dbpoweramp pro and Teac drive for ripping

BPT

• Industry Participant
  • Balanced Power Technologies
Re: dbpoweramp pro and Teac drive for ripping
« Reply #120 on: 15 Feb 2010, 06:18 pm »
Yeah they are crappy--won't even read/recognize a TDK DVDR disc. Mines going back. Think I'll opt for something more substantial like the Plextor PX-880U.

BPT

• Industry Participant
« Reply #121 on: 17 Feb 2010, 01:36 pm »
Plextor arrived last night from Newegg ($99 delivered). This thing is a beast. It is probably 3 times the size of those laptop externals and is built like a tank and beautiful to boot (piano black). It's quiet and does the job (C2s), no problem reading the TDK DVDRs either. Comes with some nifty software as well. This one stays.
Chris H.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #122 on: 17 Feb 2010, 02:02 pm »
Chris,

Do you think the uploading quality is better using the Plextor rather then the Mac Mini internal?

firedog

« Reply #123 on: 17 Feb 2010, 02:11 pm »
Yeah they are crappy--won't even read/recognize a TDK DVDR disc. Mines going back. Think I'll opt for something more substantial like the Plextor PX-880U.

Chris, just to confirm: You did get the Plextor PX-880U and are happy with it?

BPT

• Industry Participant
« Reply #124 on: 17 Feb 2010, 02:23 pm »
Yes, the PX-880U. It's big and it's nice--makes those other little externals seem like toys. Because of its substantial build, dedicated power supply and location outside of the computer case, I expect it to perform better than the internal drive of a Mini. I also expect it will have a longer service life as well.
Chris H.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #125 on: 17 Feb 2010, 02:26 pm »
Yes, the PX-880U. It's big and it's nice--makes those other little externals seem like toys. Because of its substantial build, dedicated power supply and location outside of the computer case, I expect it to perform better than the internal drive of a Mini. I also expect it will have a longer service life as well.
Chris H.

Please keep us updated.  I burn't my internal Mini drive out about a month ago (replaced under warranty) but would be open to getting the PX-880U.

TomW16

« Reply #126 on: 5 Mar 2010, 04:16 am »
I finally received my TEAC drive and hooked it up today.  It was recognized as the TEAC drive but I couldn't visually confirm it because of the rubber sleeve around the drive itself.  The rubber sleve would have likely come off but I didn't want to stuggle to get it off and then on again.  In any case, I installed it on my Windows Home Server and purchased the RipNAS software and it works beautifully; truly plug and play.

The only issue with my drive is that the LED does not appear to work.  I would assume that the LED should be lit when a CD is inserted and mine does not light when a CD is inserted.

eBay is, therefore, one option for those in search of the TEAC drive.

Cheers,
Tom

I certainly will.  I received a response from the seller that it is the Chinese New Year so the drive will only ship on Feb 21st.

Cheers,
Tom

digger945

« Reply #127 on: 3 May 2010, 01:13 am »
Maybe the difference that the Teac drive makes is in accurately ripping the data in reference to the timing.

If the data is shifted, will it still pass checksum, etc.?  ...still be "bit perfect" but out of sync here or there, perhaps a block here or there, in relation to the timing signal, or perhaps even the L/R signal?

This could explain why 2 files that appear to be identical and even same size, can sound different. I understand that there are many other factors that come into play when ripping CDs, but the timing could account for something.

I ordered one on eBay to see and listen for myself.

mr_bill

« Reply #128 on: 9 May 2010, 10:04 pm »
Chris,
How is the Plextor drive working - is it a better choice than the Teac?
Thanks,
Bill

Chris H.

claytontstanley

« Reply #129 on: 10 May 2010, 02:10 am »
Maybe the difference that the Teac drive makes is in accurately ripping the data in reference to the timing.

If the data is shifted, will it still pass checksum, etc.?  ...still be "bit perfect" but out of sync here or there, perhaps a block here or there, in relation to the timing signal, or perhaps even the L/R signal?

This could explain why 2 files that appear to be identical and even same size, can sound different. I understand that there are many other factors that come into play when ripping CDs, but the timing could account for something.

I ordered one on eBay to see and listen for myself.

I would love to learn more about how the checksum is actually calculated, if anyone has any links. I'd like to use that info to get to the bottom of this thread, that's been nagging at the back of my mind for quite some time: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=73163.msg694858#msg694858

claytontstanley

« Reply #130 on: 11 May 2010, 03:05 am »
Ha! Thank god for wikipedia: "Because a CRC is based on division, no polynomial can detect errors consisting of a string of zeroes prepended to the data, or of missing leading zeroes" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematics_of_CRC).

The teak drive combined with dbPowerAmp just makes wave files with a lot of leading zeros, which is a 'good thing' for the DAC (http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=73163.msg694858#msg694858).

AccurateRip checksums that are the same for two files, mean that every bit bracketed between the last leading zero and the end of the track is the same. This is 'bit perfect'. (note that bit perfect isn't influenced by the number of leading zeros used).

So, I say just write a piece of code that appends a few seconds of leading zeros to each song that you have in your library. If you use this perl script to check the AccurateRip database (http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~cjk32/ARCue/ARCue.pl) for the modified wav file, it should still be as 'bit-perfect' as before, but sound better.

After looking through this info, my opinion (for what it's worth) on the EAC/dbPoweramp/drive debate is this: If you're getting the right checksums, and you just add a few leading zeros, you'll do just fine.

-Clayton

BPT

• Industry Participant
« Reply #131 on: 11 May 2010, 11:53 am »
Bill:
The Plextor works great. Can't say if it is better or not than the Teac.
Chris H.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #132 on: 11 May 2010, 11:59 am »
Bill:
The Plextor works great. Can't say if it is better or not than the Teac.
Chris H.

So in your opinion do you think that this drive will upload a better copy then the Mac Mini internal drive?  Can you hear the difference?

BPT

• Industry Participant
« Reply #133 on: 11 May 2010, 12:23 pm »
Don't know if it is a "better" copy, but I do hear an improvement.
Chris H.

audioengr

« Reply #134 on: 26 May 2011, 04:47 pm »
I have other reports that the Plexwriter2 combined with Plextools does a better job of ripping than anything else.

Steve N.

dmatt

« Reply #135 on: 26 May 2011, 06:03 pm »
Am I missing something or is the Plextor PX-880U no longer available? :scratch:

BPT

• Industry Participant
« Reply #136 on: 26 May 2011, 06:33 pm »
Looks like they are discontinued. The replacement is PX-L890UE.
Chris H.

firedog

« Reply #137 on: 30 May 2011, 09:47 am »
http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=23074

See updated list of Dbpoweramp list of recommended drives, based on AccurateRip submissions.

If you follow the thread the recommendation is to get whatever "easy to obtain drive from the top part of the list, 5.25" drives are easier to obtain and cheaper."

srb

« Reply #138 on: 30 May 2011, 10:08 am »
If you follow the thread the recommendation is to get whatever "easy to obtain drive from the top part of the list, 5.25" drives are easier to obtain and cheaper."

Not sure what that means, as all CD/DVD/Blu-ray drives are 5.25" wide.  They might be slim height (~ half height) tray or slot load drives, but they all have to be 5.25" form factor, as the optical discs are 120mm (4.75") themselves.

Perhaps they meant to say "Full-Height drives are easier to obtain and cheaper".

Steve

scp2

« Reply #139 on: 30 May 2011, 11:45 am »
I started at the top and looked for a readily availible e drive and it was til I got down a ways til I found this one. 

Plextor-EXTERNAL-PX-708UF-12X-SW/dp at amazon

It was external..which I prefered. Anybody else?