Audio GD NFB-12

Nick77

Re: Audio GD NFB-12
« Reply #80 on: 9 Feb 2011, 12:37 pm »
    I am in a relatively unique position with the NFB-3 in that I have both the 24/96k (DIR9001) and 24/192k (WM8805) modules.  I don't feel a need to make a lengthy review stating every aspect of my setup, my hopes and dreams and all that so I'll keep it simple.  On my setup, listening to James Taylor in FLAC -> NFB-3 -> C-2 -> MS-pro the difference between these two modules is very apparent.  The WM8005 is very mellow, missing many details and rounding out the sound.  DIR9001 is a completely different beast, outclassing the WM8005 in every way (except 192k handling).  The details come right through, extremely transparent, hits hard and fast, no mentionable issues at all.

You can get the DIR9001 module from Audio-gd for only $22.50 and for those with the WM8005, this is a very worthwhile upgrade!

This is a quote from headfi, i decided to add the DIR9001 to my order just to try them both. Suppose to be shipping next week.

wushuliu

« Reply #81 on: 11 Feb 2011, 10:35 pm »
ES9018 Sabre NFB11 will be available Mar. 1. Looks like there will be a 30% discount off the DI (Digital Interface) usb/spdif converter to go along with it since it does not come w/usb. Great deal since from what I've read the DI sounds almost (I said almost, jkeny) as good as the jkeny modified Hiface.

http://audio-gd.com/En%20audio-gd.htm

ceausuc

« Reply #82 on: 17 Feb 2011, 11:21 am »
ES9018 Sabre NFB11 will be available Mar. 1. Looks like there will be a 30% discount off the DI (Digital Interface) usb/spdif converter to go along with it since it does not come w/usb. Great deal since from what I've read the DI sounds almost (I said almost, jkeny) as good as the jkeny modified Hiface.

http://audio-gd.com/En%20audio-gd.htm

Great news, thanks.
At 100$ the DI is a very nice option. I wonder if the 30% discount also applies to the power supply :)

JohnR

« Reply #83 on: 16 May 2011, 03:14 am »
My NFB-12 arrived. It will probably end up in the study for use with the silly-cheap amp but mainly headphones for late-night work/listening. I need to switch over the jumper for the fixed output to see how it sounds that way.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #84 on: 16 May 2011, 03:19 am »
John,
I almost bought an NFB-12.

Would like to hear your listening observations when you have time with direct mode.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #85 on: 16 May 2011, 04:38 am »
+1 on that, the NFB-12 is the one DAC I might actually purchase, so when you get time let us know how it sounds...THX

JohnR

« Reply #86 on: 16 May 2011, 05:05 am »
Sure, will do. In this whole thread, am I the only person that actually bought an NFB-12? :lol: I can understand that actually, for a dedicated DAC the NFB-3 is probably more attractive. This one is for "portable" use as well as in the study - the DAC in my USB measurement gizmo is horrible.

Initial impressions: for $200, the build quality is incredible. It has a stack of regulators in it. Haven't got a handle on the sound yet but I'll let it play for a while and settle down.

JohnR

« Reply #87 on: 16 May 2011, 10:24 am »
Would like to hear your listening observations when you have time with direct mode.

I don't think it's a direct mode, it seems to just set the gain of the ACSS amplifier to a fixed level. I'm not hearing any difference between fixed and variable output.

JohnR

« Reply #88 on: 16 May 2011, 11:19 am »
I've installed it into the study and will run it on endless repeat for a while before commenting. I read somewhere in one of those endless head-fi threads that it changes a lot in a couple of weeks.

I'd also like to get some better (to me) phones, as I really don't like any that I have presently. I'm thinking I'll try the Senn HD598.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #89 on: 16 May 2011, 01:34 pm »
John,
I love my Sennheiser HD650's with good DAC's and HPA's! 

Looking forward to post burn-in results.

When I asked about the filter mode they use with the NFB-12 and the Wolfson DAC, did not get an answer that I could understand.  I think they have Minimum Phase mode selected.

Gopher

« Reply #90 on: 16 May 2011, 02:12 pm »
Sure, will do. In this whole thread, am I the only person that actually bought an NFB-12? :lol: I can understand that actually, for a dedicated DAC the NFB-3 is probably more attractive. This one is for "portable" use as well as in the study - the DAC in my USB measurement gizmo is horrible.

Initial impressions: for $200, the build quality is incredible. It has a stack of regulators in it. Haven't got a handle on the sound yet but I'll let it play for a while and settle down.

I purchased one too, but am still waiting.  Pacific Valve says they're hoping to ship it in June....

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #91 on: 21 May 2011, 10:25 pm »
Any good reports yet on this unit??

JohnR

« Reply #92 on: 22 May 2011, 10:07 am »
Any good reports yet on this unit??

I'm listening to it now but playing through a cobbled-together system so no reference at all. Are you interested in it as a DAC or as a headphone amp?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #93 on: 22 May 2011, 11:32 am »
Interested in observations on both capabilities, but mainly the DAC.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #94 on: 22 May 2011, 12:46 pm »
DAC here, not interested in the headphone amp at all actually, I got that covered too well...LOL.

JohnR

« Reply #95 on: 22 May 2011, 01:59 pm »
I can't say I'm over the moon with it as a standalone DAC. Since I received it I've found some threads about the frequency response, and subjectively it sounds more cut off than the graphs indicate. Bear in mind it's a headphone amp and preamp all in one for that price.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #96 on: 22 May 2011, 03:53 pm »
I was going to actually use the DAC and pre-amp feature now that I think about it. Are you saying the high end sounds clipped? Not as extended as one would like??
I need USB of at least 24/96, a pre-amp function if possible maybe another Audio GD model would be better, not sure which one-my MAX budget would be $400 or less ideally. I'll look at Pacific Valves site to see what others would fit as they have a bunch and a phone number with people I could speak with if there is a problem.
 :?

Gopher

« Reply #97 on: 22 May 2011, 08:18 pm »
disappointing to read your findings.  I'm contemplating canceling my brother's (overdue) gift, but I can't think of anything else in the price point with as much potential...  There was (maybe still available) a used Tranqulity for $500, but he's have to use his laptop to control volume, it wouldn't sound optimal, and its a lotta bread for a gift.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #98 on: 22 May 2011, 09:26 pm »
Gopher- Get him a Mav or Grant.

JohnR

« Reply #99 on: 22 May 2011, 09:35 pm »
Well. This is why I don't like to post assessment of gear. I might say the same or worse about one of those. And as I said, it's still needs plenty of break-in, in a month's time I may have completely changed my mind about it.