticks now, but so do the other 2 wrong ones.

The 169.254.x.x addresses are self-configured IP addresses that clients self assign when they are configured to automatically receive an IP address from a DHCP server but are unable to find one.

Since home networks are fairly easy to manage having a limited number of clients, I find there are fewer problems if each device is configured with a static IP address.  You can still have your router's DHCP server enabled to automatically assign IP addresses to roaming DHCP-enabled clients, but you can enter all your static IP clients into the router's DHCP Reservation Table so that the router will not attempt to auto assign these reserved addresses.

Steve

Marius

« Reply #164 on: 25 Aug 2012, 08:22 am »
they are also used by Bonjour according to this:
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3798?viewlocale=nl_NL
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3798

Got the impression reading various sources 169. x.x.x addresses are configured automatically in case of misconfiguration of DHCP or other networkrelated issues, but this states under Additional Information they always there to facilitate Bonjour? In that case no issues then and not to worry?

Nas setup could filter these addresses out, since they won't work anyhow? Could clearup the clutter in the list a bit.

Marius

The 169.254.x.x addresses are self-configured IP addresses that clients self assign when they are configured to automatically receive an IP address from a DHCP server but are unable to find one.

Since home networks are fairly easy to manage having a limited number of clients, I find there are fewer problems if each device is configured with a static IP address.  You can still have your router's DHCP server enabled to automatically assign IP addresses to roaming DHCP-enabled clients, but you can enter all your static IP clients into the router's DHCP Reservation Table so that the router will not attempt to auto assign these reserved addresses.

Steve

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #165 on: 17 Sep 2012, 02:03 am »
Hi Marius,

Bonjour also operates under ipv6 although your ipv4 addresses do not match up; the NAS setup will still display entries that have been assigned self assigned ipv4 addresses.  However as the NAS setup is limit to ipv4 addresses it won't be able to connect.

Cheers,
Chris

Marius

« Reply #166 on: 17 Sep 2012, 06:49 am »
Hi Chris,

No problem, other then it being rather confusing for the non-technical and non-IP-savy users. If you'd implement a filter for those addresses, I think it would be easier and more userfriendly. It's not very comfortable being able to select addresses that you are unable to connect to in the first place.

Cheers,
Marius

Hi Marius,

Bonjour also operates under ipv6 although your ipv4 addresses do not match up; the NAS setup will still display entries that have been assigned self assigned ipv4 addresses.  However as the NAS setup is limit to ipv4 addresses it won't be able to connect.

Cheers,
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #167 on: 18 Sep 2012, 02:45 am »
HI Chris,

the reason I responded to Tony earlier about multiple instances of the Time capsule, and it having multiple ip addresses should have been checked more properly by me I guess. Ive got 2 listings with 169.254.241.161 address, and those are known faulty addresses. Probable sign of some incorrect network settings or other problems.

Could this have to do with some setting on the BDP1, or would I have to look elsewhere. (would appreciate any hints as to here then...)

Marius

Hi Marius,

Those self assigned ip addresses could be any number of things.  Honestly I would have to capture some network traffi
c to know for sure.  It could be the bdp or a computer on the network

Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #168 on: 18 Sep 2012, 02:47 am »
Hi Chris,

No problem, other then it being rather confusing for the non-technical and non-IP-savy users. If you'd implement a filter for those addresses, I think it would be easier and more userfriendly. It's not very comfortable being able to select addresses that you are unable to connect to in the first place.

Cheers,
Marius

Excellent point, ifs not updated by the end of the week send me a reminder.

I'm hip deep in rebuilding the software that runs the LCD and buttons on the front of the bdp.

Cheers
Chris

Marius

« Reply #169 on: 18 Sep 2012, 05:21 am »
Hi
Chris ,

Filtering the 169.x.x.x addresses is the object here, no further capturing or testing would be necessary? Isn't that standard protocol?
Which you know to be useless for the bdp1?

nevermind, several post were mixed. good to see you'll update accordingly!

Marius

Hi Marius,

Those self assigned ip addresses could be any number of things.  Honestly I would have to capture some network traffi
c to know for sure.  It could be the bdp or a computer on the network

Chris
« Last Edit: 18 Sep 2012, 08:09 am by Marius »

Marius

« Reply #170 on: 18 Sep 2012, 05:23 am »
Wonderful! Hope you can make it scrolling the file names finally!
Marius

Excellent point, ifs not updated by the end of the week send me a reminder.

I'm hip deep in rebuilding the software that runs the LCD and buttons on the front of the bdp.

Cheers
Chris

Wim J

« Reply #171 on: 24 Sep 2012, 04:50 pm »
I'm trying to setup my BDP-1 for NAS connectivity. It would be great if I could get it to talk with my Synology DS712+. Up to now I was unsuccesful to set this up.
I create a user (bryston) on my Synology NAS with his own password (bryston), and this account is working on the NAS. Ip-adress of the NAS, username and password are accepted, it retrieves the network shares and I can select the 'music'-folder  But the moment I want to establish the NAS connection on my BDP-1 I always get this:

Establishing Connection With NAS
failed to connect:mount error(11): Resource temporarily unavailable Refer to the mount.cifs( 8 ) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)
sudo mount -t smbfs -o username=bryston,password=bryston,uid=106 "\\\\192.168.1.121\\music" "/media/music_on_DISKSTATION712_" 2>&1||

Normally I have no problems setting things like this up. I even my sat-receiver makes recording on this NAS  and this  was operational in a few minutes. But the BDP-1 leaves me puzzled again,...
Did anyone have succes in establishing communication between the BDP-1 and a Synology NAS?

uncouth

« Reply #172 on: 24 Sep 2012, 07:01 pm »
I use the BDP-1 with my DS411 - no issues whatsoever during setup or since. I have a LOSSLESS MUSIC folder on my DS, which the BDP accesses upon boot. I did not create a new user, just used my existing login information.

The log you posted suggests that the BDP cannot access the share. Perhaps you need to ensure that the new user on your DS has all of the correct permissions?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #173 on: 24 Sep 2012, 07:35 pm »
I'm trying to setup my BDP-1 for NAS connectivity. It would be great if I could get it to talk with my Synology DS712+. Up to now I was unsuccesful to set this up.
I create a user (bryston) on my Synology NAS with his own password (bryston), and this account is working on the NAS. Ip-adress of the NAS, username and password are accepted, it retrieves the network shares and I can select the 'music'-folder  But the moment I want to establish the NAS connection on my BDP-1 I always get this:

Establishing Connection With NAS
failed to connect:mount error(11): Resource temporarily unavailable Refer to the mount.cifs( 8 ) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)
sudo mount -t smbfs -o username=bryston,password=bryston,uid=106 "\\\\192.168.1.121\\music" "/media/music_on_DISKSTATION712_" 2>&1||

Normally I have no problems setting things like this up. I even my sat-receiver makes recording on this NAS  and this  was operational in a few minutes. But the BDP-1 leaves me puzzled again,...
Did anyone have succes in establishing communication between the BDP-1 and a Synology NAS?

Hi Wim,

Two things to try the first would be to reset your bdp-1 to factory state, this will clear all NAS settings and ensure there isn't an old entries that could be causing any unwanted issues.  If it still doesn't work try giving your synology a reboot through its web gui to make sure there arn't any daemons getting hung up.

Cheers,
Chris

Wim J

« Reply #174 on: 25 Sep 2012, 04:31 pm »
Hi Wim,

Two things to try the first would be to reset your bdp-1 to factory state, this will clear all NAS settings and ensure there isn't an old entries that could be causing any unwanted issues.  If it still doesn't work try giving your synology a reboot through its web gui to make sure there arn't any daemons getting hung up.

Cheers,
Chris

Tried both steps and got exactly the same result. I also tried to use an existing user on the Synology with admin-rights with exactly the same error-message.

BDP-1:
S1.48 2012-07-25
Final Build
Build: Loony Loon
MPD: 0.16.06
Kernel: 2.6.32-5-486
Copyright Bryston Ltd. 2010

Synology DS712+
DSM 4.1-2636

tomsenko

« Reply #175 on: 28 Sep 2012, 07:13 pm »
Hi!

Is it really so that BDP is updating NAS shares from scratch each time it is switched OFF/ON? Or is it important not to switch the NAS share off?

I am using the HDD in my Dune media player as a NAS share and it took some 5 hours to update for the first time. Both the Dune and BDP were switched off for some time and now the process is starting again from zero.

Any thoughts?

Toms

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #176 on: 29 Sep 2012, 03:54 am »
Hello Everyone,

The BDP should remember the database (has included) when it powers back on.  Infact getting this to work this way caused other issues that i rather not go into but have been reported on the forums.  However the BDP does check for changes at startup, simply just check if you can play something after turning the BDP on.

Chris

Wim J

« Reply #177 on: 16 Oct 2012, 07:28 pm »
Tried both steps and got exactly the same result. I also tried to use an existing user on the Synology with admin-rights with exactly the same error-message.

BDP-1:
S1.48 2012-07-25
Final Build
Build: Loony Loon
MPD: 0.16.06
Kernel: 2.6.32-5-486
Copyright Bryston Ltd. 2010

Synology DS712+
DSM 4.1-2636

I finally had the time to try this on my second Synology ( DS508) and I get the very same error!
Can someone please help out. I'm not unfamiliar with IT and network stuff, but this connectifity setup from Bryston doesn't work for me. Also, I needed (highly apprciated) help from Bryston to update my BDP. Now I can't connect to the NAS. Maybe I will need Bryston's help again but this should all be straightforward! At this moment I can't say I'm happy with the BDP1. Soundwise it's very ok, but it's a nightmare for connectivity,...

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #178 on: 17 Oct 2012, 02:47 am »
I finally had the time to try this on my second Synology ( DS508) and I get the very same error!
Can someone please help out. I'm not unfamiliar with IT and network stuff, but this connectifity setup from Bryston doesn't work for me. Also, I needed (highly apprciated) help from Bryston to update my BDP. Now I can't connect to the NAS. Maybe I will need Bryston's help again but this should all be straightforward! At this moment I can't say I'm happy with the BDP1. Soundwise it's very ok, but it's a nightmare for connectivity,...

Hi Wim,

It's being looked into, unfortunently when you are dealing with third party hardware it is difficult to know what is causing the issue.  Unfortunently knowing what is causing said issue is also needed to figure out how to fix the problem at hand.

Cheers
Chris

Wim J

« Reply #179 on: 17 Oct 2012, 08:05 am »
Hi Wim,

It's being looked into, unfortunently when you are dealing with third party hardware it is difficult to know what is causing the issue.  Unfortunently knowing what is causing said issue is also needed to figure out how to fix the problem at hand.

Cheers
Chris

OK, Chris
Thank you for your support. Maybe I'll just wait for the next software-release. It might solve the problem. As far as I can figure out my Synology doesn't get an 'access'-request. When I have a look in it's logs I can see all succesfull and failed logins. But bdp1 doesn't  even seem to try to get access. It's simply not in the list,...