Hi all! I'm new and building an integrated amp out of SOLID ALUMINUM :-)

Guy 13

Hi Guy_13
Thanks a lot for your comment! Loved reading it, thanks for the compliments!
I'd like to hear his comment! Perhaps he's got some great ideas we all can use :-)

I chose the french name not because i speak french, at all. I wanted to put my last name (Keizer) in there somewhere, but i didn't really liked "Keizer Audio" so perhaps "Emperor Audio"? Or "Empire Audio"? But every time i came back to L'empereur audio. This is also what i called my first amplifier about ten years ago when i was 15 Yo.
I've never even wrote down the name "Keizer Audio" but now i do, it looks kind of o.k.

Any native English speaking people with an opinion about that?

Mike Nomad,

Thanks for the comment, it's great and motivating to read, i hope you'll enjoy the pictures that will come here in a few minutes!

Randytsuch
Thanks! Glad everyone is enjoying this project just as much as i do.

Great idea to move the thread, I checked that lab forum and i also think it's a better place.
So if any mod reads this, can you move it? Thanks! :-)

Hi Pjotter.
I never seen on AC so many nice pictures for a single project.
That's a best documented project up to now.
Maybe Keizer Audio sounds better than l'Empereur.
Keep up the good work, I am anxious to see the finish product.

Guy 13

Pjotter

• Aluminum + Audio = Magic :-)
Wow wonderful photos, alot of work.
The finished pieces looks perfect, congrats.

Thanks for the kind words!

Pjotter

Wow, thanks for posting!  :thumb:

You're welcome, I'm happy to see you like it!

Pjotter

Looks cool man!!

Nice to see another CNC machinist on here making audio art.

Best,
Matt

Hi Matt,

Especially nice to hear some input from you. I was already about to inform you that i've started a thread here, but you've already found it. Or perhaps someone informed you?

Anyway, great to hear you like it! Do you have any (cnc) projects going on?

Pjotter

Are you going to post your amp build specs too? Just curious, I gave up on Chipamps, but who knows what yours sounds like compared to mine!

The work here, wow. Plus the aluminum will reduce some low frequency inductance being so close to everything.

The whole idea of the aluminum was to eliminate any frequency inductance. Or at least as much as possible.
But this amplifier is already very quiet even on just a glass plate i use for prototyping.

But i think i'll have it measured if i can find someone willing to do, i'm very curious myself what the results will be.
My ears tell me it's great so far, but i'd like to see some charts when it's finished!
And those i will post, perhaps together with additional build info.

What exactly made you give up on Chip Amps?

Pjotter

Hi Pjotter.
I never seen on AC so many nice pictures for a single project.
That's a best documented project up to now.
Maybe Keizer Audio sounds better than l'Empereur.
Keep up the good work, I am anxious to see the finish product.

Guy 13

Hi Guy 13,

I'm glad to hear you like it, I'm making the pictures also (or mostly) for myself.
It's a project that i love to do, and even though i know i will like the result of it, building it is the biggest joy.

More pictures will come when i make more progress ;-)

Folsom

I never achieved the body presence I wanted with the imaging is a big part. Stringent is a word I'd use for a lot of the sound I got.

That doesn't mean anyone else had that experience. But I think I'd agree with some assessments of amplifier rankings that have been made on the board.

That's why I'm so curious what is going on with yours that has made it become a quality I wasn't able to achieve.

The aluminum will be most affective on some larger currents (lower frequency). High frequency can be broken by planes of copper that are the conductor or can be dealt with by proper sized capacitors for reactance, proximity, and expected charge potential.

If your amplifier sounds pretty good already then you've probably handled a lot of potential issues with higher frequencies. The aluminum is a good idea, I've got a project using a similar idea. Yet I'm not certain yet of the value.

Pjotter

I never achieved the body presence I wanted with the imaging is a big part. Stringent is a word I'd use for a lot of the sound I got.

That doesn't mean anyone else had that experience. But I think I'd agree with some assessments of amplifier rankings that have been made on the board.

That's why I'm so curious what is going on with yours that has made it become a quality I wasn't able to achieve.

The aluminum will be most affective on some larger currents (lower frequency). High frequency can be broken by planes of copper that are the conductor or can be dealt with by proper sized capacitors for reactance, proximity, and expected charge potential.

If your amplifier sounds pretty good already then you've probably handled a lot of potential issues with higher frequencies. The aluminum is a good idea, I've got a project using a similar idea. Yet I'm not certain yet of the value.

I've used a LM3875 based amp before, it was build without capacitors in the PSU and no snubbers or other caps. I didn't liked the sound of it that much.
But it was o.k.

Then when i build this one, with an other PSU and a different grounding layout + snubbers it really blew my mind.
It was when i played stevie ray vaughan - tin pan alley that i knew this was something special.

It made the speakers do things i've never heard them do before. Normally they're always backed up by a sub, but now i don't need that sub, the bass is so low and so pure.
So warm, I use a Musical Fidelity Tri Vista SACD DAC (tubes inside) and this is a golden combination.

It's just a joy to listen to :-)

Mike Nomad

Thanks for putting up pictures of the milling unit, and showing the progression on the milling itself. Mmmm... shavings.

Simply put, this is top-shelf work. The external fit and finish look fantastic.

I too think Keizer Audio looks just fine in print. From a design perspective, having two words with almost the same letter count makes a lot of things possible...

I think it would be a shame to use any other name: The design, work, and finished product is all you.

Mike Nomad,

Thanks for the comment, it's great and motivating to read, i hope you'll enjoy the pictures that will come here in a few minutes!

AluminatiSound

• Industry Participant
  • Machining and Audio What A Great Match!
Hi Matt,

Especially nice to hear some input from you. I was already about to inform you that i've started a thread here, but you've already found it. Or perhaps someone informed you?

Anyway, great to hear you like it! Do you have any (cnc) projects going on?

I just happened to get on and saw your thread :)

We always have something going on, from our X2 amps to new designs and OEM parts for other audio companies.

Keep up the good work!

Best,
Matt

Pjotter

I just happened to get on and saw your thread :)

We always have something going on, from our X2 amps to new designs and OEM parts for other audio companies.

Keep up the good work!

Best,
Matt

O.k. cool!

You're running this business full time? Or working as a machinist and doing it in your spare time?

Those X2 amps are some nice amps, but personally i liked the cases you've made for the N-Core amps a lot more.

Funny thing is, the guys who make the N-core are just 50KM away from me  :)

AluminatiSound

• Industry Participant
  • Machining and Audio What A Great Match!
O.k. cool!

You're running this business full time? Or working as a machinist and doing it in your spare time?

Those X2 amps are some nice amps, but personally i liked the cases you've made for the N-Core amps a lot more.

Funny thing is, the guys who make the N-core are just 50KM away from me  :)

Jas and I run the business on our spare time but it definitely keeps us busy!

Those amp cases did look great but took a long time to make.

I'll keep an eye on your thread.

Folsom

I'm so curious now!

Pjotter

Jas and I run the business on our spare time but it definitely keeps us busy!

Those amp cases did look great but took a long time to make.

I'll keep an eye on your thread.

Great that you're able to run that company in your spare time, do you have your own machines or you use those of your employer?

What size where those cases? I wasn't aware of how big this block was until i actually got it on my desk (300x400x100MM = 12x16x4").
It's heavy but i love it!

But got to say that it itches a bit as well to make mono blocks, they're just double fun to make  :lol:

Pjotter

I'm so curious now!

Curious for what? Matt's wonderful work? check his thread: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=115750.0

He's a true CNC Magician!

Pjotter

New pictures are on the way  :green:

Pjotter

I've posted new pictures up here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=128921.0

I asked the moderator to move this topic over there, but i didn't heard anything so i started a new thread there.