The Germans Have Arrived!

milford3

Re: The Germans Have Arrived!
« Reply #20 on: 27 Jun 2013, 04:45 pm »
Back in the early eighties I had a pair of Koss headphones and enjoyed them to the fullest.  After they wore out I never gave headphones another thought until two years ago.  Todays audio technology in headphones and amps has vaulted the "can" into a part of audio that for me is now hard to live without.  Where else in this hobby can you just switch out speakers in mere seconds.  And yes, the Germans and Americans have arrived.

Now I need to get back in the kitchen and make my egg salad.

ajzepp

« Reply #21 on: 27 Jun 2013, 10:01 pm »
Back in the early eighties I had a pair of Koss headphones and enjoyed them to the fullest.  After they wore out I never gave headphones another thought until two years ago.  Todays audio technology in headphones and amps has vaulted the "can" into a part of audio that for me is now hard to live without.  Where else in this hobby can you just switch out speakers in mere seconds.  And yes, the Germans and Americans have arrived.

Now I need to get back in the kitchen and make my egg salad.

Same here, man. I have been addicted to home audio/video for over a decade now, but I never took headphones seriously at all. I never thought for a minute I'd be THIS far gone in terms of my love for this side of the hobby. That's a big reason why I enjoy your enthusiasm with the gear you're picking up, as well. This stuff is meant to be fun, and the more of us who are enjoying this stuff, the more fun it is :)

ajzepp

« Reply #22 on: 2 Jul 2013, 03:44 pm »
Well, I've heard all I need to hear. I'm so happy with this gear that this is my end game in terms of an amp/dac. I just know that it would cost me twice the money or more in order to improve upon what I'm hearing and I just can't justify that cost. At this price point - a point where I'm very comfortable - I don't think I could have done any better in terms of my own preferences.

Back in 2009 I knew I hit my stopping point when I put my Maggie rig together, and I now have the same level of satisfaction with the headphone rig. I find that my Little Dot amp is ideal for my Grados, and the Meier gear fills in the other blanks. Having a tube buffer kickin' around is great to mix it up a bit. At some point I'd really like to add a planar phone, but in terms of my electronics I'm set for the long haul.

BTW, I don't know how many of you guys use your headphones for movies, but I'm really blown away by how good they can sound with a good headamp/dac. Any of you guys enjoy watching flicks with phones?

milford3

« Reply #23 on: 2 Jul 2013, 05:00 pm »
I listen to movies (and TV) all the time with my phones and amp.  In fact my h/k AVR has a processing feature in the headphone jack that tricks you into thinking its 5.1 and it works very well.  Although the headphone jack on the AVR is so-so it no where comes close to the Schiit Lyr.

ajzepp

« Reply #24 on: 2 Jul 2013, 08:51 pm »
I listen to movies (and TV) all the time with my phones and amp.  In fact my h/k AVR has a processing feature in the headphone jack that tricks you into thinking its 5.1 and it works very well.  Although the headphone jack on the AVR is so-so it no where comes close to the Schiit Lyr.

When I converted the extra room in my apartment to a small HT, I was really tempted to make it a headphone theater room. When the headphones are extremely comfy, like the T1s, it really is a great way to watch a flick!

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #25 on: 3 Jul 2013, 10:02 am »
I love watching movies with headphones, it brings me that much more into the fantasy the film is portraying plus its easier to understand dialogue, nuance, etc....try it on a tablet and you'll see why so many folks love that way also myself included. Enjoy zepp!!!! :thumb:

FireGuy

« Reply #26 on: 3 Jul 2013, 12:57 pm »
I still enjoy movies though the 6.1 speaker set up.  You just can't get the LFE my Outlaw sub delivers via headphones.  Although a good option late at night, our course to avoid any beat downs.

ajzepp

« Reply #27 on: 4 Jul 2013, 06:38 am »
I still enjoy movies though the 6.1 speaker set up.  You just can't get the LFE my Outlaw sub delivers via headphones.  Although a good option late at night, our course to avoid any beat downs.

Yep, I'm a fan of "both", too  :lol:

Which outlaw sub do you have? I picked up an M8 a couple years ago...it packs quite a wallop for a little guy.

ajzepp

« Reply #28 on: 4 Jul 2013, 06:40 am »
I love watching movies with headphones, it brings me that much more into the fantasy the film is portraying plus its easier to understand dialogue, nuance, etc....try it on a tablet and you'll see why so many folks love that way also myself included. Enjoy zepp!!!! :thumb:

Oh heck yeah, it's almost shocking how good a movie experience can be on a tablet. If I plug in either my Beyer 1350s or Grado PS500s to my Kindle Fire, the audio quality is absolutely amazing. It's the simplest setup on earth, but so darn enjoyable!

FireGuy

« Reply #29 on: 4 Jul 2013, 01:27 pm »
Yep, I'm a fan of "both", too  :lol:

Which outlaw sub do you have? I picked up an M8 a couple years ago...it packs quite a wallop for a little guy.

I picked up Outlaw's LFM1 Plus for less than $500 (St. Patty's Day special as I recall).  No upgrade planned for this unit for quite some time.  It delivers every bit of it's 18 Hz rating as advertised...visceral in all respects.  As I understand, it's got some design influence by Dr. Hsu.  Enjoy the Holiday.

http://avrev.com/home-theater-loudspeakers/subwoofers/outlaw-audio-lfm-1-plus-subwoofer.html