BRYSTON BDP DIGITAL PLAYERS NOW Roon Ready

tie_breaker

Re: BRYSTON BDP DIGITAL PLAYERS NOW Roon Ready
« Reply #300 on: 12 Oct 2016, 09:20 pm »
I don't think so, your PC is more powerful then the NAS I am using.
Thx

gtaphile

« Reply #301 on: 13 Oct 2016, 11:34 am »
I don't think so, your PC is more powerful then the NAS I am using.
Thx

I switched my system back to MPD and listened again this am. Its not even close.

In my opinion - Roon and any other system that relocates the files themselves away from the player and on a network has work to do to preserve how the package is delivered to the player.   

Gary

vklyushnikov

« Reply #302 on: 13 Oct 2016, 01:13 pm »
I performed thorough listening on BDP-2 @ Juli using several network players including Roon, Squeezelite and MPD DLNA(with umpdcli front-end). In short - they all sound much worse then plain MPD with local files on SSD with obvious soundstage issues - why being absolutely bitperfect. And as I said before soundstage issues often mean jitter. I don't know exact cause of this fault but I feel this may be related to OS settings or hardware architecture. Or may be poor software optimization for this particular hardware. In contrast Roon sounds absolutely perfect on some other network player with multicore processor.

Krutsch

« Reply #303 on: 13 Oct 2016, 02:22 pm »
I performed thorough listening on BDP-2 @ Juli using several network players including Roon, Squeezelite and MPD DLNA(with umpdcli front-end). In short - they all sound much worse then plain MPD with local files on SSD with obvious soundstage issues - why being absolutely bitperfect. And as I said before soundstage issues often mean jitter. I don't know exact cause of this fault but I feel this may be related to OS settings or hardware architecture. Or may be poor software optimization for this particular hardware. In contrast Roon sounds absolutely perfect on some other network player with multicore processor.

Do you make the same statement about MPD with files on a NAS device? Just curious and thanks in advance.

vklyushnikov

« Reply #304 on: 13 Oct 2016, 02:27 pm »
Do you make the same statement about MPD with files on a NAS device? Just curious and thanks in advance.

It sounds better than DLNA but a bit worse than SSD. Note that network traffic with DLNA is larger then simply fetching FLACs from NAS. And Jriver server has all settings to deliver audio via DLNA as WAVs. So this is much more i/o than with NAS.

generichs

« Reply #305 on: 13 Oct 2016, 11:55 pm »
Gary, my setup is similar to yours, I have the bdp-2 connected to a bda-3 via aes/ebu.  I switched to Roon from Mpd and am really enjoying the quality of the sound as well as the Roon interface. I have Roon core running on a Synology NAS and controller on my ipad.  Both the NAS and the bdp-2 are connected to a gigabit switch.  I initially had a 10/100 hub and there was a noticeable difference when I changed to a gigabit switch.  I do like the Roon sound as it is a bit more laid back in my opinion.  When I compared Roon to Mpd months ago I felt the Mpd had a slight edge in clarity but Mpd sounded a bit brighter and up front.  Both had great 3d imaging, and separation of instruments.  I prefer a more laid back and a softer sound which I get via Roon. The interface is great as well. 
Thx

Roon sounds more laid back because it has more bloom.  This gives the sound a more natural 3D presentation.  MPD still sounds good but has less detail because it does not have bloom.  Lack of bloom makes the sound more hifi and flatter.  Irony is, removal of detail results in hifi sound which seems more detailed because transients are etched.  This makes people think they are getting more detail.  Sound should have body and sound relaxed.

gtaphile

« Reply #306 on: 14 Oct 2016, 11:10 pm »
Roon sounds more laid back because it has more bloom.  This gives the sound a more natural 3D presentation.  MPD still sounds good but has less detail because it does not have bloom.  Lack of bloom makes the sound more hifi and flatter.  Irony is, removal of detail results in hifi sound which seems more detailed because transients are etched.  This makes people think they are getting more detail.  Sound should have body and sound relaxed.

Generichs

Can one make these assumptions about Roon across different systems?

It looks like people who chimed in have very different results.           

generichs

« Reply #307 on: 15 Oct 2016, 04:26 am »
Generichs

Can one make these assumptions about Roon across different systems?

It looks like people who chimed in have very different results.           

I can only comment on what I hear in my system and from my experience when hearing other audiophiles' systems.  My system has been auditioned by audio reviewers, so I know there are no quirks/oddities.   The Bryston BDP-1 & 2 should be used in quality systems to fully realize their potential.  This is a high resolution component capable of delivering a room full of musical bloom.  You do need to link it to the DAC with a quality digital cable.  I use Audioquest Diamond.  I originally used a 20yr old digital cable and achieved disappointing results.   

My original comment was posted in support of what Gary heard in his system.  I thought his comment was almost apologetic about the sound he heard and liked.  There seems to be trolling of people who say anything favorable about Roon sound on this site.
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2016, 08:24 am by generichs »

Krutsch

« Reply #308 on: 16 Oct 2016, 06:05 am »
It sounds better than DLNA but a bit worse than SSD. Note that network traffic with DLNA is larger then simply fetching FLACs from NAS. And Jriver server has all settings to deliver audio via DLNA as WAVs. So this is much more i/o than with NAS.

You know what, Vlad? You are dead on with that statement. Locally attached SSD  with MPD sounds best. I am finished experimenting and am back to my collection on a Samsung EVO 1TB SSD. Powers off of the lower, rear port just fine on my BDP-1.

vklyushnikov

« Reply #309 on: 16 Oct 2016, 06:50 am »
You know what, Vlad? You are dead on with that statement. Locally attached SSD  with MPD sounds best. I am finished experimenting and am back to my collection on a Samsung EVO 1TB SSD. Powers off of the lower, rear port just fine on my BDP-1.
It's your choise :) Hope you are ok with controlling Bdp via semi-dead MPAD or other solutions. I'm still addicted to network playback and bought one year Roon subscription, so I'm listening other player now.

Krutsch

« Reply #310 on: 16 Oct 2016, 05:27 pm »
It's your choise :) Hope you are ok with controlling Bdp via semi-dead MPAD or other solutions. I'm still addicted to network playback and bought one year Roon subscription, so I'm listening other player now.

I am on my second year for Roon... I switch back-and-forth, between MPD and Roon, depending on whether I am listening to newly downloaded/ripped music or I am exploring my library with Tidal.

generichs

« Reply #311 on: 24 Oct 2016, 05:34 am »
I think Roon is too expensive.  I tried to set up Audirvana but could not get the trial download to work.  Does Audirvana work with the BDP-1?

zoom25

« Reply #312 on: 24 Oct 2016, 05:39 am »
I think Roon is too expensive.  I tried to set up Audirvana but could not get the trial download to work.  Does Audirvana work with the BDP-1?

Nope.

Krutsch

« Reply #313 on: 1 Jan 2017, 09:35 pm »
FYI ... review of upcoming features for Roon 1.3. An impressive list.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2017/01/coming-over-the-hill-the-monstrous-roon-1-3/

Krutsch

« Reply #314 on: 13 Apr 2017, 03:35 pm »
BETA
S2.33 2017-04-07

S2.33 2017-04-05
Roon Ready
Fixed Bryston Transport Plugin
Updated Roon Ready sources to today release

S2.33 2017-04-04
Roon Ready
Updated Roon Ready sources
Should reduce resource usage
Audio Devices, made BDP-Pi and BDP-3 audio device selection page more user friendly

You know what else it does? It improves the sound in Roon Ready mode.

I've been doing a lot of back-and-forth listening between MPD + USB Flash drives and Roon from my ethernet connected Mac Book Pro. I would say that the sound quality between the two modes is now indistinguishable (which is not the case with the current, stable release, IMO).

Nice work, Bryston.

vklyushnikov

« Reply #315 on: 13 Apr 2017, 03:44 pm »

You know what else it does? It improves the sound in Roon Ready mode.

I've been doing a lot of back-and-forth listening between MPD + USB Flash drives and Roon from my ethernet connected Mac Book Pro. I would say that the sound quality between the two modes is now indistinguishable (which is not the case with the current, stable release, IMO).

Nice work, Bryston.

Well looks like I should remove dust from my BDP-2 and try to listen it with Roon again. I wonder why it took so long to update Roon Ready code? In comparison I've got almost a dozen of Roon Ready updates for Sonore Microrendu since November and very satisfied with sound.

Krutsch

« Reply #316 on: 13 Apr 2017, 09:40 pm »
Well looks like I should remove dust from my BDP-2 and try to listen it with Roon again. I wonder why it took so long to update Roon Ready code? In comparison I've got almost a dozen of Roon Ready updates for Sonore Microrendu since November and very satisfied with sound.

Do report back on how you think it sounds.

vklyushnikov

« Reply #317 on: 15 Apr 2017, 08:38 pm »
Do report back on how you think it sounds.
I've listened Roon with new beta firmware. Probably it's better than before but soundstage still has some flatness. Switched back and forth with microrendu and the difference is obvious - BDP-2 is not a winner unfortunately. May be this depends on style of music you are listening. I prefer hard rock and heavy metal and on BDP-2 kick drum localization is wrong - it sounds like sticked to speakers. On microrendu it sounds straight  from centre of soundstage - as it should be. Note that I used USB inputs on my BDA-3 with both sources. Btw BDA-3 is a significant improvement for USB playback over BDA-2 and sounds amazing with microrendu.
« Last Edit: 16 Apr 2017, 09:28 am by vklyushnikov »

Krutsch

« Reply #318 on: 15 Apr 2017, 09:25 pm »
I've listened Roon with new beta firmware. Probably it's better than before but soundstage still has some flatness. Switched back and forth with microrendu and the difference is obvious - BDP-2 is not a winner unfortunately. May be this depends on style of music you are listening. I prefer hard rock and heavy metal and on BDP-2 kick drum localisation is wrong - it sounds like sticked to speakers. On microrendu it sounds straight  from centre of soundstage - as it should be. Note that I used USB inputs on my BDA-3 with both sources. Btw BDA-3 is a significant improvement for USB playback over BDA-2 and sounds amazing with microrendu.

Just curious... do you prefer the USB output from the BDP-2 vs. the sound card (I recall you writing earlier that you are still on the ESI Juli@).

I've tried using USB out from my BDP-1 into my Bel Canto REFLink and really thought there was an improved sound (less jitter and noise?), but all this switching back and forth and I'm not sure I can trust my own ears, anymore, unless the change is significant.

Thanks for trying your BDP-2 with the new F/W and sharing your impressions.

EDIT: oh, and are you using any of the Roon DSP modes or passing straight through to the BDP?

vklyushnikov

« Reply #319 on: 16 Apr 2017, 09:50 am »
No, I don't use Roon DSP and have software volume switched off - I prefer to stay bit perfect. With BDA-3 I prefer USB output of BDP-2 but this doesn't change sound signature of Roon Ready - it has flat soundstage either with AES or USB. In your case I don't think that Bel Canto REFLink will make any significant difference. I tried many USB sources and USB accessories and can tell you that nothing beats a good USB source (not PC / Laptop of course) connected straight to the USB input of the DAC. No USB converter or purifier will make a weak source sounding great. But it's still unclear for me how software quality and resource usage influence USB playback. In theory async USB is free from jitter but looks that soundstage problems I mentioned are related to jitter.

Just curious... do you prefer the USB output from the BDP-2 vs. the sound card (I recall you writing earlier that you are still on the ESI Juli@).

I've tried using USB out from my BDP-1 into my Bel Canto REFLink and really thought there was an improved sound (less jitter and noise?), but all this switching back and forth and I'm not sure I can trust my own ears, anymore, unless the change is significant.

Thanks for trying your BDP-2 with the new F/W and sharing your impressions.

EDIT: oh, and are you using any of the Roon DSP modes or passing straight through to the BDP?