Felix project

Speedskater

• Kevin
Re: Felix project
« Reply #420 on: 8 Feb 2012, 03:24 pm »
To make the loop smaller, all possible current paths should be:

a] Close together, to make the loop area smaller.
b] As short as practicable.
c] As low impedance as practicable.

The choke increases the impedance and the higher the noise frequency the higher the impedance.

rdsu

« Reply #421 on: 8 Feb 2012, 07:44 pm »
To make the loop smaller, all possible current paths should be:

a] Close together, to make the loop area smaller.
b] As short as practicable.
c] As low impedance as practicable.

The choke increases the impedance and the higher the noise frequency the higher the impedance.
This choke doesn't do the same as those which have been suggested for Felix?
This one was made specifically to ground so I thought it should be good as the others...

Did you checked the specifications?
http://www.schurter.ch/pdf/english/typ_DENO.pdf
www.elektronik.ropla.eu/pdf/stock/tim/de_deh_den_deno.pdf

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #422 on: 8 Feb 2012, 09:48 pm »
While both linked pages do make the claim:

This type of chokes permits the building of a system free of ground
wire loops.

No further information is provided on how this could be possible.

rdsu

« Reply #423 on: 9 Feb 2012, 11:51 am »
While both linked pages do make the claim:

This type of chokes permits the building of a system free of ground
wire loops.

No further information is provided on how this could be possible.
It seems that is like other chokes, by removing high frequency noise.
This one above 5MHz.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #424 on: 9 Feb 2012, 02:28 pm »
Without question they filter high frequency noise, after all they are chokes.  But a ground loop is about multiple paths that the noise current can flow in.

rxetera

« Reply #425 on: 30 May 2012, 08:34 pm »
The original schematic only mentioned a 2.5amp fuse, but I'm assuming that it should be sized based on the amp rating of the inductor.  Can someone provide some guidance as to matching a fuse to the inductor chosen for this application?

Also some fuse part numbers would be of great help.  Thanks!

rdsu

« Reply #426 on: 9 May 2013, 07:59 pm »
Hi,

I just wanted to thank you about your help on Felix, especially Paul (Occam)... ;)

Only last March I finished my Power Conditioner, based on Felix and some others....

Here is the result:

Basically is:
- modushop.biz Slim Line 2U Rack Silver
- Sources/Analog use two Coilcrafts P3717-AL, and Amplifier one Coilcraft CMT4-10-15L.
- Between the outlets and chokes I used the same philosophy as Audience. 0,1uF for digital sources, 0,22uF for analog sources and 0,56uF for amplifiers. The capacitors are Jantzen Superior Z-Cap and Mundorf MCap SUPREME Silver.Oil, all 1200VDC.
- Between chokes the capacitors filter +/- 1.4MHz (Vishay F1778 1uF), 7MHz (WIMA MP3 X2 0,047uF) and 23MHz (Vishay F1778 0,01uF).
- Schurter DENO 16A earth choke, and Kemet PHE850 0,0047uF for L > E and N > E.
- An extra Kemet PHE844 0,47uF, for extra filtration (before chokes), and to help on power factor.
- Bleed Resistor: KOA Speer MOS 100kOhm 5W
- A similar Bryston DC Blocker, Panasonic Aluminum Electrolytic 33.000uF 16V, Vishay Bridge Rectifiers 35A 1KV
- Over Current protection: Carling Tech Hydraulic/Magnetic Circuit Breaker 15A
- Surge protection: Hybrid MOV/GDT design - two (Littelfuse TMOV20RP275E + Bourns 2027-35-BLF) in series (L > N and N > L)
- Cooper bar of 80A
- Alpha Wire - EcoWire cable of 12AWG for sources and 9AWG for amplifier.
- Neutrik powerCON 20A, and 6x Socket SCHUKO MONACOR
- Flatfeet Ultra to isolate and prevent vibrations.

Regards  :thumb:

Edit:
2014.08.30:
 - Changed Amplifier choke from JW Miller 8118-RC to Coilcraft CMT4-10-15L.
 - Changed Surge Protection
« Last Edit: 14 Sep 2014, 08:22 pm by rdsu »

kyrill

« Reply #427 on: 9 May 2013, 09:01 pm »
Wow congratulations, looks like a high end professional job:)   :thumb:
advise: experiment with the very affordable WA-Quantum chips

some cmc coils look in series ?

rdsu

« Reply #428 on: 9 May 2013, 11:39 pm »
Wow congratulations, looks like a high end professional job:)   :thumb:
Thanks! ;)

advise: experiment with the very affordable WA-Quantum chips
Will have a look.
What chips do you use?

some cmc coils look in series ?
All in parallel. I think is the Coilcraft Third Order Filter design.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=25757.msg893971#msg893971
http://www.coilcraft.com/pdfs/doc191_CMFiltDesign.pdf

kyrill

« Reply #429 on: 10 May 2013, 08:02 am »
hi rdsu

on the photo I see clearly two coilcrafts on one white board  belonging to a construction for one outlet, so it looks like to me. 10 coils for 5 outlets. You mean that per outlet you have two coils in parallel?

rdsu

« Reply #430 on: 10 May 2013, 09:40 am »
hi rdsu

on the photo I see clearly two coilcrafts on one white board  belonging to a construction for one outlet, so it looks like to me. 10 coils for 5 outlets. You mean that per outlet you have two coils in parallel?

Yes, two coils per outlet for sources/analog...

Line      -----       ----        ----        ----        ----         
                   CMC     Caps     CMC      Caps     Outlet
Neutral -----       ----        ----        ----        ----         

Maybe is more correct to say that coils are in series?

kyrill

« Reply #431 on: 10 May 2013, 09:52 am »
yes they are, nor harm for preamps, source materials and so on. I see ypu have one  power amp outlet, why not two ( for future mono amps? :)

WA quantum fuse chips and power chips  have favourable reviews, There are also coil/transformer chips :)
I use them and kept them :)

rdsu

« Reply #432 on: 10 May 2013, 10:08 am »
yes they are, nor harm for preamps, source materials and so on. I see ypu have one  power amp outlet, why not two ( for future mono amps? :)
Because I'm not seeing to buy them on next years, or will buy with RFI/EMI filtration build in... :)
If I buy something else will be better speakers for now...

I use one outlet to connect my plasma and tv receiver...

rdsu

« Reply #433 on: 24 Jul 2014, 07:37 pm »
Hi,

I would like to make a question about two chokes.

They are
  • JW Miller 8118-RC Common Mode Choke (7.3mH, 9.3A, 32mOhm DCR, common mode attenuation should be 300kHz, 50Ohm, 50db)
  • Coilcraft Q4018-AL Common and Differential Mode Choke (1.5mH, 35uH, 10A, 20mOhm DCR, common mode attenuation 100kHz, 50Ohm, 50db)

My AC is 230V/16A, and I want to use it in a Amplifier.

This Coilcraft choke isn't better then this JW Miller choke?
It has less mH, but it is also differential choke, has less DC Resistance, allow more Current and lower frequency attenuation...

Thanks for your help!

Occam

« Reply #434 on: 24 Jul 2014, 08:07 pm »
Every common mode choke is also a differential choke to a greater or lesser degree.  A CMC's differential inductance is basically its leakage inductance, which for the JW Miller 8118 is about 30 uH.

rdsu

« Reply #435 on: 24 Jul 2014, 08:24 pm »
Every common mode choke is also a differential choke to a greater or lesser degree.  A CMC's differential inductance is basically its leakage inductance, which for the JW Miller 8118 is about 30 uH.
But at the end what matters, for this application, isn't the common mode attenuation, without limit current to avoid dynamic constraints?

The differences between them shouldn't be noticed...

Folsom

« Reply #436 on: 24 Jul 2014, 10:50 pm »
I don't know your intended amperage use, but I do highly suggest going 2x as high as you max on your usage with whatever CMC you use.

I'm a fan of the coilcraft when it fits. But I've also seen what they're like with half a decade on them, and trust me it's not advisable to have them operating at or too near their amperage cap. They can melt, it's possible. I haven't seen any failures, but there's evidence that on a long enough time line it could happen. Obviously a fuse is a commendable safety addition. But the counter intuitive thought is, do I go with an audiophile (expensive) fuse, or one that may provide current resistance similar to or much worse than a CMC itself?  :scratch:  I suppose no one can listen to music in a location that's been reduced to a cinder.

Also when going "oversized" (appropriate) they don't seem to provide the slightest constraint. The calculated current constraint isn't anywhere near peak operating use at 60hz when going 2x amperage with a CMC. 

rdsu

« Reply #437 on: 25 Jul 2014, 12:59 am »
Thanks for your advices... ;)

When I can, I will get the Coilcraft CMT4-10-15L, and then everything can run on it...

Folsom

« Reply #438 on: 25 Jul 2014, 06:11 am »
Very nice replacement for Q4018 and the CMT4-17-9L isn't too shabby compared to the Q4007.

rdsu

« Reply #439 on: 25 Jul 2014, 08:34 am »
I have the JW Miller 8118-RC, as you can see in the above pictures, so it will be easy to replace for a CMT4-10-15...

This Coilcraft CMT are excellent, and I only discovered them after saw a post from Occam... Thanks Paul! ;)