Latest Live Shows You've Been To...

Ryanz

Re: Latest Live Shows You've Been To...
« Reply #820 on: 30 Apr 2011, 04:07 am »
On Tuesday night I saw Iron & Wine at the HOB in Boston.  He put on a great show and the band he has now was really good.  Everything still focused on him and his voice but witht he added texture of the band.  Two mellow thumbs up!

An amazing band. Very peaceful, nocturnal type of music.

Chromisdesigns

• Darla, our beach cat, contemplating the sea
    • Fine-gemstones.com
« Reply #821 on: 30 Apr 2011, 05:10 am »
Maria Muldaur and her Bluesiana Band at Biscuits and Blues in SFO.  Maria was hot, as always, the band was fabulous, and I think B&B is one of the best, if not THE best music club in town.  There isn't a bad seat in the house.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #822 on: 30 Apr 2011, 05:51 am »
Maria Muldaur and her Bluesiana Band at Biscuits and Blues in SFO.  Maria was hot, as always, the band was fabulous, and I think B&B is one of the best, if not THE best music club in town.  There isn't a bad seat in the house.
I getta chance, you can be sure I will check it out.  Carolyn Wonderland was the last for me, but am seeing Bill Frisell Quartet next Friday night. 

sts9fan

« Reply #823 on: 30 Apr 2011, 05:17 pm »
Heading to see The Decemberists tonight a Stubb's in Austin!!

Carl V

« Reply #824 on: 30 Apr 2011, 07:37 pm »
James Taylor. Bob Seger (sp?) , Jane Monheit (jazz singer)& Valery Kuleshov (pianist).

Interspersed amongst these has been some Local Rock-n-roll, blues, jazz & classical.
Attended 3 organ recitals & choral performances.  Church. High Skool & College groups.

Almost as good as my CD based,  Rec'vr, 3 way speakers.  Tongue in cheek. :P
nothing quite compares to real, live, music....what we appreciate in our homes
is but a pale facsimile.  Don't get me wrong I thoroughly enjoy the home experiene.

dangerbird

« Reply #825 on: 30 Apr 2011, 10:14 pm »
Thursady night--John Mayall-- nuff said  8)

rockadanny

« Reply #826 on: 1 May 2011, 07:52 pm »
Lil' Ed & the Blues Imperials at Blind Willie's in Atlanta last weekend. Terrific slide guitar - rockin' show! :thumb:

bside123

« Reply #827 on: 1 May 2011, 08:22 pm »
In April I went to see the country legend George Jones aka "The Possum" and "No Show George" in Paducah, Kentucky. This guy is a true legend of real country music. Everybody whose anybody in country music agrees and has played and sang with with George. Hank, Merle, Tammy, Dolly, Willy, etc. This also includes crossover artists as diverse as Keith Richard and Elvis Costello.

That being said, George is a legend, and I am sorry to say he should have kept it that way. I've seen him twice in the past, and he was brilliant. This time he was still "No Show George." Even though his body was there, his voice and his music were not... nor was his stage presence. The concert was mortifying. :oops:

George was out of tempo, out of tune, his voice was reduced to a 3 note register, and he couldn't remember the words to his own songs (even though there were two, oversized monitors on stage with the lyrics). The otherwise smoking Nashville band was mortified as well. No smiles, and each player had their head buried into their instrument as if they were waiting for the show to just end. They couldn't predict what or where George was going, so they tried to follow along the best they could. George's comment was, "Well... everyone has a bad night once and a while!" At first I admired that he attempted a tour at age 79... but by 3 songs in I thought, "Oh no! Why!? Don't go out like this!"

Anyway, I prefer to remember George Jones for the genius he was... and for a smooth as silk voice that was unmistakably one of a kind, because it was real country.

WGH

« Reply #828 on: 1 May 2011, 09:08 pm »
The Blue Man Group

This was the first time I have seen the Blue Man Group, let me say they put on a fun filled show for the whole family. The band is up on scaffolding and can barely be seen behind translucent screens so the 3 Blue Men are the focus of attention. Colorful computer graphics are projected on the screens and interact with the Blue Men with amazing results that have to be seen. The show can be watched on three levels, children will love the bright colors and non-threatening innocence of the Blue Men, geeks will marvel at the technology, and adults will get the subtle humor of the satirical skits. The finale was fantastic, involved audience participation, and made a mess of the front half of Centennial Hall. Ponchos are provided for the first three rows.

The show had some of the best sound I have ever heard at a concert. It was loud at times but super clear without a hint of distortion, when the big bass drum was struck everything in the hall vibrated. The music tended toward electronica but also had the trademark acoustic elements like the polyvinyl chloride pipes struck with closed-cell foam rubber paddles.

A good time was had by all, highly recommended.  :thumb:  All 5 Tucson performances were sold out so get your tickets early.

Wayne

galyons

Re: Latest Live Shows You've Been To...Ty Curtis Band
« Reply #829 on: 2 May 2011, 01:02 am »
Great young blues musicians out of Salem, Oregon.  I have seen them play in Oregon, but this was the first time in California.  The venue was the venerable Torch Club in downtown Sacramento.

Good show!!  Gotta support young bluesters, the old masters are rapidly "moving on"!

Cheers,
Geary

Charles Calkins

« Reply #830 on: 7 May 2011, 01:58 pm »
Hugh Jackman at the Curran in San Francisco.
The man has charisma and a hell of a lot of TALENT!!! Great performance. If you get a chance to see him live in person on stage go for it!!! You'll not be disappointed!

Cheers
                                                            Charlie

jimdgoulding

« Reply #831 on: 7 May 2011, 02:17 pm »
Glad to hear the Curran is alive and well.  Still on Geary?  Saw Segovia there when I was around 18 and it was my first exposure to good acoustics which has stayed with me.   A few musicals after that like Stop The World I Want To Get Off with Joel Grey in the lead. 

Bill Frisell's current quartet last night.  Very enjoyable.  His 'East/West' is likely my next purchase.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #832 on: 8 May 2011, 04:57 pm »
Glad to hear the Curran is alive and well.  Still on Geary?  Saw Segovia there when I was around 18 and it was my first exposure to good acoustics which has stayed with me.   A few musicals after that like Stop The World I Want To Get Off with Joel Grey in the lead. 

Bill Frisell's current quartet last night.  Very enjoyable.  His 'East/West' is likely my next purchase.
Yep still on Geary St. Theater is in very good condition. Has never been renovated.
 One of the many live shows I've seen there in past years was Jack Benny with Giselle Makenzie. The opening act was The Step brothers featuring a guy named Sammy Davis Jr. What a talent!!!

Sure was a long time ago.

Cheers
                                              Charlie

StevensSound

« Reply #833 on: 9 May 2011, 05:11 am »
The last I saw was Elton John and Leon Russell at the Hollywood Palladium.  :thumb:
Booker T. sat in on keys, and it was nice to see Bernie Taupin (Elton's lyricist on many songs) as well.

hotmailjbc

« Reply #834 on: 9 May 2011, 06:05 am »
my last live show was the drive-by truckers in st. louis. i took some musician friends and they were amazed. authentic group. and to comment on george jones. he is to play at our county fair in crawford county missouri this summer. i;ll go but don,t expect to be amazed here. however last summer in 100 degree heat merle haggard played this fair and he was great. only played for an hour [it was a county fair] but i felt i saw the real deal that night. at the end of this month jason isbell is playing a small bar in st louis and that should be fun too. then a week later alejandro escoveda. wow, and these shows are 15 bucks at the old rock house,

mjosef

Jazz Festivals time...
« Reply #835 on: 14 May 2011, 11:28 pm »
Springtime!..and its Jazz Festivals time...The Gowanus Jazz Festival right here in Brooklyn. http://www.gowanusjazzfest.com/

Last week Saturday was the opening night. Two acts, FRANK CARLBERG QUINTET @ 8:30pm followed by TONY MALABY SOLO SAXOPHONES @ 10pm.
Good kick off for this season, was a blast.
I am heading back again tonight for the 2nd Saturday.

Next month is the Vision Festival... :thumb:

bside123

« Reply #836 on: 14 May 2011, 11:56 pm »
then a week later alejandro escoveda.

This should be a great show. Saw him twice in Austin. This band is fun and has great energy. Good mix of horns too. It's always nice to pick up a "real show."  8)

vinyl_lady

« Reply #837 on: 15 May 2011, 08:16 pm »
The Moody Blues, May 7, 2011 at Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison CO (the best outdoor venue in America). Terrific concert! I videoed I'm Just a Singer in a Rock n Roll Band. The screen behind the stage showed them singing the song in 1972, synced to the live version.

Berndt

RAMMSTEIN resets the bar for rock opera
« Reply #838 on: 20 May 2011, 07:46 am »

Saw Rammstein at the Oracle arena Wednesday night.
This performance offered a dramatic statement regarding the state of the art in the modern rock opera. This show was an order of magnitude superior for me to any previous performance of this rock/metal genre.
The sound was a not only louder but more percussive than any live show in memory. The bass feel reminded me of a survival research labs performance art show where they had a pulse jet making sonic booms.
I was in the back of the arena and my chest was vibrating. This was milspec volume. The stage craft was like Circ du soliel only with more fire and explosions. A new set was present for each song. Each song also had a new set of props that created another type of effect. 
On another note I also saw George Jones in Oakland a few years ago.
A sad disappointment. Just going through the motions. ouch

PeteG

« Reply #839 on: 29 May 2011, 12:44 am »
U2

One of the best stages you will see. I wish, I could say the same for the sound.