Deoxit cleaning of tubes/socket ruined my sound!

WireNut

Re: Deoxit cleaning of tubes/socket ruined my sound!
« Reply #20 on: 29 Oct 2013, 10:22 pm »

Getting really off topic, but good to know. I would still proceed with caution. What you're saying may not universally apply to other vehicles, whose paint and finish are perhaps less than the high standard a Mercedes or a BMW certainly have.

Right.
What it does show is alcohol can be a good cleaner.
I'm wondering how the OP cleaned his tube sockets. I tried cleaning my sockets (6DJ8 type) with pipe cleaners but they wouldn't fit so I gave up and just cleaned the tube pins.

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #21 on: 29 Oct 2013, 10:37 pm »
Over the weekend, I cleaned my tube pins and sockets with Deoxit D.  I then followed up with Deoxit ProGold, retensioned the contacts and reinserted the tubes.  I sat down for a listening session this morning and it sounded horrid - thin, bright, grainy and harsh.  My rig normally is very clear/clean and sits slightly on the warm and lush side of neutral.  I can't stand to listen to it and want to reverse my error.  Can I use alcohol to remove the Caig?

Sounds like "something else" happened to your amps... are your tube sockets tight (you said you retensioned them)... are your tube sockets "point to point" wired or have a circuit board? Check the bias?

I've never heard Caig DeOxit products causing detrimental sound... just the converse...

Years ago while attending a dinner honoring Harry Pearson, someone asked Harry, "What was the best "tweak" for a hi-fi system?"... he simply said to use "ProGold" periodically on all your connections for the best sound possible from your system...

My $0.02,
Pete

setamp

« Reply #22 on: 29 Oct 2013, 11:52 pm »
Whew!  The alcohol worked.  I have my sound back again.  I don't if I had too much progold or what but it sounded horrid.  I cleaned the pins and sockets with denatured alcohol and removed a lot of what seemed like a light oil.  I'm just happy it was an easy fix.  Thanks for all of your help guys.

RDavidson

« Reply #23 on: 30 Oct 2013, 12:08 am »
Cool! Maybe I'll have to try alcohol, perhaps Moonshine, to clean my connectors......to give my system an Olde Tyme Southern draw.

Kidding aside, alcohol may be considered a cheap tweak I think. Perhaps next time I clean connectors I'll use alcohol as step 1 to remove crud, then apply a very thin coat of D100L (as a protective layer) as step 2.

JakeJ

« Reply #24 on: 30 Oct 2013, 07:13 pm »
Cool! Maybe I'll have to try alcohol, perhaps Moonshine, to clean my connectors......to give my system an Olde Tyme Southern draw.

:rotflmao:

So if I use gin will I get the classic British sound?  Maybe I should use Hai Karate so my system will have that extra kick!

Seriously, setamp, I'm very happy to hear you got back the sound you love from your system.  That's why we're in this crazy hobby, the music and how it sounds to our ears.

rbwalt

« Reply #25 on: 30 Oct 2013, 07:35 pm »
i just clean my tube pins. ok to clean the tube sockets but do not over do it. maybe once a yr. you are only going to loosen the contacts. if you use a enhancer such as pro gold only use it in very small amounts and i do mean small amounts. it can make things sound worse. a little goes a long way. cardas makes a very good contact enhancer. taking the tubes out and putting them in will clean the sockets also.

setamp

« Reply #26 on: 30 Oct 2013, 08:05 pm »
From now on I will avoid cleaning my sockets like I avoid cleaning the garage.

RDavidson

« Reply #27 on: 30 Oct 2013, 08:14 pm »
Yeah. Cleaning the tube sockets is probably overboard unless you have a vintage amp that sat collecting dust for years. As long as the tube pins are clean you aren't allowing dirt into the sockets (via dirty pins). I always keep my tubes in my tube gear to keep dust from getting to the sockets also. :thumb:

setamp

« Reply #28 on: 30 Oct 2013, 08:18 pm »
It was just one of those things.  I had the q-tips and deoxit out, the tubes were pulled, cleaned and drying and I thought "what could possibly go wrong"?

RDavidson

« Reply #29 on: 30 Oct 2013, 09:23 pm »
I understand. I'm the same way. May as well do it all in one shot while you're at it, right?
I was just adding to rbwalt's post. Wasn't trying to make it sound like you're crazy for going above and beyond what is necessary. It's in our nature to do such things from time to time. It's the Tim the Tool Man in us. Or in some cases the Clark W Griswold in us "fixing" the newel post. :lol:

philloamps

• Industry Participant
« Reply #30 on: 24 Nov 2013, 10:26 pm »
As a note on Deoxit, I once used it on a dirty pot and afterwards the pots ceased working altogether.  It's the only bad experience I ever had with Deoxit and I suspect the pot wiper was about to fall apart anyway.  Thing about spraying cleaners into or around tube sockets and circuits, you are dealing with high impedance circuits and any leakage current from contamination such as cleaner residue can affect performance.

Svoo

« Reply #31 on: 21 Dec 2013, 12:23 pm »
I´ve always had positive results using Deoxit (for interconnects, speaker cables, chassis connectors, opamps). What it comes to old stained tube pins, Coca Cola is well-known polisher and available everywhere.

fejnomit

« Reply #32 on: 27 Dec 2013, 05:39 pm »
I have used Deoxit on connectors before with good results.  Same with Silclear.  I find a nice upgrade in sound using Silclear on tube-pins (when applied in a VERY thin layer) but I have been warned not to try to coat the inside of the tube sockets with it or ANY conducting material.  Like the suspended silver in Silclear, the suspended gold in Deoxit Gold is indeed a conductor and if it were to get below the socket and into your wiring you could actually cause some serious damage.  Putting it on the pins has the effect of coating the inside of the sockets once the tubes are inserted anyway.  Maybe ship your amp back to Craig and see if he can clean it?  I had an ECBA for a long while and those new teflon sockets don't ever need cleaning, imo.  Old tube pins, yes.  I would think that you have introduced an excess of the Deoxit Gold into the sensitive connections below your sockets.  Just my $.02.  Hope that helps.

Golden Ears

« Reply #33 on: 17 Dec 2017, 06:05 am »
Old thread,

I also tried using Pro gold. I wanted more bass and everything else in my "loaner" system was startling SO Real . I was so close to audio nirvana and without mega buck gear. All my digital was so close to ,,,,not JUST OK good ...but EXCELLENT analog.

So I figured better conductivity, more current , better bass. Let's pro gold everything .

I cleaned my sockets and pins with deoxit D , then followed by putting deoxit gold on the pins.

Reassembled.

My startlingly convincing STATE  OF THE ART vocals , now FELL to  just at the edge of the beginning of high fidelity almost as low as mid-fi. My bass was better (careful for what you wish for) my sound stage collapsed and almost spounds  mono. My speakers which had disappeared now were identifiable .

I tried repositioning my speakers to compensate for the tonal shift, but frankly the detail was gone. That fine detail when a singer opens and closes their mouth at the beginning and end of the note, the subtle vibrato,,,,,smeared...arrrrgggh.

I think for many people , deoxit gold works very well, but when you get this close to reproducing reality, to making a "time machine" that transports you to the original venue at that moment in time, sometimes something simple like changing a power cable or interconnect can ruin it all. Well I'll add deoxit gold to this list.

Now how to get ALL OF THAT out of my sockets?  I tried alcohol fuel, (this brought back 75% of the magic) then as there was so much oil residue from the deoxit gold I used starting fluid. But that isn't just ether it also has a lubricant  and anti corrosion additives, but it was th only way to get the oily deoxit stuff gone.

Worse still I blasted my input level potentiometers on the amp with deoxit gold  , So I'll have to clean that out too,

I'm thinking just tons of 99% alcohol and then compressed air, or perhaps lighter fluid , and then alcohol and then compressed air , let the amp sit in the sun inside for a day or so so I don't have a instant bonfire.

I remember the old CRC that was great stuff.

Any suggestions  are more than appreciated.

The system , Well thought I would sell it, (since i have better stuff)  and now, I'm enjoying it so much I'm not so sure I want to have it gone, amazing since the signal cabling is meager as well as the signal should be full of tons of jitter (iPad + Apple TV gen 3 over shudder Verizon LTE 4G )  as this is simple  compared to my mega system. It's amazing with all the shortcomings that it sounds so convincingly real , and I tune some of the best systems for very well know audiophiles with not just "expensive"  but truly musical sounding systems.

Here's what it is ....I would never believe this to sound so good.

MIT Z Duplex outlet $299
Wells power conditioner (Shunyata AC power cable) $???
Apple iPad Air 2 128 GB off Craig's list using Verizon 4G LTE and personal hotspot over wifi to Apple TV!
Tidal hi-fi $21 month
Apple TV gen 3 rmodel 1469 rev. A  (standard power cable) $69
Some old monster cable toslink cable $25
Aqua Acoustics  La VOCE  DAC (factory power cable ) $2500
NORDOST red dawn RCA (blue heaven is a little mellower) $400
Esoteric Audio Research E.A.R. 890 stock signal tubes but with JJ6550 power tubes $8300  (DH labs red wave cable) $400
Nordost White Lightning speaker cable $300
Chapman T-7 with custom  duelund caps on the midrange in rounded diffraction cabinets. $12,995

Exact Same speaker pair as seen here:

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2014/06/12/newport-2014-chapman-audio-systems-meets-vac-results-in-glory/

And yet with a $2500 DAC as opposed to that $24,000 MSB stack
With a 70 watt amp WITH CHEAP ($38 per tube JJ6550 ) EASY TO FIND CURRENTLY PRODUCED TUBES as opposed to the  VAC PHI 200 $10,000

The Nordost is their bottom of the line cable
The Nordost red dawn is second from the bottom
And the fact that it sounds believable with Tidal which is EVER SO SLIGHTLY less revealing than CD (yes I know it's a Redbook file )
No computer
No server, just an old  iPad
Cheap optical cable

And it sounds better than any of the systems I have done at the shows , even ones with nearly $80k in cable ,  expensive monobloc amplifiers running unobtainable tubes that are modified. And I ALWAYS get great sound and great reviews at Audio shows.

It's just crazy synergy. No other explanation. Personally I like the Chapman T-8 and T-9mkII better as speakers, but in this system it is perfect synergy and I think the T-7 is unbeatable in this system.

I don't know even need a preamp as the volume controls on the amp are perfectly usable . Just for fun I tossed a EAR 912 preamp in the chain ( $12k ), and it didn't need it. And that's a MARVELOUS PRE-Amp probably my favorite audio component , and I felt it did not need it, and almost ANY  system improves with a 912.

And now.....
 I have to clean those contacts of that residual deoxit to bring it back to that time machine.

I'm sure the deoxit helps, to clean oxidation ...I needed to do it, but now I just need to get the deoxit off.

Probably back to deoxit D after the alcohol since that sounded VERY good. Just didn't like the deoxit gold and I'm betting the deoxit d won't dissolve deoxit gold. So that's why I am thinking lighter fluid with an alcohol rinse . And standard deoxit d for the potentiometers.

Compared to my mega systems, this is so easy. The amp is self biasing (major headache gone) , the signal tubes last $10,000 hours. The power tubes are cheap. No tubes in the DAC. THE SPEAKERS are indestructible and have easy to find  reasonable cost drivers that will be abpvailable for decades in case you have aggressive cats or kids with whiffle bats.

If only I had this system in high school  :lol:

Johnny2Bad

« Reply #34 on: 17 Dec 2017, 07:38 am »
Over the weekend, I cleaned my tube pins and sockets with Deoxit D.  I then followed up with Deoxit ProGold, retensioned the contacts and reinserted the tubes.  I sat down for a listening session this morning and it sounded horrid - thin, bright, grainy and harsh.  My rig normally is very clear/clean and sits slightly on the warm and lush side of neutral.  I can't stand to listen to it and want to reverse my error.  Can I use alcohol to remove the Caig?

Which ProGold formula did you use, the 100% liquid or the 5% spray?

JakeJ

« Reply #35 on: 17 Dec 2017, 02:47 pm »
Congratulations!  You have stumbled accross "system synergy" with this grouping of equipment.  Sell everything else and enjoy!

Pryso

« Reply #36 on: 17 Dec 2017, 07:02 pm »
Isn't the general rule with Caig products to use as little as possible?  One of the old descriptions sounded as if there was still an observable amount on the metal.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #37 on: 17 Dec 2017, 07:17 pm »
Deoxit and Caig are oiled solitions?
If so it will attract dust.
« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2017, 09:55 pm by FullRangeMan »

ssglx

« Reply #38 on: 17 Dec 2017, 09:29 pm »
I can relate with trying Deoxit Gold.
It was several years ago, but one of the few bad experiences I've had was treating my cables with it.  I don't recall now the particulars, but I was very disapointed with my system until I removed it.
I've only used regular Deoxit (the red stuff) since, with generally excellent results.

jules

« Reply #39 on: 18 Dec 2017, 01:41 am »
Apart from a comment above from philloamps I don't think anyone has made the point that if you use something like pro-gold or any other fluid/oil containing conductive metal fragments, there's a very high risk that that this substance will travel across surfaces to create electrical paths where you don't want them. This is always going to be a problem where tubes are involved because of the proximity of the pins/sockets. The problem will also be accentuated by heat, which is inevitably present in tube bases.

Caig and others recommend using this stuff sparingly for a reason and really, if you clean your pins and bases properly it shouldn't be necessary to use conductive paste as well.

Some of the oxides you'll find on pins and sockets are going to be soluble in plain water though it would have to be dried off afterwards. Alcohol has the advantage of evaporating very quickly so it's not going to cause any residue problems. I suspect it's not going to dissolve oxides of copper or zinc either  :).

At the other end of the scale, using a sealant that's also an insulant can have the opposite effect and hinder conductivity where you want it.