Rolling 6sn7 tubes in Modwright Oppo 105...

ajayrav

Rolling 6sn7 tubes in Modwright Oppo 105...
« on: 13 Dec 2013, 09:26 pm »
Hello folks,

Just wondering what tubes I should upgrade to from the EH 6sn7s supplied.  I upgraded the rectifier in the PS to a Gold Lion one.  I like the way the EHs sound in my rig; however I would like a tad bit more air and more 3D of a soundstage.  I'm not sure I like the way the Sophia Electric 6sn7s sound, though others swear by it.  Goes to show how much room acoustics and personal preferences play.  I love the 3D and space, but the bass is a little fatiguing in my setup with the Sophias.  My amp is a Primaluna Dialogue One with Mazda Cifte 12au7s and Winged SED EL34s.

Any suggestions for 6sn7s are welcome....

Thanks,
Ajay

dminches

Re: Rolling 6sn7 tubes in Modwright Oppo 105...
« Reply #1 on: 13 Dec 2013, 09:35 pm »
Get a nice pair of NOS Tung Sol or Sylvania 6SN7s.

rbbert

« Reply #2 on: 13 Dec 2013, 10:46 pm »
Get a nice pair of NOS Tung Sol or Sylvania 6SN7s.
I don't know about the Tung Sols, but the Sylvanias and many other NOS 6SN7's will be slightly (or more) microphonic compared to the EH or Sophias.  They will almost surely sound better than the EH, though.

MarkR7

« Reply #3 on: 13 Dec 2013, 10:49 pm »
I keep going back and forth with my recently acquired (and still needing burn-in) Sophia 6SN7s, and a pair of RCA gray glass 6SN7GTs (or VT-231s).  It seems that I always go back to one of the pairs of grey RCAs after trying other 6SN7 tubes.  The RCAs are an extremely nice synergistic match with the Genalex Gold Lion GZ34 rectifier.  This combo may not give you the ultimate extension on top, but the soundstage is huge and more holographic, and the mids are fantastic.

I don't like the Sophias with the Gold Lion rectifier.  Much too aggressive, a little harsher, and a smaller soundstage, imo.  To me, the Sophias sound much better with an old Sylvania 5U4G rectifier.

BTW, this is with a Modwright Oppo-95, not a 105, but I think it's still a valid observation.  I am still playing with different combinations of the 6SN7s and rectifiers, but I will report back on what really sings in my system.  I have a Philips 54RGYS, as well as an RCA 5R4GY, both rectifiers, coming soon to play with. :duh:

dminches

« Reply #4 on: 13 Dec 2013, 11:07 pm »
Mark, your impressions are what I would have expected. The RCA VT231s grey glass are really nice tubes.

RB, I have rarely had microphonic issues with 6SN7s, especially TS or Sylvania.

ajayrav

« Reply #5 on: 14 Dec 2013, 12:40 am »

I don't like the Sophias with the Gold Lion rectifier.  Much too aggressive, a little harsher, and a smaller soundstage, imo.  To me, the Sophias sound much better with an old Sylvania 5U4G rectifier.

Yup, that is what I'm getting... aggressive and harsh, though I like the spaciousness and the 3D imaging....  The RCA gray glass 6sn7 tubes are on the expensive side, though.... But I guess so are the Sophias!

Thanks,
Ajay

rbbert

« Reply #6 on: 14 Dec 2013, 12:46 am »
My Sylvanias are defintely microphonic, although I doubt it affects their sound in any way.  Both audiotubes.com and tubeworld.com say that is a characteristic of the VT-231's and most 6SN7GT/A/B's, to one degree or another.  Maybe not your Tungsols, maybe not the Sylvania 6SN7W's, but probably anything less expensive, and (FWIW) not with newer tubes like the EH's or Sophias, although the sonic trade-offs involved may make the issue moot.

rbbert

« Reply #7 on: 14 Dec 2013, 12:54 am »
...The RCA gray glass 6sn7 tubes are on the expensive side, though.... But I guess so are the Sophias!

Thanks,
Ajay
The RCA grayglass are said by tubeworld to be slightly microphonic, but are relatively inexpensive for premium 6SN7's (~$100/pr), compared to $250-500/pr for the tubes David is recommending.

I'm going to be trying the Sophias with a Mullard GZ34 rectifier next, currently using Sylvania "Bad Boys" with that Mullard, certainly not "forward" or "harsh", more "airy" with what I would consider an average soundstage.  Good bass with this combination!

Which Gold Lion rectifier are you using?  I'm a relative tyro, and the only Gold Lion I find easily is the superexpensive 5U4G?

dminches

« Reply #8 on: 14 Dec 2013, 01:25 am »
The RCA grayglass are said by tubeworld to be slightly microphonic, but are relatively inexpensive for premium 6SN7's (~$100/pr), compared to $250-500/pr for the tubes David is recommending.

I was actually recommending 6SN7WGTs which are $100-$125 per pair.

MarkR7

« Reply #9 on: 14 Dec 2013, 05:05 pm »
I have two pairs of the RCA gray glass VT-231s, and one pair of the RCA gray glass 6SN7GT.  The VT-231 pairs are indeed a bit microphonic.  The GT pair is not, and are dead silent!  I honestly could not tell of any sonic differences between the two, and yes, the GTs are cheaper than the VT-231s.  The GTs are on my Oppo-95 now. Glorious!

I am using the Genalex Gold Lion GZ34, which I got off of Ebay for $40 from "tubemazestore".  It's really a very nice rectifier though its current production (What?? Not NOS?? Sacrilege! :duh:).  Great match for the RCAs above.

I have tried and wanted to like the Mullard GZ34 (I own the F31 date code) based on its reputation.  I could never warm up to it.  It always ends up back in its box.

I will eventually try a pair of short bottle Sylvania 6SN7W chrome tops on the Oppo, but with the RCAs in there now, I really am in no hurry!

Currently listening to the Acoustic Blues channel on Pandora thru the Oppo.  Damn, it sounds good!  :thumb:

I'm going to be trying the Sophias with a Mullard GZ34 rectifier next, currently using Sylvania "Bad Boys" with that Mullard, certainly not "forward" or "harsh", more "airy" with what I would consider an average soundstage.  Good bass with this combination!

Which Gold Lion rectifier are you using?  I'm a relative tyro, and the only Gold Lion I find easily is the superexpensive 5U4G?
« Last Edit: 14 Dec 2013, 06:36 pm by MarkR7 »

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #10 on: 14 Dec 2013, 06:31 pm »
I haven't run into a bad 6SN7 and I have lots of them, including some super cheap stuff that sounds great. The "premium" old stock tubes do sounds really good, noticeably better than the dirt cheap stuff, but not a night and day difference either.

For big bucks I'd take the Soviet 1578 or RCA 5692. On the cheap my favorites are various Sylvania GTAs, I have both tall and short bottles, both are good. Also the newer coin-based GE GTBs were very good too.

ajayrav

« Reply #11 on: 14 Dec 2013, 07:22 pm »

The Gold Lion Genalex GZ34s.....

Cheers,
Ajay

Wig

« Reply #12 on: 14 Dec 2013, 09:37 pm »
The Gold Lion Genalux GZ34 has the magic of the Mullards and the dynamics of the Create and it's much cheaper...

Wig

rbbert

« Reply #13 on: 14 Dec 2013, 11:03 pm »
PSVANE are often mentioned as sounding good for new tubes.  I notice that thetubestore has the same (I think)  Shuguang Treasure CV-181Z for somewhat less money.  Does anyone here know if there is any difference other than price?

Freo-1

« Reply #14 on: 14 Dec 2013, 11:06 pm »
The "best" rectifier tube I've found for the tubed Oppo is the Sylvaina 5931, which is a MIL SPEC 5U4.  Built like a tank, and dead quiet.  The P/S needs a cut out hole to employ this tube.

dminches

« Reply #15 on: 14 Dec 2013, 11:51 pm »
RB, compared to other NOS tubes, I found the Shuguangs to be overpriced and not as good sounding.  My favorite rectifier is the 596.

rbbert

« Reply #16 on: 15 Dec 2013, 12:15 am »
RB, compared to other NOS tubes, I found the Shuguangs to be overpriced and not as good sounding.  My favorite rectifier is the 596.
?

dminches

« Reply #17 on: 15 Dec 2013, 12:31 am »

Freo-1

« Reply #18 on: 15 Dec 2013, 12:51 am »
Here is a picture of the 5931 tube:

rbbert

« Reply #19 on: 15 Dec 2013, 01:06 am »

Is that an adaptor or an integral part of the tube?