Room correct bass driver in 3-ways?

BobRex

Re: Room correct bass driver in 3-ways?
« Reply #20 on: 14 Mar 2017, 05:17 pm »
I have used it, not paint, I used black dye for wood.
Automotive guys use black paint inside subs and midranges boxes since ever. I most surprised the HiFi speakers builders complete ignore this cheap and safe procedure. The effect resulting is treble reduction.

In other forum they strong suggest me Zobel filter :duh:
I'm not following.  What's the science on this?  While I'll accept that black will absorb light, at low (audio) frequencies it is irrelevant.  Or to logically extend your claim, does painting the interior white result in brighter treble?

JDUBS

« Reply #21 on: 23 Mar 2017, 02:14 am »
Hey fellas, just an update.  I got the iNUKE earlier this week.  I disconnected the LF portion of each of the in-built 3-way amps and then connected the iNUKE to each of the woofers directly.  I replicated the stock crossover settings (i.e., 24db at 600hz) and all is well!!!

Pretty pumped.   I need to run some sweeps to tweak overall levels and then play with the dsp but so far so good.

-Jim

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #22 on: 23 Mar 2017, 02:57 am »
I have used it, not paint, I used black dye for wood.
Automotive guys use black paint inside subs and midranges boxes since ever. I most surprised the HiFi speakers builders complete ignore this cheap and safe procedure. The effect resulting is treble reduction.

In other forum they strong suggest me Zobel filter :duh:

Sounds intriguing.
Most tweeters have sealed backs.
FRM,how does it work?
May be you mean mid-range reduction?
Still i'm clueless how it works even in mid-range

Interesting! never the less!

a ha ,boosting bass and mids thus treble appears reduced.. :thumb:

JDUBS

« Reply #23 on: 7 May 2017, 11:39 pm »
Hey Guys

Just an update.  I had help getting external crossover boxes built for the 2-way waveguide section.  Now I have the inuke dsp amp diving the woofers directly and an ATI 2-channel amp driving the waveguide sections.  The crossover boxes are flexible in that I can run different amps for the compression driver and midrange if I want.

I'm really thinking about adding a tube buffer to the waveguide section.

Still need to tweak the dsp setting of the inuke, but I'm liking the setup a LOT so far!

-Jim

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #24 on: 8 May 2017, 12:26 pm »
Sounds intriguing.
Most tweeters have sealed backs.
FRM,how does it work?
May be you mean mid-range reduction?
Still i'm clueless how it works even in mid-range

Interesting! never the less!

a ha ,boosting bass and mids thus treble appears reduced.. :thumb:
Sorry this late reply, I have see your post just now.
I cant say for sure if its midrange or treble, since the border between one and other is debatable and vary by the ear, to my ears was treble, but it was around 2003.