4 inch full range driver for ob….

skite30

Re: 4 inch full range driver for ob….
« Reply #20 on: 25 Feb 2024, 10:19 pm »
A bit of an update…all of the mark audio drivers I wish to try r on back order….the pluvia 7hd is at the,top of the list although the chp70 and especially the  90’s look interesting…other ones r the fostex fe108ns and any of the scanspeak 4 inch discovery line look like contenders….rthe scanspeaks r only ones in stock I believe….for now I removed the w8-1808 ‘s. and replaced them with and old pair of omega rs7’s….sound great…the tang bands seem a bit muddled in comparrison…t…the rs7’s still sound better in the old snell E cabinets where they have languished for years in my closet….bit still quite nice in ob….so kinda stymied for the moment….any new thoughts out there….?

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #21 on: 26 Feb 2024, 03:20 am »
….the pluvia 7hd, chp70, CHP90, fostex fe108ns, scanspeak 4 inch discovery line

The Pluvia and the CHP90 would be my top choices, they are quite different, the CHP needs a bigger box, goes lower, and is a bit more laid back.

CHP70 is voiced for the Japanese market with an elevate midrange. Usually not to western tastes

FE108ns will want a horn. Haven’t heard them but if anything like the FE108e∑ or other fostex of simialr size will be more romantic with potentially some shout.

I’ve heard one of the 3” Scans, sometimes people think they are 4”. Quite neutral, very pricey.

dave

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #22 on: 26 Feb 2024, 03:24 am »
CHP70 is voiced for the Japanese market with an elevate midrange. Usually not to western tastes.
This explain a lot of things.

skite30

« Reply #23 on: 27 Feb 2024, 12:21 am »
They look like almost  totally different drivers…may be forced to buy them both…the sacrifices we make for audio….

richidoo

« Reply #24 on: 27 Feb 2024, 03:07 pm »
Is this the Scanspeak Discovery 3"-4" full range model Dave and OP referred to?
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-4-fullrange/scanspeak-discovery-10f/8414g-10-4-full-range/

skite30

« Reply #25 on: 27 Feb 2024, 04:43 pm »
Yes it is…there r three scanspeak drivers  I have been looking at…the 8414 the 8424 and the 4424 I believe….all r listed on the madisound website page together… 4 inch full range …

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #26 on: 27 Feb 2024, 09:30 pm »
yes rich that is rthe FR one, the midrange is the one usually most talkked about.

dave

Poultrygeist

« Reply #27 on: 18 Mar 2024, 01:18 pm »
The Coral Holey Basket alnico's would be a great choice. They aren't hard to find and can be had for around a $100 a pair.

http://glowinthedarkaudio.com/coralholey.html

skite30

« Reply #28 on: 18 Mar 2024, 03:00 pm »
Thanks I will take a look for a pair….The pluvia 7hd’s are still on back order so I ordered a pair of alpair 10p to  try…figure at these prices… why not….
Hopefully the pluvias will be back in stock soon….

walkern

« Reply #29 on: 18 Mar 2024, 03:41 pm »
You may wish to consider the LGK driver from GR Research.  For your listening tastes and near field distance, they might work very nicely, and they are quite reasonably priced.

Here is a link:
https://gr-research.com/product/lgk-woofer/

Neil

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #30 on: 18 Mar 2024, 06:15 pm »
The Coral Holey Basket alnico's would be a great choice. They aren't hard to find and can be had for around a $100 a pair.

They are special, but they tend to get SSS (Stiff Surround Syndrome). No-one has yet figured out how to unstiffen them, but if they suffer they still make a decent midTweeter,

Never paid more than $10 for a pair. The ones from Monarch that came a pair of 16Ω  to the box was my favorite source.

dave

Poultrygeist

« Reply #31 on: 19 Mar 2024, 04:33 am »
There are currently three pair of Coral Holey Baskets ( aka FE103A ) on eBay from different venders at $169- $175 a pair. The surrounds of my pair are not stiff at all. Every one of my vintage drivers with alnico motors so far have been winners. A few months back Madisound had their anniversary FE103A alnico editions priced at a whopping $750. There's a lengthy thread on the CHB's at HiFi Haven.

skite30

« Reply #32 on: 19 Mar 2024, 01:42 pm »
I saw those….anyway u can tell sss from a pic…?.or is it just buyer beware….

skite30

« Reply #33 on: 31 Mar 2024, 09:09 pm »
Madisound finally have the 7hd’s in stock so I have a pair on the way…..meanwhile the A10p r nearing the 100 hour mark….really terrific speakers….did not expect anything this good….must say the maop 5 have caught my eye….anyone familiar with the 5’s….?

skite30

« Reply #34 on: 23 Apr 2024, 02:39 pm »
The pluvia 7hd’s have arrived and have about 100 hours on them…quite different sounding drivers….the 7’s r very open, fast and clear, great soundstage…..rising spl doesnt bother me actually probably an advantage….as I cant hear above10000 anyway…the 10p were musical right out of the box… more meat on the bones than the 7hd’s…..soundstage is not as open and deep but more forward nd involving if u will……u feel a part of it not just looking at it….will go back and forth for awhile but as of now the 10p’s r more to my liking…..

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #35 on: 23 Apr 2024, 05:52 pm »
I saw those….anyway u can tell sss from a pic…?.or is it just buyer beware….

No you can’t tell from a picture.

dave