Bryston Loudspeakers

spinner

Re: Bryston Loudspeakers
« Reply #680 on: 15 Oct 2012, 02:05 pm »
   The Canton Vento series would be another competitor from Germany .

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #681 on: 15 Oct 2012, 03:37 pm »
   The Canton Vento series would be another competitor from Germany .

Yes there are lots of great speakers out there - hopefully we can compete competently.  :duh:

James

mkaiser

« Reply #682 on: 15 Oct 2012, 05:38 pm »
Cherry or black, with aluminum grills/quote]

I'll second that request. If not, then the first one works.  :thumb:

Mark

sfraser

« Reply #683 on: 16 Oct 2012, 01:52 pm »
Hi Folks - I hate grills but need some input - of the 2 Model T shown any preferences?

Second sample James. I agree the grill per driver makes it a bit busy. I think a two piece grill might look sharp. The top grill from the 2nd sample and a bottom grill for all the woofers.  or maybe i seen that on another sample somewhere along the line and it stuck with me.

Cheers,

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #684 on: 19 Oct 2012, 05:32 pm »
Hi Folks,

The Bryston Model T Loudspeaker Brochure is now up on the Bryston Website under “Latest News”

http://www.bryston.com/PDF/brochures/MODEL_T_PASSIVE_BROCHURE.pdf

james

bobNL

• Some say he's a purist
« Reply #685 on: 19 Oct 2012, 09:29 pm »
Hi James,

Looks really, really, nice!

Hope to hear one soon, word has it one set is crossing the atlantic as we speak.
What sort of amp would one need as a minimum to drive the passive version?
Would a trusty B100 suffice?

Cheers,
Bob

srb

« Reply #686 on: 19 Oct 2012, 09:57 pm »
A pair of the 91dB Bryston passives would calculate to give a peak output of ~ 110dB with the B100 (180W @ 4 ohms) when the speakers are ~ 2 to 4 feet from the walls at a listening distance of ~ 10 feet.

That should be able to acommodate peaks for the majority of recordings at normal listening levels.

Steve

bobNL

• Some say he's a purist
« Reply #687 on: 19 Oct 2012, 10:07 pm »
Great!

Thanks Steve, not certain I follow the math, but very helpfull nevertheless.

Bob

srb

« Reply #688 on: 19 Oct 2012, 10:47 pm »
Thanks Steve, not certain I follow the math, but very helpfull nevertheless.

The speaker's sensitivity is 91dB at 1 meter distance.  Each 3dB increase requires a doubling of power.

94dB = 2W
97dB = 4W
100dB = 8W
103dB = 16W
106dB = 32W
109dB = 64W
112dB = 128W
113.4dB = 180W (The maxiumum output of the B100 amp @ 4 ohms to the 4 ohm Model T speaker)
115dB = 256W
118dB = 512W

The 118dB/512W figure also seems to be pretty much inline with the Model T specs of 118dB maximum output and 500W maximum power handling.

These figures are at 1 meter from the speaker.  Each doubling of distance decreases the dB output by ~ 6dB, so the maximum output at 10 feet would be decreased to ~ 104dB.  This is for one speaker.  Two speakers increases the output by ~ 3dB.  Having the speakers closer to a wall than out in the middle of the room also increases the output from boundary reinforcement, hence the estimate of ~ 110dB.

If you listen to music at an average 85dB level, this would allow peaks of ~ 25dB.  These are all estimates and presumes that the drivers and crossovers are perfectly linear, but it gets you in the ballpark.

There are a number of SPL calculators online that you can plug numbers into and get a decent estimate of what one might expect.  Here is one of them:  SPL Calculator .  You can also download an Excel spreadsheet version from the site if you want to easily compare a number of possibilities.

Edit:  Even though the above link is correct and works from my bookmarks, for some reason it is being redirected to the host website when clicked here on the forum.  You can Google it however:  http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=spl+calculator+collins+cinema

Steve

bacmsl

« Reply #689 on: 20 Oct 2012, 08:10 pm »
Any chance of any horns? Probably not.

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #690 on: 25 Oct 2012, 10:45 pm »
I have been told by my Jacksonville Fl Bryston dealer that they are trying to get a pair of Model Ts for me to audition. I say "audition" because even though I am likely going to be an owner of these, I can't sign off without even a 30 minute listen, so here's to putting my hands on them late November, or maybe just in time to be a Christmas present to myself  :D

Maybe, just maybe, I could be the very first Model T owner in Florida? cool

JeffO

« Reply #691 on: 28 Oct 2012, 01:10 am »
James,

Great demo of the Model T at Audio-One today.  Nicely balanced, good bass and incredible dynamics.  Physically bigger than I thought they would be, I liked the outriggers. 

I could really tell the difference when you played a song with some (not even a huge amount of) compression, I do not recall hearing a speaker that had the same dynamics.  For future demos you may what to have a few tracks that are heavily compressed to highlight how bad some of the recordings are today and to show off the dynamics when you switch to a song with less compression. 

I was impressed. 

mr_bill

« Reply #692 on: 28 Oct 2012, 02:01 am »
In order to understand your comments better, how are you defining dynamics - the ability to play really loud or ....................

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #693 on: 28 Oct 2012, 12:08 pm »
James,

Great demo of the Model T at Audio-One today.  Nicely balanced, good bass and incredible dynamics.  Physically bigger than I thought they would be, I liked the outriggers. 

I could really tell the difference when you played a song with some (not even a huge amount of) compression, I do not recall hearing a speaker that had the same dynamics.  For future demos you may what to have a few tracks that are heavily compressed to highlight how bad some of the recordings are today and to show off the dynamics when you switch to a song with less compression. 

I was impressed.

Hi Jeff,

Glad you enjoyed it  - good idea on the compression demo - I could even compare MP3 to CD vs High Res???

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #694 on: 28 Oct 2012, 12:54 pm »
In order to understand your comments better, how are you defining dynamics - the ability to play really loud or ....................

Hi Bill

It’s an important distinction and worth discussing. 

The ability to play loud is part of the compression equation but generally refers to how loud or the maximum sound pressure level a speaker can achieve before it starts to distort the waveform (Model T is 118 dB).  You can see this in the measurements in some reviews.  So there is definitely a correlation between dynamic compression and how loud a speaker can play… but I think when people refer to ‘lack of Dynamic Compression’ they are referring to how well the speaker responds to high level transient material as well as the ability to maintain the dynamic contrasts in the music. If it compresses the transient dynamics things can start to sound squashed and take on a hard and glassy character. I always remember my first speakers that where Klipschhorns and man when a dynamic transient came along it was REAL WORLD!

Some reviewers test the speakers at 90dB sound pressure level and look at the linearity of the frequency response – if it looks good in some cases they will test the same speaker again at 95dB. For instance Sound Stage Magazine puts this comment in their speaker test info :

PLEASE NOTE: Our standard is to provide the THD+N measurement at 90dB with a measuring distance of 2 meters (within the anechoic chamber). Since this speaker produced low distortion levels under those conditions, we have added a second measurement performed at 95dB to give an indication of performance under higher-output conditions.

In the Model T it was one of the main goals I tried to achieve – I wanted a speaker that could produce real world transients without distortion given current dynamic driver technology.  This meant developing our own drivers of course but in the end you can produce a speaker that performs exactly as you want.  Here are the anechoic measurements of the Model T at 90dB and then at 110dB! – Notice how little change there is in the frequency response even at very high sound pressure levels.

This means that there is very little compression or distortion going on when those huge dynamics hit and it truly can provide real world dynamics as well as the ability to play at very low levels as well as high levels without changing the dynamic contrasts in the music.

Hope this helps.

james

BrystonFan

« Reply #695 on: 28 Oct 2012, 03:49 pm »
I can second JeffO's comments concerning the Model T demo at Audio-One. I appreciated the fact that James let the speakers do the "talking", no hi-res material, no mega$ speaker cables, he kept it nice and simple (pair of 7BSST2) and I must say the Model Ts sounded very detailed and clean - a bargain for speakers of this size against some of the other classic hi-end speaker giants in the market today. Well done James!  :thumb:

P.S. Can't wait to get my SP3 (17" Black)  :drool:

mr_bill

« Reply #696 on: 28 Oct 2012, 03:56 pm »
Excellent explanation James and yes, that is what I was shooting for.  A speaker that can handle transients at ANY loudness level, especially at low to moderate levels.  It is not often that I listen real loud, but that is what I  find common in most explanations of dynamics.

What I am after (and it appears you too with this design) is the difference between high and low sounds and accurate transient response without compression - at any volume level - correct?  That is what makes music sound real.

JeffO

« Reply #697 on: 28 Oct 2012, 03:57 pm »

Most speakers are designed to operate well at normal listening levels but when the volume gets too high or too low the frequency response changes.  When listening to a speaker I find this means that some low level sounds get lost or the high level sounds get distorted or compressed.  James played a number of songs, many hi res, where the volume of the instruments and voices change significantly (I do not mean the volume of the preamp was change but the volume on the recording changes) and the tonal balance stayed the same regardless of the volume. 

The best example of this during the demo was when playing Also Sprach Zarathustra (Theme from 2001) the base drum was clearly audible throughout the recording at moderate listening levels (we could talk over the music).  With most speakers in this price range I cannot hear the drum until the volume is much higher which indicates the speaker is rolling off the bottom end at low volumes. 

JeffO

« Reply #698 on: 28 Oct 2012, 04:00 pm »
I can second JeffO's comments concerning the Model T demo at Audio-One. I appreciated the fact that James let the speakers do the "talking", no hi-res material, no mega$ speaker cables, he kept it nice and simple (pair of 7BSST2) and I must say the Model Ts sounded very detailed and clean - a bargain for speakers of this size against some of the other classic hi-end speaker giants in the market today. Well done James!  :thumb:

P.S. Can't wait to get my SP3 (17" Black)  :drool:

Good choice, do not forget the blue LED's. 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #699 on: 28 Oct 2012, 04:00 pm »
Excellent explanation James and yes, that is what I was shooting for.  A speaker that can handle transients at ANY loudness level, especially at low to moderate levels.  It is not often that I listen real loud, but that is what I  find common in most explanations of dynamics.

What I am after (and it appears you too with this design) is the difference between high and low sounds and accurate transient response without compression - at any volume level - correct?  That is what makes music sound real.

I think so as well - the music has a real world feel about it - we have all heard really loud dynamics in our everyday lives and we just know instictively they are not reproduced sounds.

james