Vintage Smut (formerly Show Us Your Pictures)

martyo

Re: Vintage Smut (formerly Show Us Your Pictures)
« Reply #200 on: 5 Apr 2013, 09:10 am »
if that was the first cd player, then what's this? 

http://gizmodo.com/5820608/sony-cdp+101-the-worlds-first-cd-player

sony also made the first car stereo cd players, the cdx-5 and the cdx-7, which added fm.  there was a cdx-7 in a used car i bought, back in 1986, which was ironic, cuz i didn't have any cd's, and didn't get a home stereo cd player until the late 90's...

i did buy a few cd's to listen to in that car...

doug s.

That Sony is the deck that I had always heard was the first. They're both model 101!

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #201 on: 5 Apr 2013, 12:12 pm »
The Philips CD101 wasn't the first. Philips had a model that preceded it. The Philips CD100 and the Sony CDP-101 were introduced simultaneously. Philips developed the compact disc technology, but Sony was responsible for making it fit into a consumer sized package. Ergo, it was a shared creation and they agreed to introduce their players at the same time. There were differences beneath the skin, the greatest of those being the filter designs and the fact that the Sony had a remote (the first audio component I ever had that I could operate remotely). I preferred the Philips to the Sony, but purchased both. Believe it or not, both still work. Of course, I didn't use them long. When Sony introduced the CDP-501, I upgraded - it was a significant improvement, and they continued to get better.

Forgive the crappy old pictures (that I scanned).

SET Man

« Reply #202 on: 6 Apr 2013, 03:17 am »
Hey!

Hmmm... you guys are right. The Sony was the first to release the 101 in Japan I think. I'm pretty sure both Philips and Sony machines share a lot of inside.

I remembered watching TV show on The History Channel I think of which part of the show was about CD. And it turned out that the length of CD was determined by than Sony executive of whom were a classical music conductor. He was asked of how long the CD should be? And the answer was long enough to hold the entire Beethoven's Ninth Symphony. So, that is 74 mins and that make the almost 5" in diameter of which if I remembered correctly the first commercial 78rpm disc made by Berliner of who invented the flat disc record.

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

jhm731

« Reply #203 on: 8 Apr 2013, 06:52 pm »

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #204 on: 8 Apr 2013, 06:57 pm »
I bought my first CD player in March of 1984. 

It was a Yamaha CD-2.  It listed for around $600.    I had that till the mid 90's when I upgraded to a 5 disc CD changer.  When that died, I moved to a Denon DCM-390 and now I have a Windows PC that's a dedicated music server.

I gave the old Yamaha CD-2 to a friend where it lived till it died.  I think the laser finally failed in it.

HsvHeelFan

jhm731

« Reply #205 on: 8 Apr 2013, 06:57 pm »

DTB300

« Reply #206 on: 8 Apr 2013, 07:31 pm »
In 1983, Sears advertised their CD Player (made by Sanyo).  At the time all the other Cd players were over $1k in price.  The Sears player was $589, but for $599 you also go 3 CD's!!!!  It was great at the time.  Got a Talking Heads, Stevie Nicks, and.......

Here is the link to the AD from 1983 Sears Catalog
http://www.wishbookweb.com/1983_SearsWishbook/images/SearsWishbook-1983-P408.jpg

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #207 on: 8 Apr 2013, 10:15 pm »
That "digital audio is awesome" bit from the Sears ad is what the tube audio manufacturers must have been thinking as it ended up reinvigorating a dying branch of the tree.
I wonder what this hobby would be like if ones and zeros hadn't made the leap? 
Would tube stereo gear still exist except in perhaps a few isolated pockets for the lunatic fringe?

jhm731

« Reply #208 on: 9 Apr 2013, 07:31 pm »

dB Cooper

« Reply #209 on: 18 Apr 2013, 11:04 pm »
Wow, those were the days before "WAF", when the "Old Lady" would wait on you hand and foot- and look good doing it- even when you put a cart full of hot, ugly "hifi" equipment right in her way in the kitchen while she's trying to fix Christmas dinner. (Judging from the small turkey, there wasn't much left over after buying the "hi fi" equipment.) No backtalk, no attitude, no "Honey, GET THIS G**D*** HI FI GEAR OUT OF MY KITCHEN!!!", no dumping the turkey over your head- my how times have changed...  :icon_lol:

medium jim

jhm731

« Reply #211 on: 22 Apr 2013, 09:38 pm »
Dual P 1010 AV 52

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #212 on: 22 Apr 2013, 09:45 pm »
I had no idea Dual ever made something like that.
That's pretty wild.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #213 on: 16 Jun 2013, 06:38 pm »
A gentleman on thecarversite just floored me by giving me this beautiful Carver PST-14 cassette deck which is going to be a cornerstone of my upcoming desktop system.  He even popped in new bulbs for the level meters and I couldn't be happier, Christmas for funboy!
This is going to be a mix and match of vintage and modern and so far it's going pretty good.
The photo loader is fighting me right now so I'll try it a different way, please stand by, we are experiencing technical difficulties...
Wait a minute, it's operator error, don't you hate when that happens, here we go:

and this beauty will be joined by the old Harman Kardon F500x which, no fooling, another fellow on thecarversite gave me.

It can't be my deodorant or good looks so who knows.
Happy Father's Day, everybody.

Captainhemo

« Reply #214 on: 16 Jun 2013, 08:48 pm »
Hi All
This isn't my personal piece of equipment but   a friends who  recently sent me pictures and told me the  story. Thought   some of you  might like to see it.
This is supposidly a 1945 RCA radio   my buddy (Dan)  had given  to a friend  who is   in a   radio club . Dan gave it to him to  " recycle " any  usable parts .
Anyway,  the guy  knew  my buddy had originally got it from his dad.
The clud eneded up  secretly restoring it  and gave it back to Dan  on his birthday this year,  he was completely caught off guard and is just thrilled.  He does use it from time to time  and now proudly displays  it.
Gave it away to help out  the club , got it back   fully restored  Great little story, great little radio :)

-jay

« Last Edit: 27 Jun 2013, 11:39 pm by Captainhemo »

jhm731

« Reply #215 on: 16 Jun 2013, 09:49 pm »

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #216 on: 17 Jun 2013, 12:04 am »
That's awesome. I just sent it via email to a bunch of fellows I think can relate.  :lol:
Thank you.

jhm731

« Reply #217 on: 18 Jun 2013, 11:22 pm »
1960s Zenith Circle of Sound

jhm731

« Reply #218 on: 27 Jun 2013, 05:42 pm »
PIONEER SD-1100 Oscilloscope from 1978 $600 MSRP.

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #219 on: 4 Jul 2013, 10:11 pm »

QRX-4500