Heat and fans

SteveRB

Heat and fans
« on: 26 May 2015, 07:46 pm »
Hello,

My first post in this circle...

I recently moved my gear into a new rack. My Leben CS600 is not on a lower shelf and there is some heat build up on the shelf above it.

Does any one have a recommendation for a small fan I can place in the rack; hopefully something with a decent motor that won't feed into the power circuit/sound? I was hoping to simply add it to my power conditioner to switch all 'ON' at once...

Thanks for looking

JakeJ

Re: Heat and fans
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2015, 08:21 am »
You can absolutely put a fan in/on your rack to help move the heat out.  What type of rack did you get?  Open frame, or fully enclosed?  Doors?  Can you post a pic?

The key is finding a fan that moves a significant volume of air but does so as silently as possible.  If you can provide a 12 VDC power supply then you might consider a computer case fan that is 8" to 10" diameter and of the low speed, high volume variety.

Anyone else have an idea?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2015, 03:04 pm »
Hello,

My first post in this circle...

I recently moved my gear into a new rack. My Leben CS600 is not on a lower shelf and there is some heat build up on the shelf above it.

Does any one have a recommendation for a small fan I can place in the rack; hopefully something with a decent motor that won't feed into the power circuit/sound? I was hoping to simply add it to my power conditioner to switch all 'ON' at once...

Thanks for looking

It's not on a lower shelf but there is a shelf over it.  So it must be on a middle shelf.  I would try arrange it to be on the top shelf.  I don't use closed rack with my tube gear.  Leben with 4 power tubes probably generate quite a bit of heat.  if it's a closed rack I would put two fans -- one blowing in and one blowing out to get an air flow.  Case fans with speed (sound) control would be good.   You should be able to get a 12 vdc power supply to connect to your conditioner.

SteveRB

« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2015, 03:54 pm »
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately moving the unit to the top is not an option due to space. The shelf is open, metal and glass: see image. So there is potential to move the air around the unit. The metal rail above the Leben is getting hot; not burn yourself hot, but more than enough that I can somewhat concerned for long term life of the gear. There is about 2" above the amp before the glass and about 4" above the turntable power supply next to it.

So a low voltage fan is preferred over a line voltage unit.

I will head up to the electronics supply store this weekend and see what I can find for low speed, high volume case fans. I may need a couple smaller ones as there is not a lot of space available.

JakeJ

« Reply #4 on: 27 May 2015, 08:22 pm »
OK, thanks for the photo.  You have lots of ways to arrange one or more fans to move plenty of air and still be unobtrusive both aesthetically and sonically.  Another source might be NewEgg.  Also an alternative would be to get a wall-wart power supply that has 12 VDC out and capable of, say, 1 Amp.  That would more than enough to run two or thee fans and that could be plugged into your power conditioner for that "all on at once" set up you want.

Oh, and welcome to the Tube-O-Phile Circle.  :thumb:

SteveRB

« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2015, 09:12 pm »
Thanks!

And to add a little knowledge:

The Leben CS600 just loves these inexpensive tubes.

Mike B.

« Reply #6 on: 27 May 2015, 09:20 pm »
It looks like you have several inches above it, and open sides along with front and back. I would think that sufficient

SteveRB

« Reply #7 on: 27 May 2015, 09:24 pm »
It looks like you have several inches above it, and open sides along with front and back. I would think that sufficient

Mike, The metal support rail directly above the amp gets pretty warm to the touch. I just want to ensure I'm not compromising any of the components. I do have this thing running most nights for several hours.

Currently running everything through a pair of custom Belle Klipsch 2-way horns: Sounds great! VERY addicting.

kentajalli

« Reply #8 on: 29 May 2015, 10:44 pm »
Use a variable speed 12cm PC cooling fan.
For power use a 6 or 7.5V wall charger/PSU leftover in your junk drawer!
these fans are quiet, but almost silent at voltages mentioned ( they run from 5V to 12V at different speeds).
One should be enough to move enough air, if not use two - they are cheap enough.

SteveRB

« Reply #9 on: 29 May 2015, 10:51 pm »
Use a variable speed 12cm PC cooling fan.
For power use a 6 or 7.5V wall charger/PSU leftover in your junk drawer!
these fans are quiet, but almost silent at voltages mentioned ( they run from 5V to 12V at different speeds).
One should be enough to move enough air, if not use two - they are cheap enough.

Thanks for the info.
Would you use the fan nest to the amp to push air sideways away from the amp, or would you place the fan right on top of the amp pulling the air up and out?

tx2sturgis

• Texas Panhandle
« Reply #10 on: 30 May 2015, 04:10 am »
If you buy any of the standard PC fans, make sure you buy one that is ball-bearing, not bushing.

It will only cost a few dollars more (maybe) but will last years longer.

I like to cool equipment using 18v or 24v DC brushless ball bearing fans running on 12-14 volts or close to it...they run a bit slower and a lot quieter...and will last almost forever.

12v wall warts are common, or you can always buy one if need be.

Gently moving cooling air from the fan TO the amp is the preferred method but whichever way you do it will help.

kentajalli

« Reply #11 on: 30 May 2015, 09:48 am »
Thanks for the info.
Would you use the fan nest to the amp to push air sideways away from the amp, or would you place the fan right on top of the amp pulling the air up and out?
You have to be the judge of that, but as a rule,
Heat rises! try to facilitate the natural flow if you can, I mean a horizontal fan above a heat source pushing air up is better than a side fan pushing air side ways, but it all depends on how much room you have.
Also don't blow cold air into the equipment, try to suck it away, otherwise you create a cold spot and a hot spot which is a No No.
Also the previous poster is correct, ball bearing fans are better and quieter.