Cherry Jr vs Plus

barkerpj

• PC -> Berkeley USB -> Berkeley DAC
Cherry Jr vs Plus
« on: 18 May 2010, 06:05 pm »
Looking to buy one a Cherry amp in a week or so but was wondering about the difference between the Jr and the Plus - apart from three grand. Has anyone heard both and can comment?

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Re: Cherry Jr vs Plus
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2010, 05:19 am »
Looking to buy one a Cherry amp in a week or so but was wondering about the difference between the Jr and the Plus - apart from three grand. Has anyone heard both and can comment?
I'll let others reply about the sound.  The Cherry PLUS has a much larger transformer, improved output filter, WBT binding posts (new), and gold XLRs...

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2010, 02:13 pm »
But who would have had both to answer?  Maybe you need to lead us off Tommy.

mcullinan

« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2010, 02:36 pm »
Ive heard the Cherry Plus and it is Sick! Will drive pretty much anything without breaking a sweat!

Big Red Machine

« Reply #4 on: 21 May 2010, 03:15 pm »
And I've heard the Cherry Jr and 4800A but can't connect with the Plus sound.

Would you say the Plus has 3 dimensionality?

watercourse

« Reply #5 on: 21 May 2010, 04:46 pm »
I've heard the 4800A (earlier version) and the Cherry Plus at Lapsan's (orientalexpress) house, but this was a while back and not on a system I was that familiar with. I've heard Lapsan's 4800A and compared it to the Jr. on my system, so can't speak to the Plus with authority.
IIRC, the Cherry Jr.'s top end has more in common with the Cherry Plus than it does the 4800A (earlier version), and this is in my own system. Bass handling is similar all around. I'm trying to relate what the 4800A sounded like compared to the Cherry Plus in Lapsan's system, so I may be wrong. Don't know if this is helpful or not.
Lapsan, can you comment?

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #6 on: 22 May 2010, 03:54 am »
We played both at a few raves.  The Cherry PLUS power supply is stronger, so for low efficiency speakers, you get that extra reserve.  In general, with smaller speakers, the Cherry jr has more than enough power, but nothing beats the Cherry PLUS for transient delivery.  The Cherry PLUS is harder to build and has more expensive components.  If you can swing it, get the PLUS.

barkerpj

• PC -> Berkeley USB -> Berkeley DAC
« Reply #7 on: 25 May 2010, 02:18 pm »
Thank you all for your input

tcsubwoofer

« Reply #8 on: 24 Dec 2010, 04:16 pm »
Barkerpj, Did you buy a cherry amp and are you happy?  Cherry is in my top three for demo next year and I'm very interested in all impressions of this amp line.