Synology NAS won't hibernate - BDP causing it?

Marius

Synology NAS won't hibernate - BDP causing it?
« on: 12 Feb 2015, 11:24 am »
HI Chris,

Could the BDP polling a networkshare on my Synology NAS be the cause of preventing the NAS from powering down/hibernate? I've stopped all other services on it (i think), and the only apparent interaction is between BDP and the Share on the NAS.

If so, could anything on the BDP's settings be changed so it only query's the NAS when needed?

Cheers,
Marius

Rod_S

Re: Synology NAS won't hibernate - BDP causing it?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Feb 2015, 11:59 am »
Is the BDP off when not in use?

Marius

« Reply #2 on: 12 Feb 2015, 01:43 pm »
No, my bdp is always on.

Is the BDP off when not in use?

Rod_S

« Reply #3 on: 12 Feb 2015, 05:14 pm »
OK

I also have a Synology NAS however I don't yet have the BDP. Hopefully it's a simple tweak of a setting somewhere as I wouldn't want the Synology to running 24/7

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #4 on: 13 Feb 2015, 02:26 am »
HI Chris,

Could the BDP polling a networkshare on my Synology NAS be the cause of preventing the NAS from powering down/hibernate? I've stopped all other services on it (i think), and the only apparent interaction is between BDP and the Share on the NAS.

If so, could anything on the BDP's settings be changed so it only query's the NAS when needed?

Cheers,
Marius

Nothing immediate comes to mind, if it was the BDP it would likey be something to do with CIFS keeping it awake.  The BDP doesn't grab any data off the source (NAS) unless it's updating or playing music.  Niether my linux box at home(used as a NAS) or the mybook live or wdmycloud(recently replaced the mybook live) are prevented from sleeping.  Each morning I fire up some tunes I'm always waiting for the hard drives to spin up, at the office it's mind of reassuring because I'm sitting right beside the NAS I here the drive come alive as soon as I hit that play button and then 5-10 seconds later I get my tunes.

But I digress back to, nothing I can think of, although synology has been coming up so often that recentl I have started to think we should get one in to test with regularly like the western digital stuff.  I'll talk to James about getting one for the office, any suggestions, I'd rather avoid one of the big enterprise models.

Cheers,
Chris

M Leo

« Reply #5 on: 13 Feb 2015, 10:29 am »
Chris,
The Synology 411S has served me well for about three years in conjunction with the BDP - 2.
In Brisbane we experience electrical storms over the summer months so I make a practice of shutting the NAS down at night, so I cannot comment on its sleep mode, but it is a cost effective compact device that works well with the BDP, it takes 4 laptop size drives and I believe it has the same features as the larger  synology units but in a much smaller package.

Mike

Samurai7595

« Reply #6 on: 13 Feb 2015, 02:28 pm »
Nothing immediate comes to mind, if it was the BDP it would likey be something to do with CIFS keeping it awake.  The BDP doesn't grab any data off the source (NAS) unless it's updating or playing music.  Niether my linux box at home(used as a NAS) or the mybook live or wdmycloud(recently replaced the mybook live) are prevented from sleeping.  Each morning I fire up some tunes I'm always waiting for the hard drives to spin up, at the office it's mind of reassuring because I'm sitting right beside the NAS I here the drive come alive as soon as I hit that play button and then 5-10 seconds later I get my tunes.

But I digress back to, nothing I can think of, although synology has been coming up so often that recentl I have started to think we should get one in to test with regularly like the western digital stuff.  I'll talk to James about getting one for the office, any suggestions, I'd rather avoid one of the big enterprise models.

Cheers,
Chris

Have a look at the Synology DiskStation DS414, very nice unit!

https://www.synology.com/en-global/products/DS414

Rod_S

« Reply #7 on: 14 Feb 2015, 02:50 pm »
I'm using the DS415play with a Western Digital 6TB Red drive. The unit holds 4 drives so I'll be adding 3 additional 6 TB Reds.

I guess the issue you may have with Synology is that there are so many products. Perhaps the common theme for them all is their OS so it might not be to important which model you get as they should all be running the same OS (I think).

Marius

« Reply #8 on: 14 Feb 2015, 05:10 pm »
Ok thanks Chris, everyone 

Ive got one of the 5 bay types, each filled with a 4 tb drive . Ive been browsing the Sinology fora and the sleep/hybernate issue seems quite common... Thanks anyway, ill try to fiddle with the synology settings a bit more.

Maybe some of the fellow-posters here have suggestions for me in that direction?

Appreciated!

Marius

Cheers,
Chris

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: 14 Feb 2015, 05:56 pm »
HI Chris,

Cheers,
Marius
Below are the settings that I use on my 1813+ and it works as it should.  I would suggest to "reset" the page, reboot and set them again and then reboot again.  That should do it.   Also make sure you're on the latest software too.  This is very important. 

Marius

« Reply #10 on: 14 Feb 2015, 10:19 pm »
HI Thanks!

looks almost the same overhere:

missing the enable deep sleep though, will try to find out about that.

Did find a log entry: CIFS client [admin] accessed shared folder mp3

investigating further....

Marius

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 14 Feb 2015, 10:25 pm »
HI Thanks!

missing the enable deep sleep though, will try to find out about that.

Marius
That's for my DX513 expansion unit. 

Marius

« Reply #12 on: 14 Feb 2015, 10:39 pm »
i see, i don't have one yet. thanks for pointing out!

That's for my DX513 expansion unit.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: 14 Feb 2015, 10:40 pm »
i see, i don't have one yet. thanks for pointing out!
Have you done what I suggested above?

Marius

« Reply #14 on: 15 Feb 2015, 08:10 am »
think so yes, but will do once more.
on your NAS, does the fan stop also? I was just thinking maybe im hearing the fan, and not the drives.

another possible culprit might be the Apple Timecapsule I've connected to one of the lan-ports. Will take that out also.

Marius

Have you done what I suggested above?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #15 on: 15 Feb 2015, 12:37 pm »
Here is my fan setting.  You can tell if the drives are running or not by the LED for each drive.  If it's lit the drive is spinning. 

ttsto

« Reply #16 on: 2 Dec 2016, 01:06 pm »
Hi Marius
Quite curious, did you solved this issue?
I realized this days that also disk drives from my QNAP NAS will not spin down if my BDP1 player is on
Usually I keep it off when I do not listen to music, in this case NAS goes to sleep, but if player is on, even if not playing music for long time, the NAS stays awake
Thanks!