What tubes do you plan to use in your DHT?

decur

Re: What tubes do you plan to use in your DHT?
« Reply #20 on: 13 Sep 2016, 07:00 pm »
Has anyone tried "kr px4" tubes in the lio dht?
I remember hearing them years ago,in a eddie current balancing act headphone amp,and they sounded amazing! Rich tonality,extended highs..
Any thoughts?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #21 on: 13 Sep 2016, 07:54 pm »
I'm using 50's RCA 2A3 tubes.  I'm done. 

Vinnie R.

« Reply #22 on: 13 Sep 2016, 08:18 pm »

These:

https://tubedepot.com/products/rca-2a3-gray-plates

I have them as well and really like them!  (they currently are in my "favorites" list)  :inlove:

Need to find a good source of them - they are rare.

Not sure how these RCA 2A3 "gray plates" compare to the black plate version (which seem to be more commonly found).

Quote from: decur

Not me (yet), decur.  These are the ones:

http://tubesusa.com/KRtubes.html  ($732/pair)

mmm, more DHTs !!!  :drool: :drool: :drool:

Vinnie

jriggy

« Reply #23 on: 14 Sep 2016, 02:46 pm »

What do you guys like about them OR what do they give you over/in comparison to the stock tubes? 

jriggy

« Reply #24 on: 14 Sep 2016, 02:47 pm »
Hey Vinnie,

What is an acceptable difference in "ma" for a so called "matched pair" of DHT's for the LIO??

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #25 on: 14 Sep 2016, 03:06 pm »
Hey Vinnie,

What is an acceptable difference in "ma" for a so called "matched pair" of DHT's for the LIO??
Not Vinnie but not much at all.  Matching is VERY important in the DHT! 

Vinnie R.

« Reply #26 on: 14 Sep 2016, 03:30 pm »
What do you guys like about them OR what do they give you over/in comparison to the stock tubes?

Hi jriggy,

I find the RCA 2A3 gray plates have more "midrange magic" and a slightly more holographic presentation.
They do have some more hum compared to the stock EH2A3, but have low 'tube rush' noise like the stock tube.

I'm not so sure you can use that spec to determine how well a pair is matched in the LIO DHT PRE circuit.  I do it
by measuring the L/R outputs of the DHT stage with my scope to confirm how well matched they are in this design.

I'm happy when they are matched to within 0.5dB or better. 

(And the LIO NUDE RVC volume control is already very tightly matched via the Z-foil resistors, which I believe have a tolerance
of 0.5% or lower).  And LIO has a balance control if you find you need to use it (approx. 1dB steps to the L or R).

Vinnie

genjamon

« Reply #27 on: 14 Sep 2016, 03:46 pm »
I remember hearing them years ago,in a eddie current balancing act headphone amp,and they sounded amazing! Rich tonality,extended highs..
Any thoughts?

There have been some good recent comparisons in some of the Lampizator threads and Facebook pages.  The KR PX4 vs PX25 vs 242's.  The PX4's are said to be very balanced in terms of euphony/holography/tone vs linearity/control/frequency extension.  And very refined in terms of detail.  Could be good ones to try!

I have some Lampizator EML anniversary edition 45's coming to me this week I'm stoked about.  Yeah, there are a lot of options...

sfox7076

« Reply #28 on: 14 Sep 2016, 05:12 pm »
Will the ElRog 300B work on the LIO?  Thomas Mayer has recently taken over their manufacture (a huge +) and I wonder how they would compare to the other 300Bs out there (Thoriated Tungsten 300B, drool).  However, I think they require a current regulated source.  Mayer has just joined this forum, so maybe he can chime in. 

Shawn

Vinnie R.

« Reply #29 on: 14 Sep 2016, 05:23 pm »
Will the ElRog 300B work on the LIO?  Thomas Mayer has recently taken over their manufacture (a huge +) and I wonder how they would compare to the other 300Bs out there (Thoriated Tungsten 300B, drool).  However, I think they require a current regulated source.  Mayer has just joined this forum, so maybe he can chime in. 

Shawn

The LIO DHT PRE uses super-regulators for the filaments.  The voltage is set to 2.5V, 4V, or 5Vdc.  The output current supplied depends
on the resistance of the filament.  At t=0, the filaments tend to draw more current ("in-rush"), and over a few seconds as they warm up, the current draw stabilizes.

It should work just fine if they are 300Bs...

Vinnie

decur

« Reply #30 on: 14 Sep 2016, 11:47 pm »
These:

https://tubedepot.com/products/rca-2a3-gray-plates

I have them as well and really like them!  (they currently are in my "favorites" list)  :inlove:

Need to find a good source of them - they are rare.

Not sure how these RCA 2A3 "gray plates" compare to the black plate version (which seem to be more commonly found).

Not me (yet), decur.  These are the ones:

http://tubesusa.com/KRtubes.html  ($732/pair)

mmm, more DHTs !!!  :drool: :drool: :drool:

Vinnie
Yeah,the kr px4 are pricey,but out of all the dht tubes i have heard over the years,the kr px4 left a memorable impression on me,i still remember drooling over these at the new york head-fi meet,years ago. I wish there was a loaner program for these " hi- end tubes"

decur

« Reply #31 on: 14 Sep 2016, 11:52 pm »
Vinnie,if i get a pair of the kr px4s for my lio dht,i will definitelly send them your way,to try out

tme110

« Reply #32 on: 15 Sep 2016, 01:43 pm »
There's a lot of 2a3 talk.  I've never heard them myself, but every time I've heard 300B, there's been a lot of hype associated and I've seen the tubes used in a lot of high-end equipment.  I've just always expected them to be some magical tube so would think people would use them in LIO if available?

Does the DHT pre also replace the original volume control?  If you have the DHT pre, can you decide to go without the tubes and jumper something out to continue using the LIO?

Vinnie R.

« Reply #33 on: 15 Sep 2016, 02:34 pm »
Vinnie,if i get a pair of the kr px4s for my lio dht,i will definitelly send them your way,to try out

Hi Decur,

THANK YOU - I would love to try them!

Quote from: tme110
but every time I've heard 300B, there's been a lot of hype associated and I've seen the tubes used in a lot of high-end equipment.  I've just always expected them to be some magical tube so would think people would use them in LIO if available?

Hi tme110,

DHT customers are also rolling 300B's and enjoying them as well, but please understand that there will be no consensus on the "best" tubes for DHT PRE.  It all comes down to what sounds best to you, in your system, with your music, etc. 

Does the DHT pre also replace the original volume control?

Yes, the DHT PRE comes with a special version of the RVC module with Vishay nude Z-foil resistors ("NUDE RVC" module).
The NUDE RVC module and DHT PRE module are separate modules in the LIO.

If you have the DHT pre, can you decide to go without the tubes and jumper something out to continue using the LIO?

I suppose you could do this.  You would need to remove the DHT PRE module from your LIO and use a "LIO JUMPER" in one of the motherboard headers to complete the bypass.  But why do this if you purchased the DHT PRE?  :scratch:

Best regards,

Vinnie

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
« Reply #34 on: 19 Sep 2016, 02:25 am »
Decor, there is a loaner program.  Check the DHT tube tour thread in this forum....

tme110

« Reply #35 on: 20 Sep 2016, 12:41 pm »
Oh I understand.  I've always wanted to hear a 300B amp because I was under the impression that they were the king of tube amps but I don't know anything about them.  The question was more for my understanding, not checking on other peoples choices.  The the listening reviews it sounds like I'd be picking something other than the 300b myself if I had the DHT.

It may be illogical but I was currious about going tubeless with the DHT just because of personal needs.  I have a fairly small place and everything has it's place.  It may seem crazy, but the tubes sticking out of the top would keep the lio from 'fitting'.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #36 on: 20 Sep 2016, 12:49 pm »
Oh I understand.  I've always wanted to hear a 300B amp because I was under the impression that they were the king of tube amps but I don't know anything about them.  The question was more for my understanding, not checking on other peoples choices.  The the listening reviews it sounds like I'd be picking something other than the 300b myself if I had the DHT.

The Golden Lion 300B that is part of the tube tour was very good sounding (and my second favorite after the EML 2A3 mesh plate) tube.  I can definitely see how somebody could pick it as their favorite depending on their system and tastes.

George

TomS

« Reply #37 on: 23 Sep 2016, 09:29 pm »
Has anyone tried 45's? I know nothing about them but am looking at some Sylvania 45 Black Plates.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #38 on: 23 Sep 2016, 09:46 pm »
Has anyone tried 45's? I know nothing about them but am looking at some Sylvania 45 Black Plates.

Tom,

I have a pair of National Union 45 BlackPlates that you can borrow if you like.

George

jriggy

« Reply #39 on: 23 Sep 2016, 11:45 pm »
Tom,

I have a pair of National Union 45 BlackPlates that you can borrow if you like.

George

Are you sure you didn't sell those to me?  :icon_lol: