P R E A M P S for DAC4800A and Cherry

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
P R E A M P S for DAC4800A and Cherry
« on: 1 Apr 2010, 03:36 pm »
We'd like to know what preamps people are using with DAC4800A and Cherry amps.  Please post if you have one of our amps or if you've heard a good combo demo.

Comments on all premps that you tried are welcome.

Remember to include output type (tube/valve, SS, balanced, unbalanced, etc.).  Thanks.

mfsoa

Re: P R E A M P S for DAC4800A and Cherry
« Reply #1 on: 1 Apr 2010, 03:43 pm »
VAC Standard MKII (tube), both RCA and XLR. Prefer the XLR. Want to explore more XLR cable options.

Forte Model 40 (SS), RCA, was used when I was having tube issues w/ the above. Was suprised at how I didn't "need" the tubes back in the chain - The SS pre still sounded great w/ the Cherry I had at the time.

-Mike

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #2 on: 1 Apr 2010, 06:06 pm »
Audio Research SP9 here, with unbalanced outputs.  I use a Theta Digital D/A to drive the pre, and the sound is great.

A friend of mine has a Michaelson & Austin preamp, but I'm not sure which model.  We played the DAC4800A with it years ago --- great results.

Still, I prefer driving amps directly with a balanaced and level controlled D/A (such as Lavry).

vdejulio

« Reply #3 on: 1 Apr 2010, 06:16 pm »
Bel Canto Pre3 for me! Very, very nice sound indeed :eyebrows:

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #4 on: 1 Apr 2010, 06:25 pm »
I had the DAC4800 for a while and my partner had the Cherry and 4800A side by side. We were using the Purity Statement balanced linestage and while the Cherry sounded very nice, the 4800 was a beautiful mate. I also used the Purity One with the 4800 using XLR-RCA adapters and the amp was still dead quiet. I really miss having this amp on hand.

I will admit that I was never big on not having tube power but this combination has changed me.

I enjoyed the neutral and dynamic presentation of the 4800 so much that I will be bringing another in for use in evaluation, testing and demo'ing the Purity linestages in our showroom.

Very nice work AD333

jman66

« Reply #5 on: 2 Apr 2010, 12:44 pm »
TADAC 2009 via XLRs into the DAC4800A.  So far, really good!

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #6 on: 2 Apr 2010, 03:59 pm »
TADAC 2009 via XLRs into the DAC4800A.  So far, really good!

Ohhh I bet it does match up good, really really good. I heard the 2010 version w/o a volume control last week and was very impressed with the clarity of this tube DAC. Now this is a nonpreamp setup I'd love to hear, especially with a set of SP Tech Mini's.  :drool:   Bet it's to die for,,,,  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

TONEPUB

« Reply #7 on: 2 Apr 2010, 04:17 pm »
So far, here's what I've used with the Cherry Plus with good results:

Mystere (tube, single ended)
ARC SP-17 (tube, single ended)
McIntosh C500 (tube, XLR)
Burmester 011 (SS, XLR)
dCS Paganini (SS, XLR)

So far, so good, this is a very nice amp at the price point.  We will have a full review up on our site in mid-May.  (traveling a lot this month, so a little behind on things)

watercourse

« Reply #8 on: 3 Apr 2010, 12:19 am »
Currently use these preamps with the Cherry Jr.:

Dodd Battery (tubed RCA)
Bel Canto DAC3 (SS RCA, XLR)

Both work very well, but I only use the DAC3 direct via XLRs when I'm recharging the Dodd, although it is MUCH quieter and a better impedance match than the Dodd. Am very happy with the synergy of both these pre's with the Cherry Jr.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #9 on: 3 Apr 2010, 12:36 pm »
Anybody ever try a tube buffer between a SS pre and one of the DAC amps?

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #10 on: 3 Apr 2010, 07:23 pm »
Interesting idea...

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #11 on: 3 Apr 2010, 07:56 pm »

Most tube buffers I have heard take away from the presentation. Unless it is a very high quality design, I would be skeptical. These amps deserve not to have anything distract from them. After hearing what these amps are capable of, I wouldn't want to put anything in the chain that wasn't up to the task.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #12 on: 5 Apr 2010, 12:03 pm »
Some balanced tube preamps mentioned:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=78819.msg748414#msg748414

A balanced tube preamp list from Audiogon here:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=78819.msg748487#msg748487

Let's not forget that SS preamps work well with our amps too!

Big Red Machine

« Reply #13 on: 12 Apr 2010, 07:31 pm »
Interesting idea...

So let me try this again.  Say we had a computer, into the SS Db Labs dac, then a Dodd tube buffer, and then a 4800A or Cherry Jr., and then 87 db 4 ohm speakers.

Would the input and output impedances, gains, flavors, etc. allow the Dodd to actually control the volume???

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #14 on: 12 Apr 2010, 07:48 pm »
Currently use these preamps with the Cherry Jr.:

Dodd Battery (tubed RCA)
Bel Canto DAC3 (SS RCA, XLR)

Both work very well, but I only use the DAC3 direct via XLRs when I'm recharging the Dodd, although it is MUCH quieter and a better impedance match than the Dodd. Am very happy with the synergy of both these pre's with the Cherry Jr.

I can't imagine that anything is quieter than the Dodd?? :scratch:  Are you using tubes from the 6dj8 family?  I know that Gary had told me that some of the Russian varieties introduce noise that is noticeable in very high effeciency speakers.  Since you are using RCA's, I'd sure contact Gary as something is probably not right.

watercourse

« Reply #15 on: 12 Apr 2010, 08:36 pm »
Well, when I say not as quiet, I'm talking about hearing a hiss less than a foot or so away from the speaker with normal volumes - you can't hear it in the music tho. This may be due to tube rush or minor impedance mismatch with the Cherry, but it also could be that I'm expecting it to be dead quiet. When I turn it up REALLY loud, I can hear a slight hiss from the listening position.
I'm thinking of trying out an inline attenuator to improve S/N from the Dodd. Or if anyone else thinks this is a problem to take up with Gary, I will definitely follow up with him.

gerald porzio

« Reply #16 on: 12 Apr 2010, 09:54 pm »
Whenever you use tubes in a preamp or buffer, unless an extremely low sensitivity spkr. is used, a certain amount of tube rush (noise) will be heard w/o music playing when close to the spkr. Consider this part of the tube magic.

watercourse

« Reply #17 on: 12 Apr 2010, 09:57 pm »
Definitely not enough of an issue to relegate the Dodd to #2 position! Thanks all!

sentry

« Reply #18 on: 13 Apr 2010, 06:55 pm »
Audio Research SP9 here, with unbalanced outputs.  I use a Theta Digital D/A to drive the pre, and the sound is great.

A friend of mine has a Michaelson & Austin preamp, but I'm not sure which model.  We played the DAC4800A with it years ago --- great results.

Still, I prefer driving amps directly with a balanaced and level controlled D/A (such as Lavry).

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Notes about preamps on our BLOG
« Reply #19 on: 16 Apr 2010, 12:53 am »
Comments about balanced versus unbalanced, plus some technical detail...
http://digitalamp.blogspot.com/2010/04/when-it-comes-to-preamps-i-prefer.html