Speaker Recommendation:

DBC

Speaker Recommendation:
« on: 30 Jan 2015, 05:04 pm »
First time post although I have been coming here for a while and appreciate the experience everyone offers. I recognize a few here from the Decware forum. I have a Decware Super Zen and recently purchased a Peachtree 220se integrated that I have really been impressed with.

In any event I've been considering single driver for a while. For the last 12 years I've been using Klipsch RF-7's (102db) with my Super Zen and more recently with my Peachtree. I love the Klipsch but am interested in a second set of speakers just to change things up and single driver Omega's would be a completely different speaker implementation.

I listen primarily to Blues, Blues Rock, Classic Rock & Rock. So I like to crank it up once in a while. I use an Oppo BDP-105D connected via interconnects to my Peachtree 220se right now. Quite frankly the 220se does not sound Solid State at all on my Klipsch RF-7's, very detailed yet smooth and easy to listen to at higher volumes. I also have twin Hsu ULS-15 subs (crossed at 45hz and below) and twin Hsu Mid Bass Modules (crossed at 150hz to 50hz) connected via speaker level so I'm not lacking for a bottom end. My room is 16'x22' with vaulted ceiling and open concept into other rooms (a good size listening area). Currently speakers are 10 feet apart and about 10 feet from the listening position.

I was thinking about using my Mid Bass Modules as stands and placing Monitors on top of each Mid Bass Module using an Isolation Platform between the Monitor and Mid Bass Module. So the Mid Bass Modules shown in this photo would be placed where the Klipsch now are and the Monitors placed on top. Looks to me like the Super 7 Monitor MK2 would be the obvious choice? I would appreciate recommendations and or possible alternatives. Also interested to hear from anyone using Omegas in a larger listening space such as mine.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
Re: Speaker Recommendation:
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jan 2015, 06:25 pm »
Hello DBC,

Welcome to the Omega AudioCircle.  Looking at what you propose to do, the Super 7 Monitor MK2 would be a good choice, or if you do a floor standing arrangement like your Klipsch, the Super 7XRS MK2 would be a good way to go.

DBC

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2015, 09:48 pm »
Hi Rob,

Since I already have the Klipsch floor standers which I intend to keep, thought I might change things up and go with a Monitor for my second set of speakers. I get the impression from my research the Omega Monitors compared to floor standers tend to be a bit faster & tighter? If I'm wrong on this point please feel free to say so. I'm not opposed to another floor standing model if it means improved overall performance in the midrange and upper frequencies.

In your opinion should I consider the Super Alnico Monitor over the Super 7 Monitor MK2 (Pros & Cons of the two)? The added cost of the Alinco is not really an issue for me. I'm really looking for the best Speed, Dynamics & Transparency that Omega's have to offer while taking into consideration the type of music I listen to, my room and associated equipment.

I appreciate your reply

DBC

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jan 2015, 11:42 pm »
DBC,

Looking at your system, my first reaction would be to put some Super 7 Monitor MK2s on top of your HSU stack.  You would essentially end up with a set of OutLaws.  As far as speed goes, yes, monitors generally are faster than towers, but give away in the bass department.  Monitors generally image better due to their smaller point source and higher speed.

I run the Super Alnico Monitors on a Super Zen Select with V-Caps, stepped attenuator, and 4 ohm output transformers and it's incredible.  I feel no hankering for a sub.  They are Louis flagship for a reason and are in a class by themselves.  Tonally very even, rich, very textured, with very deep soundstage.  On the opposite end, the 3 series are electrostatic fast, very transparent, and have a very clear, sharply focused image.  The 7 series falls in between.  One thing, your HSU sub and mid need to be very fast to keep up with any Omega.  If they can, I still think the 7 Monitor MK2 would be my choice.

DBC

« Reply #4 on: 31 Jan 2015, 04:22 pm »
Rob,

Thanks again for your input. Your comment: "One thing, your HSU sub and mid need to be very fast to keep up with any Omega" is well taken. For the past 20 years I have had multiple high quality subs from Velodyne, SVS and others. None of these compare to the LIVE type Bass I have been able to achieve with the HSU ULS-15 Sub and Mid Bass Module. These Sub's and MBM's never call attention to themselves.

I run my Mans full range and use the Sub's and MBM's to augment the low end. The Mid Bass Modules have very light 12" drivers for speed and augment the 50hz - 150hz range. The 15" Subs are sealed and very tight running 50hz and below. No Bass Boom from this setup and my Peachtree 220se seems to really excel as far as detail on the lower frequencies compared to my Decware Super Zen. My Gut tells me the HSU would be a good match for the Omega's ???

With regard to Tower Speakers the website states:
THE XRS CONCEPT
XRS stands for Xtended Room Speaker. What is extended? The all important midrange, the width and depth of the soundstage, the bottom end, and the "hugeness" of the presentation from a very compact speaker (27"H Super 3XRS, 32"H Super 7XRS, and 35"H Alnico XRS).

I'm still not ruling out a tower as you suggested earlier, especially if "Midrange and Width & Depth of Soundstage" are better. Nice thing about my HSU Subs & MBM's is that I can dial them in to properly augment just about any loudspeaker in my room (more low end reinforcement for Monitors, less for Towers). With all the Omega speaker options available zeroing in on the single best option for me is not easy. Given the fact I have no space constraints (a dedicated listening room) and that finances are not influencing my final decision I will have to think about the Towers some more.

DBC

DBC

« Reply #5 on: 2 Feb 2015, 09:15 pm »
I finally Bit The Bullet today, called and talked to Louis and ordered a pair of the Super Alnico Monitors. I want to thank Rob for his direct input and everyone else that has posted useful information here on the Omega speaker line.

I will be sure to post my impressions after the speakers have had some break-in time.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 2 Feb 2015, 11:04 pm »
Hi DBC,

Congratulations!  You're in for a treat.

beowulf

« Reply #7 on: 3 Feb 2015, 02:15 am »
Hey DBC, glad you made it over.  It will be nice to see how you like the Single Driver setup.  I too have always been curious of the AlNiCo drivers.  Can't wait to hear your feedback on them and also pairing with the Hsu.

DBC

« Reply #8 on: 3 Feb 2015, 04:29 pm »
beowulf,

I've been looking at the Omega's for a couple years. Never pulled the trigger due to concern that my Super Zen would not have enough juice to drive them as loud as I like it at times.

In December I auditioned the Peachtree 220se integrated amp not really expecting much from it compared to my experience with Decware gear. Well I still have the Peachtree and it continues to impress on all types of music. I thought 220 watts would be a complete waste with my Klipsch RF-7's at 102db. The Peachtree has amazing speed and grip that is hard to describe. I've seen a few posts here where some are using the Crown Class D amp with similar results using Omega speakers.

So now that I have the Peachtree amp to drive the Omegas I took the plunge. I was also encouraged to hear others here have good things to say about driving the Omega's with higher powered Class D amps. Class D amplification seems to have really come a long way in recent years.

It will be at least a month before the Alnico's arrive. I will be sure to post listening impressions with the Peachtree & Super Zen after I get some hours on the new speakers.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #9 on: 3 Feb 2015, 07:13 pm »
DBC,

I, too, look forward to your impressions on the Alnico monitors. I've chatted with both Canada Bob and Louis and came to the conclusion that the Alnico monitors would be my choice should I decide to purchase Omega speakers. [Yeah. Still haven't decided.]

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 4 Feb 2015, 06:31 am »
DBC,

I, too, look forward to your impressions on the Alnico monitors. I've chatted with both Canada Bob and Louis and came to the conclusion that the Alnico monitors would be my choice should I decide to purchase Omega speakers. [Yeah. Still haven't decided.]
You'll just have to make the trip up here for a listen.  Come at blossom time (April May) and give your eyes a feast along with your ears. CR

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #11 on: 4 Feb 2015, 09:05 am »
Rob,

There is a strong possibility my wife and I will be in your neck of the woods (Jay's as well!) on or about the first week in May as part of a Spring tour of BC and western Washington. We're still working on the details. I have already made my wife aware part of the trip is for my audio education.  :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #12 on: 6 Feb 2015, 10:37 am »
I run Alnico full range drivers and have tried EL84 based amp - too anemic, EL34 based amp - bass too flabby, cheap but respected digital receiver (from 10 years ago) - OK but nothing exciting, a battery powered 7 wpc T-amp (amazingly satisfying), 40 watt chip based mono-blocks with beefy power supplies (ah, as you said DBC, the "commanding" grip was there), 100 watt Hypex based digital mono-blocks again with beefy power supplies were a touch better yet, and finally to a full 40 wpc tube integrated running EL34, KT66/77/88/120, and my favorite 6550 output tubes added palpability/wetness.

Non Omega brand names withheld.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #13 on: 6 Feb 2015, 12:44 pm »
FWIW I have used Decware and Grommes EL84 based amps with a couple of Hoyt-Bedford/Omega 8"s, and Omega Super 3s with excellent results.
« Last Edit: 14 Feb 2015, 09:36 pm by opnly bafld »

JLM

« Reply #14 on: 6 Feb 2015, 04:36 pm »
JLM you say over and over (ad nauseam) how more power grips the drivers and controls them; please explain how a 12 watt tube amp and a 15 watt tube amp produced considerably more and better bass than several higher power (100w+) ss amps when driving a dual 10" low impedance speaker?

FWIW I have used Decware and Grommes EL84 based amps with a couple of Hoyt-Bedford/Omega 8"s, and Omega Super 3s with excellent results.

Have you considered just passing over whatever posts might upset you?  Just sharing similar experiences with a new poster in an open forum.  Don't want to try to explain or debate.  Glad you're satisfied with the above combinations.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 6 Feb 2015, 04:58 pm »
I run Alnico full range drivers and have tried EL84 based amp - too anemic, EL34 based amp - bass too flabby, cheap but respected digital receiver (from 10 years ago) - OK but nothing exciting, a battery powered 7 wpc T-amp (amazingly satisfying), 40 watt chip based mono-blocks with beefy power supplies (ah, as you said DBC, the "commanding" grip was there), 100 watt Hypex based digital mono-blocks again with beefy power supplies were a touch better yet, and finally to a full 40 wpc tube integrated running EL34, KT66/77/88/120, and my favorite 6550 output tubes added palpability/wetness.

Check this out.  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=121461.0

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #16 on: 6 Feb 2015, 05:10 pm »

I've heard good and not-so-good amps of every possible design from tube to class D, I believe any kind of amp can work well, it's up to the designer's implementation.

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #17 on: 6 Feb 2015, 09:30 pm »

I don't think it is necessary to withhold names of other manufacturers unless they are competing, ie, speaker companies.  Rob - correct me if I'm wrong.  I love all the amp discussion here.

JLM

« Reply #18 on: 7 Feb 2015, 01:26 am »
Check this out.  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=121461.0

So I mentioned the brand of my drivers 15 months ago, so what?  Rob I'm trying to throughly confirm to your (AC unique) rules, was this one made before then?

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: 7 Feb 2015, 04:30 am »
Post removed.
« Last Edit: 7 Feb 2015, 07:50 pm by Canada Rob »