Lepai T amp from Parts Express

bummrush

Re: Lepai T amp from Parts Express
« Reply #20 on: 28 Jul 2016, 01:17 am »
Im still quite happy with my muse. I had music turned up fairly loud, when i was like damn i can actually feel the bass coming out of the music,took me by surprise.

drphoto

« Reply #21 on: 30 Jul 2016, 01:23 am »
call me crazy (lot do!) but I fired up my samsung galaxy mini that Sprint included when I go my new iPhone. I think as an audio source it sounds way better than iPhone or the Macbook pro, on low rez stuff like youtube vids. Weird I know. I mean I was blasting it and no distortion.

Its a neat little gadget. I haven't used to much much at all. Thought I could have as metronome for music practice.

drphoto

« Reply #22 on: 10 Aug 2016, 11:43 pm »
even the monster loves the Lepai..... :D

drphoto

« Reply #23 on: 9 Sep 2016, 04:19 am »
Onsale for $22. For computer audio, this and a pair of Dayton audio passives would blow away most "computer speakers"  I'm mean the one's from Best Buy, etc. Not something like AudioEngine, of course. 

(I'm running the  Onix Ref 2, which are pretty decent)  :D

Guy 13

« Reply #24 on: 9 Sep 2016, 07:16 am »
even the monster loves the Lepai..... :D

Hi drphoto,
usually cats love to sit on anything hot, but I think the Lepai run pretty cool,
so why he's there ? For the picture I guess.
By the way, which one sound better (Less distortion) ?
The cat (Miaoooo) or the Lepai ?

Guy 13
on planet Vietnam.

By the way, nice looking cat.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #25 on: 9 Sep 2016, 11:31 am »
C & C has it's charms.  Sins of omission, not commission (does less right but also less wrong).  I enjoy a Logitech UE Smart Radio for background listening in our open living space.  It's a $100 wireless monophonic clock radio that does little wrong.  And it is much less obtrusive than my 3rd generation audio leftovers that it replaced.  Many hi-end audio systems suffer from an artificial "hi-fi" sound, that seems almost mechanically designed to meet a set of parameters on paper but lack a musical/coherent presentation.  They may impress initially but the bloom soon wears off as listener fatigue sets in as the brain tries to "make sense" of the sound.

You also seem to be enjoying desktop/near-field listening which has it's advantages too (less room interaction).  I use near-field setups which really ups the involvement and imaging factors, versus far-field which in comparison seems simply like there's sound in the room.  Note that 2-way stand-mounts in near-field settings is how nearly all recorded music is processed in the studio/mixing stages, so it's no wonder you'd be enjoying this setup.

I had a nice Class T amp years ago.  Typically they provide clean output up to 7 watts per channel, then distortion quickly sets in.  By the maximum rated 20 watt output the distortion is through the roof.  Most don't realize that watts to dB is a logarithmic scale, so moving up from 7 to 20 watts is only a 5 dB (10 dB sounds twice as loud), so no huge deal.  But drivers and the air inside speakers have a mass associated that requires a certain amount of power to provide momentum (to "get them started").  And my chosen speakers needed more than Class T could provide to get them to really sing. 

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #26 on: 9 Sep 2016, 02:58 pm »
Onsale for $22. For computer audio, this and a pair of Dayton audio passives would blow away most "computer speakers"  I'm mean the one's from Best Buy, etc. Not something like AudioEngine, of course. 

(I'm running the  Onix Ref 2, which are pretty decent)  :D

Be aware there are three different Lepai amps at PartsExpress that all look pretty much the same.
  • LP-2020A+ ($28.88) is the one with the TriPath TA2020 chip which I think you have. Based on the PE published specs it puts out 20W per channel, presumably into 4 ohms.
  • LP-2020 (on sale for $22.00) uses the Yamaha YDA138 chip and is also spec'ed at 20W per channel - identified as "Class-D" on the front panel. (Interesting that the spec sheet for this chip only lists 10W stereo into 8 ohms...for 20W output into 4 ohms it needs to be configured in mono mode, which begs the doubtful question are two chips used?? Also interesting, this chip also has an onboard 50mw headphone amp if the amp maker so chooses to use).
  • LP-2024A+ ($20.00) uses the TriPath TA2024 chip and is spec'ed at 15W per channel into 4 ohms. I've still got a couple of the Sonic Impact 5066 T-Amp based on this chip... nice sound when not pushed to its limits, which you can get to pretty easily.

So it would seem you want to look for the A+ model designation with "Class-T" on the front panel if the TriPath chip is what you want. It should be noted that, based on the chip datasheets, the max output for all of these amp chips are rated at 10% distortion.

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #27 on: 9 Sep 2016, 03:11 pm »
I enjoy a Logitech UE Smart Radio for background listening in our open living space.  It's a $100 wireless monophonic clock radio that does little wrong.  And it is much less obtrusive than my 3rd generation audio leftovers that it replaced.

At the risk of going off topic...  :thumb: :thumb:

I've got two of these. One is the original Logitech branded version (no internal battery installed) and the other is UE branded with an internal rechargeable battery that makes it portable around the house/patio/garage. Agreed... very pleasant sound for background music and syncing with my main system (via Squeezebox) for whole-house music when entertaining. They probably get the most use of any audio components in our house thanks to their ease of use for my wife and kids; and they are just perfect for grabbing and taking anywhere in the house, out to the garage, onto the patio, front porch while landscaping, etc.

drphoto

« Reply #28 on: 8 Nov 2016, 05:35 am »
I know this thread has been idle, I've been away from site for awhile. Clocking crazy hours at hospital.

Anyway, yes Krikor is correct. The 2020+ amp runs out of steam fairly quickly. I produces nowhere near 20 w/ch, at least at any tolerable level of distortion.

However, all I ever wanted was a computer audio near field system that would beat 'computer' speakers from say, Best Buy. In no way do I think this competes with something on the order of Audioengine. But, as I had the Onix speakers in a closet, $30 for the amp gave me what I wanted and a lot more. Sounds way better than expected, but it does have its limits. I thought about getting a higher current regulated power supply, but you know, it's just not worth it. Maybe someday, I'll stumble across a nice vintage integrated amp from the 70's or so that would work a bit better and still be cheap.

bummrush

« Reply #29 on: 8 Nov 2016, 03:11 pm »
Still happy with my little  Muse.Listenedto Who live at Lyon and damn that amp just rocked.Super clean recording didnt hurt.