The Sony HAP-Z1ES Setup Advice/Troubleshooting Thread.

DEP14

Re: The Sony HAP-Z1ES Setup Advice/Troubleshooting Thread.
« Reply #20 on: 2 Jul 2015, 12:10 pm »
Dunno. I've had a similar problem through my tablet--error 30200.  I've never had an issue before, so I believe it has to do with the firmware update to the machine and a new version of HDD Remote on 6/30/15. Late last night I went to the gracenote website on my tablet and computer and clicked on the link that tells you if you are connected. I was.  I also rebooted the HAP and reloaded HDD Remote. Afterward it found one album that did not have the correct artwork, so that it a positive step, but I am not sure if the issue is completely fixed. Fingers crossed, I'll know more tonight.

Come to think of it, I believe it quit working for me also after the firmware and HDD remote software updates.  So, sounds like it may have to do with that. I sure wish there was an easy way to contact Sony ES tech support!

I'll try to re-load the software on my tablet again and see if that helps.

gbeard

• Contributing writer--Positive Feedback
« Reply #21 on: 2 Jul 2015, 05:05 pm »
That's interesting.

Btw, my first note should have said that I found one album without the correct artwork and clicked on "get info" (or whatever that option is called) and it found the right artwork...I was in a hurry this morning... :duh:

DEP14

« Reply #22 on: 13 Jul 2015, 02:04 am »
Well, mine still wont "get music info"  I've re-installed the app a bunch of times.  Everytime I start the machine up it's "syncing to the database".  After that seemingly times out I try to sync to the database and it won't work.

I've tried contacting sony support, but that is an exercise in futility.  If ANYONE has a way to get a hold of Sony ES support that would be great.  I've tried calling and e-mailing and the basic customer support is useless.

gbeard

« Reply #23 on: 13 Jul 2015, 11:50 am »
DEP14,

I am unhappy to report that I am having the same issue. I decided to rescan my database and its been syncing for days now. It won't even let me try to update any info via the remote app, as the tracks are still registering. My gut tells me something is broken in the latest firmware. I am not sure if there is a roll back feature, but I have not seen one.  Nor am I sure if you wipe it out back to the default settings, if it returns to the original firmware. 

I guess at this point I will wait until the tracks have finished registering and hope all is well. If that does not work, I am not sure what to do. Unfortunately, I do not have Sony's ear. I believe there may be someone on this forum who does, so perhaps someone can contact Sony to inquire. 

gb
« Last Edit: 13 Jul 2015, 12:51 pm by gbeard »

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #24 on: 13 Jul 2015, 03:06 pm »
Wow, this makes me a little scared to transfer some new music onto the HAP right now. I hope we get a solution here soon!

gbeard

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #26 on: 13 Jul 2015, 06:42 pm »
Ok, so don't transfer music onto the HAP until the next firmware update which should be here as soon as Sony engineers figure out how to fix it.

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #27 on: 13 Jul 2015, 07:48 pm »
Sony has to patch things up with Grace Note from what I gather.... Once that happens, then we'll have new firmware. Hope this doesn't take forever and a day!

DEP14

« Reply #28 on: 15 Jul 2015, 02:45 am »
Just glad I'm not crazy... has to be a firmware issue.  I just hope we can get feedback to them.  Very difficult to contact Sony support with any meaningful feedback.

gbeard

« Reply #29 on: 17 Jul 2015, 02:23 am »
You are not crazy, I just wish you were wrong!

Come on Sony, get this fixed!!

Mike37

« Reply #30 on: 17 Jul 2015, 08:04 am »
This is the story from the Gracenote point of view:

Hi Mike,   

We have researched this issue with our Sony counterparts and have found the problem is on the Sony side.

Our understanding is Sony is currently working to fix the problem.  Please write to Sony, the company that built your device for support.

https://esupport.sony.com/

I hope that there is a quick resolution to this issue.

Sincerely,   

Sonia
Gracenote Support
Gracenote, Inc.

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #31 on: 17 Jul 2015, 02:33 pm »
I also noticed some of the naturalness is gone from the Sony after the firmware upgrade. I just moved to a new place, and was doing allot of listening before the firmware could be updated (waiting on internet install). After I got the internet, I updated the firmware, and it was not the same. Anybody else notice this?? It was pretty obvious to me.... I wish they offered a rollback!!  Matter of fact... At the very least, I don't see why they wouldn't push the previous firmware until the issue is resolved. It sounded glorious!! Sony sure needs to get with it.

Welcome to the Circle Mike, and thank you for the update!

gbeard

« Reply #32 on: 23 Jul 2015, 01:24 am »
http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=hirez&m=286396

Hoping that things are back to normal.  :) :scratch:

Mike37

« Reply #33 on: 23 Jul 2015, 07:56 am »
Many thanks for this. All looking good here (UK) too! Have not yet tried loading new files, but all other functions operating normally. Let's hope any new updates are less troublesome !

DEP14

« Reply #34 on: 26 Jul 2015, 06:47 pm »
Mine is seemingly back to normal again, so that's good.

finsup

« Reply #35 on: 18 Nov 2017, 05:19 pm »
I have a HAP-Z1ES where the installed software is quite old. The HAP-Z1ES software version on the machine now is 0015261R. The current firmware upgrade (version 18120R) provides improvements over version 18033R so I am not sure how many prior firmware upgrades there have been.

What is the best practice to bring this machine to a current software state? Do I just install 18120R or would it be advisable to progressively upgrade the machine through prior upgrades....assuming I can even find a link to these prior upgrades?

finsup

« Reply #36 on: 20 Nov 2017, 10:39 pm »
I was hoping to get an answer to the above.  I am guessing it will be OK to just upload the current firmware.  I just finished ripping CDs for the first time ever to my PC. I used dBpoweramp as the CD ripper based on a recommendation. Tomorrow, I will start the file transfer process.

Reading through one of the manuals, it says the first preparation step is to connect to an amp and the second prep step is to connect to a network with a LAN cable and then proceed to configuring the HAP and the Network settings. The problem for me here is the amp is in another room than my computer and modem. I'd like to do the configuration and file transfer first before carrying the HAP over and connecting to the main system. Should the HAP be connected to an amp before turning it on?

Remembering that I am just emerging from the dark ages when it comes to networked music and streaming, the CDs I have ripped have, for the most part, been Christmas music. I hope to have this done by Thanksgiving Day which is traditionally the start for the Season for me.

The dBpoweramp ripper created a file structure Music > Artist folder > Album Name folder. I have 18.9GB with about 1,173 files, and 182 total folders planned for the initial transfer. I've never had to think about meta-data and tagging before. Is this file structure OK?

One folder is named Various Artists, being compilation CDs. That folder has 9 different albums, including one two-disc set which itself is in two separate folders. How do you handle compilation CDs in general, and specifically when using the Hap's smartphone app? Should I break out the single Various Artists folders into separate folders first?

Thanks...