New to the family...

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Re: New to the family...
« Reply #20 on: 30 Mar 2012, 08:59 pm »
Cornelis I just read this thread for the first time and wanted to say congrats!!!
 Once you have them singing please do let us know your thoughts......again..Enjoy!!! :thumb:

PSB Guy

Re: New to the family...WOOHOO!
« Reply #21 on: 31 Mar 2012, 01:51 pm »
Hi Ed!  :wave: FedEx actually delivered the woofer yesterday evening, I guess leaving a friendly note for the driver actually helps  :D. I got the chance to install it this morning and the 'Birds are singing as I type this. Initial impressions are that they do indeed image like crazy and the bass impact is about the same as the PSBs they replaced, which is pleasantly surprising, considering they have one less driver. Thanks to Jim for the help and the speedy delivery of the woofer.

Cornelis

Nuance

« Reply #22 on: 31 Mar 2012, 02:12 pm »
Hi Ed!  :wave: FedEx actually delivered the woofer yesterday evening, I guess leaving a friendly note for the driver actually helps  :D. I got the chance to install it this morning and the 'Birds are singing as I type this. Initial impressions are that they do indeed image like crazy and the bass impact is about the same as the PSBs they replaced, which is pleasantly surprising, considering they have one less driver. Thanks to Jim for the help and the speedy delivery of the woofer.

Cornelis

I'm so happy things worked out for you, and rather quickly to boot. Bring on the tunes!

Austin08

« Reply #23 on: 31 Mar 2012, 03:28 pm »
Congratulation, finally, the bird is singing.

PSB Guy

« Reply #24 on: 2 Apr 2012, 09:09 pm »
So I've had a couple of days to listen to the SongBirds critically, and after what Ive heard from them, I'd have absolutely no problem recommending them to someone looking for a very high quality speaker for a small room.
Clarity of individaul instruments and voices is MUCH better than my previous setup. What I thought was a "shimmer" in the high end with my old set up was actually harshness when compared to the OW1. What I thought was tight bass is even tighter with the SongBirds, and much more defined and coherant, probably due to the QWTL design. The imaging and placement of instruments and voices is holographic, what you'd expect from a speaker with a small footprint.
What surprises me is that these speakers can ROCK in my small listening/living room. It says on the Salk website: "If you like to listen to music at higher volume levels, even occasionally, the SongTowers would be a better choice". This statement worried me a bit, because sometimes I do. But the 'Birds are up to the task in my small room, without a hint of strain. Just keep it realistic, not ear-splitting, and you'll be fine. My amp, an AVA Insight+ Control, which puts out 90 watts per channel into 8 ohms, has no issues driving these speakers.
Some of the pieces I listened to this afternoon, just to give you an idea of what they can do (a couple of these are Canadian, look 'em up):
The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour
Daniel Lanois - Acadie
David Lindley - El Rayo-X
Miles Davis - Relaxin'
Tragically Hip - Up to Here

Highly recommended, awesome work Jim and Co.

Cornelis

Austin08

« Reply #25 on: 2 Apr 2012, 11:58 pm »
Miles Davis quintet-relaxing is one of my favorite, too.

PSB Guy

« Reply #26 on: 3 Apr 2012, 12:53 am »
"I'll play it and tell ya what it is later"... classic Miles, love it. That group of albums from those sessions (Relaxin', Workin', Cookin' and Steamin', for those who don't know) is just beautiful.

Cornelis