DSD DACs

Phil A

Re: DSD DACs
« Reply #20 on: 25 Oct 2012, 07:55 pm »
Off the top of my head, I don't know of any DACs that display world length (there are a couple of pro model AD/DA sample rate converters) although there are some that display sampling rate.  You can buy an outboard box to display sampling rate.  John Gatski of Everything Audio is big on that and his relationship with Benchmark (they shared a room with him at the last two Capital Audiofests) probably led to the inclusion.  I ran over his place about a year back to test what I was getting from my Onkyo DPS 6.9 universal as he has an ATI ADAC2 which is an AD/DA sample rate converter which displays word length and were able to determine it puts out 176.4kHz (I already knew that from my DAC) but truncates word length to 16 bits using an HDMI audio de-embedder.  Drawmer, which is another pro company has a similar unit.  The each cost about $1.5k give or take.

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #21 on: 25 Oct 2012, 08:08 pm »
Just ordered the new Benchmark DAC.  It has the right feature set to easily integrate into my system.  After getting my SACD collection ripped, I now have over 400 reasons to try it.

This is the most I've ever paid for a digital component.  It has 30 days to impress me or it's going back.

Russ

Phil A

« Reply #22 on: 25 Oct 2012, 08:44 pm »
Great - let us know how it sounds.

kingdeezie

« Reply #23 on: 25 Oct 2012, 09:26 pm »
+1, Let us know how you like it.

I wish I would have read this thread sooner. I just ordered a Meitner MA-1, didn't even realize the Benchmark was coming out.  :duh:

Significantly less wallet pain with the Benchmark. Looking forward to your impressions.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #24 on: 25 Oct 2012, 09:44 pm »

I wish I would have read this thread sooner. I just ordered a Meitner MA-1, didn't even realize the Benchmark was coming out.  :duh:

Significantly less wallet pain with the Benchmark. Looking forward to your impressions.

I don't expect the B-mark to be the MA-1.   :) (spoken as an MA-1 customer who put the previous B-mark on the low end of any DACs he's heard).  I surely  expect the new Benchmark to be better, but the MA-1 is in a different stratosphere IMHO.  Price wise, too, of course.

morganc

« Reply #25 on: 25 Oct 2012, 09:50 pm »
Although there are many DSD DACS now available, or soon to be, i have only heard three inhouse.  here is how I summarize them:

Meitner MA-1 ($7k list) Does all things wonderfully; is a state of the art DAC that is the foundation of my big rig.  This DAC has native 1 bit proprietary chips and converts everything coming in to DSD128.  It presents both DSD and PCM with aplomb.  If I won the lottery I'd get it's bigger brother, the EMM DAC2X simply because of the ceramic analog boards, but it's $15k list.   :o

Mytek Stereo 192-DSD DAC ($1600 List)  Is not only the Swiss Army knife of DSD DACs (USB1, USB 2.0, firewire, toslink, coax, remote volume capability, preamp version has analog inputs, mastering version has pro SDIF inputs) but is the value leader.  it's sound is 90% of the Meitner, and it use the ESS Sabre chip (not my fave) to the best I've heard.  it's pro pedigree shows in its stark neutrality and greta detail.  This DAC is comfortable in all setups EXCEPT those that are already slightly clinical or analytical sounding.  It mixes perfectly with tubes or ss.

Sonore eXD DAC ($1299 list)  This is a very dedicated USB DAC, no other inputs.  But it does USB wonderfully, whether in Linux, OSX or Windows..due to being USB Class 2 audio compliant (as is Meitner).  It is the yang to Mytek's yin.  If your system is warm, tubey or a bit rich already the eXD DAC may be too smooth for you.  I loved it and would have a tough time deciding if I hadn't already committed to the Mytek for my system no. 2.  Either are desert island DACs under $2k.

Playback Designs is another hi-end option.  DCS will finally upgrade their boxes to DSD, and then we have the exaSound, Benchmark, Ayre and a few others on the horizon.    :thumb:

Hi Ted,
     Have you heard the Metrum Octave?   Could you compare the Sonore eXD to the Metrum if you have?     Thanks,
Morgan

srb

« Reply #26 on: 25 Oct 2012, 10:00 pm »
I'm interested in any comparisons between the Mytek Stereo 192 DSD and the Benchmark DAC2 HGC.  Both have a number of similarities:

-  Based on ESS Sabre32 9018 DAC
-  Have HT Bypass inputs
-  Have both Analog and Digital volume controls
-  Somewhat same price range (Mytek $1695 MSRP; Benchmark $1995 MSRP)

The Mytek seems to have more programmable options for filters, signal routing and function buttons and other features such as volume mute/dim, channel configurations (Mono/L-R/R-L/Mid-Side) and input types (AES/EBU, FireWire).

The Benchmark has two vs one analog inputs, word length indicators and comes with a remote (Mytek is remote ready for Apple or Universal remote).  Benchmark also says that its active analog gain control and low-impedance attenuators will make for better matching with power amplifiers.

Two very nice DACs with slightly different feature sets, however probably few people will have the opportunity to compare them in the same system as to their perceived sound quality.

Steve

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #27 on: 25 Oct 2012, 10:03 pm »
Hi Ted,
     Have you heard the Metrum Octave?   Could you compare the Sonore eXD to the Metrum if you have?     Thanks,
Morgan

Morgan,
I haven't heard the Metrum Octave, sorry.  It can only do PCM, so I have been subsetting my DAC evals lately to DSD-capable DACs. 

Phil A

« Reply #28 on: 25 Oct 2012, 11:04 pm »
While, I have not heard the Meitner, previous Benchmark DACs I've heard did not get my attention.  However, given all the features of the new DAC, it is definitely something I might consider to start with and at some point move to a secondary system.

kingdeezie

« Reply #29 on: 27 Oct 2012, 02:22 am »
If anyone cares, my Meitner DAC came into today. I got it from Perotta Consulting, which as an aside, was a great transaction from beginning to end.

My initial impressions are highly favorable. I feel like a kid on Christmas right now. I sounds leagues better cold outta the box then my previous DAC.

The highs are unbelievable. So crystal clear and detailed, yet so smooth.

If the sound doesn't change one bit, I'll be thrilled.

Havent tried any DSD yet as I just set it up an hour ago and have been just listening to whatever music was on my mind.

I'll update as it progresses if anyone is even remotely interested.

wisnon

« Reply #30 on: 27 Oct 2012, 02:42 am »

Why didnt you consider the Sonore?

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #31 on: 27 Oct 2012, 03:03 am »
If anyone cares, my Meitner DAC came into today. I got it from Perotta Consulting, which as an aside, was a great transaction from beginning to end.

My initial impressions are highly favorable. I feel like a kid on Christmas right now. I sounds leagues better cold outta the box then my previous DAC.

The highs are unbelievable. So crystal clear and detailed, yet so smooth.

If the sound doesn't change one bit, I'll be thrilled.

Havent tried any DSD yet as I just set it up an hour ago and have been just listening to whatever music was on my mind.

I'll update as it progresses if anyone is even remotely interested.

Is it a demo or any hours on it?  Mine took 200 hours or so to really settle in.  I am in awe every day I listen to it.  DSD is sublime.

wisnon

« Reply #32 on: 27 Oct 2012, 08:47 am »
Ted, I try to tell people that based on your feedback (and I know the lengths you go to to hunt down pure DSD sources) but still people remain skeptical for far too long. I have not heard it yet, but based on your passionate advocacy, I am no doubting Thomas though, I believed you from inception and as proof will digitize my SACD collection in advance.

I expect a plethora of DSD capable DAC options by end 2013. I know you eagerly await multi-channel playback, but I am more eager to see a tube output DSD playback device!

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #33 on: 1 Nov 2012, 05:33 pm »
Another DSD candidate...

http://www.whathifi.com/review/chord-electronics-qutehd

Regards,

Randy

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #34 on: 1 Nov 2012, 06:15 pm »
Randy, et al...I'd look at this one VERY seriously:

Auralic Vega

http://cybwiz.blogspot.com/2012/10/auralic-vega-digital-audio-processor.html

DSD64 and DSD128
up to 24/384k PCM playback
Femto clock
$3500 list

Russtafarian

« Reply #35 on: 1 Nov 2012, 07:39 pm »
My Benchmark DAC 2 arrives today.  Will get it set up tonight and hopefully push some DSD through it via Jriver.

Good thing I ordered when I did.  The first production run sold out in a few days.

Russ

wisnon

« Reply #36 on: 1 Nov 2012, 11:07 pm »
Randy, et al...I'd look at this one VERY seriously:

Auralic Vega

http://cybwiz.blogspot.com/2012/10/auralic-vega-digital-audio-processor.html

DSD64 and DSD128
up to 24/384k PCM playback
Femto clock
$3500 list

Looks like a killer!
 Hopefully the worlds first tubed DSD Dac is launched before year end.....the ball has been set into motion....

Russtafarian

« Reply #37 on: 2 Nov 2012, 01:03 am »

In the house...

Big Red Machine

« Reply #38 on: 2 Nov 2012, 01:22 am »

In the house...

Wish I could compare this to the PS Audio PWD MKII and the NAD even though neither does DSD.

Russtafarian

« Reply #39 on: 5 Nov 2012, 07:17 pm »
My DAC2 arrived Thursday and here are my initial impressions.  Feature-wise, it works as advertised.  Inside the DAC2 has a switching power supply and the analog stages use LME 49860 op amps and SMD coupling caps. I connected a PC via USB 2.0, an Oppo BPD 103 via a HDMI to S/Pdif box, and a phono preamp.  Source switching and volume control works just fine from the remote control.

CD, DAD, DVD-V and DVD-A discs play back at native PCM resolutions.  The front panel lights that indicate incoming sampling rate and bit depth is a pretty cool feature.  With the Oppo set to output DSD as PCM, SACDs play back at 24/88.  When playing a SACD, both 16 and 24 bit lights go on.  I asked John Siau why and he told me that both lights on indicates a bit rate between 16 and 24. 

Once the USB 2.0 driver got installed, I was able to play back all my stereo FLAC and DSF files without a problem.  I’m using Win7/Fidelizer/Jriver18 set to WASAPI Event with DoP streaming enabled.  It’s cool to see the 2X and 4X lights go on indicating playback of pure DSD. 

I don’t have a good point of reference for evaluating the sound since I’ve been listening to self-modified Squeezebox and Oppo players for the past six years.  Out of the box the DAC2 sounded bright and incisive.  But after three days of running 24/7 it has settled down to a more balanced tonal presentation.  I don’t really have a handle on the sound yet except to say this is the most resolving digital I’ve heard in my system. 

I listened to a variety of DSF files extracted from my SACD collection and the sound is just stunning.  The DSF tracks uniformly have an organic ease and flow that is just different from PCM.  I would not describe the DAC2 as being overly bright or analytical when playing back DSD.

That’s about it for now.

Russ
« Last Edit: 6 Nov 2012, 05:05 pm by Russtafarian »