My recommendation for vinyl set up for non audiophile

drphoto

I got an email from my ex (friendly break up btw) about getting into vinyl.I figured she'd value ease of use over ultimate sound quality, so I recommended one of the Denon auto decks from Needle Doctor along w/ pre installed Ortrofan Blue cart. And vac cleaner and carbon brush.

it wouldn't be my choice, but I was trying to think of a casual user. One nice feature for her, is deck has built in phono preamp. Less stuff to buy and less confusion for novice.

BTW: she has and Onyx tube integrated and Norh 9.0 Marbles. Pretty nice set up.

I've not heard the Denon or the Ortofron myself. When I had vinyl, I ran the Denon 103 cart, and thought it was incredible for the money.

Again, emphasis on user friendly, not USQ.

Any thoughts?

dB Cooper

Re: My recommendation for vinyl set up for non audiophile
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jun 2017, 03:54 am »
"Not an audiophile" but has a tube integrated?  :scratch:

Another candidate might be the U-Turn Orbit, which is also available with built-in preamp.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jun 2017, 04:03 am »
My oldest daughter and son in law decided to add vinyl to their home theater/audio set up and asked me for recommendations. they needed a Turntable cartridge and phono stage and wanted to keep the cost around $1,000 or less for everything. I recommended the Project Debut Carbon with an Ortofon 2M cartridge and the ifi Phono II phono stage. They are really enjoying having a TT in their system.

drphoto

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jun 2017, 04:22 am »
db, yeah....that was my influence.  :icon_lol:

Vinyl Lady, that setup (or entry level VPI) would have been my first choice, but I'm thinking of someone who just wants to spin a record and forget about it. Not having to worry about lifting the tone arm at end of play and all. Again,think ease of use over sound.

Thanks for the replies.

I really had to suppress my natural instincts on this one. (I had a Rega P3-24 with all the upgrades/ the aforementioned Denon, a vac cleaner, and all the associated setup crap, it was pretty damn great other than being susceptible to low end feedback)

She doesn't need all that.

Scott F.

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jun 2017, 11:08 am »
If you are looking at ease of use, I'd go for a Dual 1219. The 1219 was a fairly decent (entry) deck back in the day complete with auto cueing at the start and end of a side. There are several sites that sell parts and will also restore one for you if needed. Last I looked, you could get into one for around $250. Mate it with Shure, Ortofon or AT and a cheap phonostage and forget about it. Instant vinyl for the non-audiophile.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #5 on: 16 Jun 2017, 01:49 pm »
She can have my Technics SL-150 MK 2 with Rega 300 arm and Denon DL-103R cartridge for $3000. At that price, I'll throw in 2500 LPs.

Whatever table she buys will remain in nice condition because she will not be bothered to play records other than as an occasional diversion. How do I know? Because you said this, "think ease of use over sound". That convenience factor is the pathway to digital. Why not just talk her out of it? If raising the tonearm is too much trouble, why have one?

WGH

« Reply #6 on: 16 Jun 2017, 02:32 pm »
Any turntable that picks up the arm and turns off at the end of the album.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #7 on: 16 Jun 2017, 03:29 pm »
Any turntable that picks up the arm and turns off at the end of the album.
It sounds like this is perhaps the best advice.  There are tons of B.I.Cs, Duals, Akais, JVCs, Sonys, etc.  Shoot, most of us have a couple out in the garage. 

drphoto

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jun 2017, 02:44 am »
Thanks for the replies. She has digital, a CD player and a Squeezebox, but what to spin records. I recommended a new deck with the cart pre-installed (plus it has built in phono amp)  Not worried about finding a bargain, as she is loaded.

stevoz

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jun 2017, 08:02 am »
Thanks for the replies. She has digital, a CD player and a Squeezebox, but what to spin records. I recommended a new deck with the cart pre-installed (plus it has built in phono amp)  Not worried about finding a bargain, as she is loaded.
Your ex is into music enough to be into vinyl and she's loaded? Pity it didn't work out! :P :lol:

twitch54

« Reply #10 on: 22 Jun 2017, 12:37 pm »
Not being an audiofool is probably a good thing, for she can feed her soul with music as opposed to feeding her ego with BS !

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #11 on: 22 Jun 2017, 01:56 pm »
Whereabouts does this lovely creature live? :eyebrows:

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #12 on: 22 Jun 2017, 02:55 pm »
I would suggest the U-Turn Orbit turntable with tone arm and with the cue control option and the built in phono preamp option for an excellent basic starter setup assuming the integrated amp used does not already have a built in phono preamp section.  Price will come out in the under $400 range and its really nice.  Go for the acrylic platter option to splurge.

Frank

Toni Rambold

« Reply #13 on: 22 Jun 2017, 08:39 pm »
Please allow me to recommend this turntable

for a Lady of wealth and taste.

earwig

« Reply #14 on: 21 Jul 2017, 03:31 am »
My brother had this beautifull made  shiny mahogany looking JVC in the late 1980s turntable unlike anything I ever seen to this day. It had this heavy metal platter and a very unusual electronic chips inside turntable pickup tonearm mechanism. It sounded decent for its price level too.