No FM for Norway

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
No FM for Norway
« on: 20 Apr 2015, 12:06 am »

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
Re: No FM for Norway
« Reply #1 on: 20 Apr 2015, 12:10 am »

Randy

« Reply #2 on: 20 Apr 2015, 01:04 am »
Digital over the air radio has never gotten anywhere in the states other than Sirius/XM, and it isn't all that successful. Or am I wrong?

dB Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 20 Apr 2015, 01:15 am »
SteveFord, I wouldn't count on it. There is a vast user base of FM sets though, especially in automobiles, so...

Guy 13

« Reply #4 on: 20 Apr 2015, 01:25 am »
Hi all,
I hope Canada (Montreal, Quebec) will drag their feet to convert to DAB,
I like the good old FM over the air broadcasting.
Yes, I am old fashion...

Guy 13

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #5 on: 20 Apr 2015, 05:21 am »
Digital over the air radio has never gotten anywhere in the states other than Sirius/XM, and it isn't all that successful. Or am I wrong?

It's everywhere.  Most FM stations here in St. Louis advertise for their sister digital stations.  It's inevitable . . . it will overtake FM.

AM is another story and will probably never go away.

Guy 13

« Reply #6 on: 20 Apr 2015, 07:51 am »
It's everywhere.  Most FM stations here in St. Louis advertise for their sister digital stations.  It's inevitable . . . it will overtake FM.

AM is another story and will probably never go away.

Hi Pete,
may I ask why you think that AM will probably never go away ???

Guy 13

dB Cooper

« Reply #7 on: 20 Apr 2015, 08:50 am »
Can the other thread be rolled in- and can people please take a moment to look and see if there is already a thread on a news item before starting another one?

Sad to say, Pete is probably correct. Now that nobody but a fringe contingent of "nuts" (ie, us) cares about sound quality, there is relatively little "constituency" for FM radio to continue in its present form, and lots of pressure to open up bandwidth for a variety of reasons. It will probably drag on for awhile due to the installed automotive user base (and the little transmitters sold for iPods etc suck badly), but if they can kill TV, they can kill FM radio. It took years, but they did it.

Enjoy those Marantz 10B's and Dyna FM3's while you can.

Wayner

« Reply #8 on: 20 Apr 2015, 11:51 am »
One would think that the market would dictate the demise of FM, rather then a bunch of bureaucratic boobs that over indulge on Lutefisk and Norwegian wine. I suppose they will be shutting down newspapers next.

'ner

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #9 on: 20 Apr 2015, 03:00 pm »
AM is amplitude modulation,  it doesn't work well. Like frequency modulation (FM).

After the sun sets, the changes in the atmosphere  (they go from four layers, to two layers.) That has an amazing effect on the AM transmissions.

dB Cooper

« Reply #10 on: 20 Apr 2015, 09:11 pm »
One would think that the market would dictate the demise of FM, rather then a bunch of bureaucratic boobs that over indulge on Lutefisk and Norwegian wine. I suppose they will be shutting down newspapers next.

'ner

It wasn't the market that drove the obsolescence of analog TV. It was bureaucratically decided due to pressure from entities that wanted the spectrum. Same thing could happen to FM. Bureaucratic boobs run the world.

Guy 13

« Reply #11 on: 20 Apr 2015, 11:21 pm »
Hi all,
if AM sound is so bad (Compared to FM),
why it will continue to survive ?
I read somewhere that the FM frenquencies
were needed by the American army ???

Guy 13

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #12 on: 21 Apr 2015, 05:01 am »
It seems Norway is shutting down five (yes, 5) FM radio stations. It costs 25 million dollars per year to keep these stations broadcasting an analog signal.

The County I live in has more than five analog FM stations, and they all turn a profit.

The sky is not falling.

Free Radio, in general and specifically, sucks, though.

Mikeinsacramento

« Reply #13 on: 21 Apr 2015, 06:51 am »
It seems Norway is shutting down five (yes, 5) FM radio stations. It costs 25 million dollars per year to keep these stations broadcasting an analog signal.

The County I live in has more than five analog FM stations, and they all turn a profit.

The sky is not falling.

Free Radio, in general and specifically, sucks, though.

No way it costs $25,000,000 USD to broadcast five FM signals.  Are you referring to a Norwegian currency that has much less value?

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #14 on: 21 Apr 2015, 07:50 am »
No way it costs $25,000,000 USD to broadcast five FM signals.  Are you referring to a Norwegian currency that has much less value?

Sorry; I should have been more specific.

Norway will save 200 Million Krone by changing the 5 analog FM stations to digital FM stations. You do the math.

:thumb:

Have fun,

Jerry