The old guys got it RIGHT all along!

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!

jimdgoulding

Re: The old guys got it RIGHT all along!
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jan 2016, 02:11 am »
I hope that youngen's will expand their horizons PDQ.  I was probably around 25 before I did altho me mom's best friend was a classical music lover with a stereo.  Stereo was a new innovation at the time.   As I grew older, classical music become as important to me as R&B and Jazz.  Didn't just have to be of Western origin, either.

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jan 2016, 01:11 pm »
Depends on age bracket I guess.

I was 10 in 1980 when I first started buying music.  Cassettes and cd's dominated my purchasing for the first 20 years of music buying.  Most of that rock, grunge, electronics and some classical.

It is only in the last 5-10 years that it expanded much.  And still all digital files for me.  The last 2-3 years have been jazz binging because I figured out how I could get into jazz.  I find the blatty, loud, super complicated stuff jarring and hard to take.  It was only through combing catalogues of 50's jazz that opened my ears. 

So I suppose I am part of the movement, but don't consider myself young.  My kids enjoy modern pop, but some of the "old" stuff I listen to gets through too.  Though their definition of "old" differs from mine!

charmerci

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jan 2016, 05:33 pm »
It's finally gotten through to the young 'uns!

http://www.chartattack.com/news/2016/01/20/old-music-is-outselling-new-music-for-the-first-time-in-history/

Old music is a misnomer - catalog albums are defined by being older than 18 months.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #4 on: 24 Jan 2016, 06:48 pm »
I think it would be great if classic jazz experiences a resurgence among the millennials. On the other hand, it would also be nice if jazz audiences would follow and learn to appreciate some of the newer strains of jazz and not just stay bogged down in old music. Endless playing of the same old standards is akin hardening of arteries. I prefer to mix my playlists with offerings of the classics and the new, including free jazz.