New Daedalus/Bolder Speaker Cables

vinyl_lady

New Daedalus/Bolder Speaker Cables
« on: 17 Jul 2011, 04:53 am »
I have upgraded every part of my system beginning in 2005, except the speaker cables. I have a long run, 24 ft, to reach the left speaker (along the side wall & front wall) (all equipment is on the side wall). In 2004, I replaced 1980's Kimber's black & gray with Synergistic Research's Alpha Quad with active shielding. The Synergistic Research have served me well, but had become the weak link in my system. I have been talking to Lou about various options for about 2 years. Lou told me he was working with Wayne at Bolder Cable on a Daedalus cable that would be a perfect match for his speakers. Knowing the quality of Lou's and Wayne's work, I told Lou to let me know when he and Wayne were satiusfied with the new cable.

Finding a 25 ft pair to audition in my home was impossible and I did not want to go through the hassle of moving the source equipment so I could accomodate 8 ft to 10 ft cables just to compare cables. I talked to Lou and we scheduled a time where I could drive over, bring my cables and compare them to the Daedalus cables. That happened on July 2.

Since Lou and I use a ModWright KWA 150 amp and the Gill Audio pre amp, I was confident that his system was more than revealing enough to hear a difference in speaker cables if it was there. I didn't want the Daedalus cables to make a discernable difference, but they did and it was immediately noticeable. The track we used to compare cables was Songbird from Fleetwood Mac's Rumours album (we also used some Paul Simon and Robbie Robertson tracks). Within the first 30 seconds or so I turned to Lou and commented that there was an immediate improvement in clarity and detail with an over all "fuller" musical presentation. The piano notes were more crisp and natural sounding. Christine's vocal was striking. Bass was solid. It was as though another "veil" had been lifted. When we put my Alpha Quad's back in the music sounded "dull" compared to the Daedalus cables. I was definitely hearing more music with greater detail, clarity and fullness with the Daedalus cables compared to my old cables. The improvement was significant enough that I ordered a pair. :thumb:

The Daedalus is an excellent cable and a perfect match for any Daedalus speaker (we listened to the Ulysses and Athena).

Laura

« Last Edit: 17 Jul 2011, 03:30 pm by vinyl_lady »

dodgealum

Re: New Daedalus/Bolder Speaker Cables
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jul 2011, 03:16 pm »
I also recently had the chance to audition Lou's speaker cables--once in my own system and twice at a friend's who has a pair of Ulysses. Lou's cables sound a lot like his speakers--resolving yet non-fatiguing, accurate yet organic and musical. We heard excellent tonality, separation among musical lines, spaciousness and detail. Mostly what we heard was extraordinarily beautiful music making which was less evident when we swapped in a variety of different cables that were part of the audition. The Daedalus/Bolder cables just get out of the way and let the music come through in a way that is so compelling. Nice job Lou and thanks for arranging the audition!

jazdoc

« Reply #2 on: 1 Aug 2011, 06:01 pm »
Just finished my in home audition of the new speaker cables and echo what Laura said.  It simply builds on the Daedalus strengths with more quality/articulation of lower frequencies, more imaging solidity and ease to the musical flow. 

The sound is really addictive, so much so that my spouse was wondering how they could make such a difference.  Don't audition unless your ready to buy  :D

Berto

« Reply #3 on: 12 Aug 2011, 12:06 am »
Listening as I write, and I think my fellow Daedalus owners are spot on IRT to the improved SQ. The soundstage literally engulfs the listener. That and the immediacy of the Music contribute to a more lifelike concert experience. It pulls off one hell of a balancing act between being so detailed and so easy to listen too. Luv the improved bass weight, reminds me of how my old speaks sounded when i added a sub :o

There greatest quality IMO (as well as my most important objective) is how musical they make Lou's speakers sound.

I guess you can say I like them :thumb:

misterclean

« Reply #4 on: 12 Aug 2011, 06:05 pm »

Is there a link or a place to go to learn more about these cables, including pricing?

Thanks for the comments. Very interesting reading indeed.

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 14 Aug 2011, 06:33 pm »
Is there a link or a place to go to learn more about these cables, including pricing?

Thanks for the comments. Very interesting reading indeed.
sorry for not having info up. will get a page on the DaedalusAudio site with pics up next week. the pricing changes with the costs of materials since we are trying to keep the margins low on these cables.  right now the cost is $1500 for an 8 ft pair.
thanks,
lou

misterclean

« Reply #6 on: 15 Aug 2011, 03:55 pm »

Thanks, Lou. I'll keep an eye on the web site and see if an audition might be possible sometime in the fall.

Keep up the good work!

Wayne1

« Reply #7 on: 18 Aug 2011, 10:30 pm »

Here is a quick snap of the Daedalus/BOLDER speaker cable.

Not much to look at, but it's what it sounds like in your system that matters.  :wink:

Berto

« Reply #8 on: 19 Aug 2011, 12:48 am »
Congrats on these Wayne and Lou, really takes the rig to notha level. Just gave them up for a few days and the difference is astonishing. I thought my system sounded really good already, but now I know what it can really do. :thumb:

Wayne1

« Reply #9 on: 19 Aug 2011, 02:44 pm »
Thank you, Berto.

If any of you are coming to RMAF, The Daedalus SE cables will be used in room 1030. I also believe they will be used with a pair of Athena speakers used by another vendor.

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 19 Aug 2011, 04:23 pm »
thank you all!  it looks like Dan  will be using them in the Modwright room 1010 with a pair of Athena.
 these are very neutral cables and work well with my speakers... they should since they are based on the internal wiring system that I have developed with Wayne. that said I don't know how they would be with other systems that may lean to bright or warm.

thanks again for the positive feedback!

lou

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 19 Aug 2011, 07:17 pm »
these are very neutral cables and work well with my speakers... they should since they are based on the internal wiring system that I have developed with Wayne.
lou

You no longer us DH an listed here?  http://silversonic.com/docs/partners.html

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 19 Aug 2011, 07:26 pm »
You no longer us DH an listed here?  http://silversonic.com/docs/partners.html
we use the DH Labs wire for our pro cabinets but have not used DH wire in our home audio speakers for several years.

thanks,
lou

jriggy

« Reply #13 on: 22 Aug 2011, 09:29 pm »
And thanks to Birto I am hearing this astonishing difference! Im sure the entirety of it will hit me once I remove them tonight to send back to him... Thank you SO MUCH Birto and Lou for arranging this at such a short notice.

Apart from what has been said here -- the control and order they put to the entire soundstage is impressive.

jazdoc

« Reply #14 on: 23 Aug 2011, 04:55 am »
Well I received my new Daedalus cables today and right out of the box they are a home run.  I'm sure things will only improve with break-in.  Well worth the cost.  Indeed, I would consider these an integral part of the Daedalus speaker system.  Highly recommended.  Kudos to Lou and Wayne!

vinyl_lady

« Reply #15 on: 2 Sep 2011, 03:55 am »
Mark, Mark and Berto,

Thanks for posting your impressions/review of the Daedalus/Bolder cables after your in home auditions. Since you got to spend some time listening with the cables in your systems, I am obviously pleased that your impressions are similar to mine and all of ours to each other. It seems like all of us heard similiar improvements in overall SQ where the music just naturally flows through the speakers. Paul McGowan (PS Audio) writes a blog and the other day he wrote about wire
Cables do make a difference in your system but they cannot add anything tonally. To add something to an audio signal we need to inject more than we started with.  With a passive (no added energy available) device like a cable there is simply no mechanism for adding anything not already present.  Think of this like the proverbial water hose.  The hose can only deliver what is fed into it and has no capability to add more.  In fact, all it can do is restrict the flow of what’s coming through – and that is the entire point.

Compared to my Synergistic Research cables the Daedalus/BOLDER Cables are like a fire hose compared to a garden hose--so much more music or as Berto said: how musical they sound. If this analogy sounds familiar it is because it is they way Lou described the effect of the all-poly cap crossover upgrade:
I think that this premise of simply "opening the flow" is the basic design criterion for the best audio builders. We are not trying to add anything to the recording just allowing it to come through.

Thanks for giving me an idea of what I am going to hear when I receive my new cables.

Laura

celticsfan1

« Reply #16 on: 6 Sep 2011, 12:50 pm »
Hi I am the first DA-RMa owner in Australia!!
Within 2 minutes of hearing these cables my mind was made up, absolute no brainer....

In fact I heard the Daedalus Bolder cables on my friend's high end system where he just purchased cables that have a MSRP of $10,000 for a 2-meter length. The Daedalus Bolder cables in my view would easily be at the level of his cables....

vinyl_lady

« Reply #17 on: 1 Oct 2011, 03:40 am »
Received my Daedalus/Bolder speaker cables this week. Installed them into the system this afternoon after listening to my old cables first. WOW! the music seemed to open up and there was a fuller presentation from top to bottom with incredible clarity and detail. Tighter lower end too. I've been listening to the 45 RPM Rumours and just amazed at what I am hearing. Also listening to Alan Parsons, Libby Titus, Carly Simon, the new Wilco and now Mark Knopfler & Emmylou Harris. There is a more "they're playing live in front of me" sensation. Great imaging and focus--very natural sounding too. I am really enjoying my system more than ever tonight.

As Mark said above,
right out of the box they are a home run.
Wire does make a difference. :thumb: IMO, they are a must for anyone with Daedalus speakers--great synergy. Congratulations Lou & Wayne, and thanks for designing and making these great speaker cables.

Laura

jriggy

« Reply #18 on: 1 Oct 2011, 02:24 pm »
Congrats on receiving your cables and your new enjoyment Laura! Hopefully mine are right around the corner.
When I borrowed Birto's pair for a weekend, it took them a day and a half to settle in to my system, but as you said, the improved imaging and focus was incredible... Looking forward to discovering all their benefits!

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: 1 Oct 2011, 04:06 pm by jriggy »

Big Red Machine

« Reply #19 on: 1 Oct 2011, 02:42 pm »
They look solid core like the ones I make.  Stranded or solid?