Protege V -- How goes it?

JackStraw

« on: 10 Aug 2004, 09:14 pm »
Mike -

I think that the Protege V has been on your web site as new for a bit of time. How's the roll-out going? I would guess that the typical internet audio shopper would shy away from speakers ~$1k that are -3db @ 75 Hz.

Despite this, the Protege V is an upgrade that I'd consider down the road, as I'm using Emerald On-walls as mains and a Protege center (after deciding that the On-wall above the TV looked stupid -- thanks). The On-walls kick out SO much more bass than the Protege that I've resorted to stuffing the ports and setting speakers to small to try to compensate for the disparity.

Anyway, I was wondering what stand height works well for the Protege V. The height (21.5") suggests a pretty short stand, but to match the height of my Protege center I'd probably look for something ~18". Would this be too high? You might want to cover this topic on the Protege V page.

Thanks in advance.

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #1 on: 11 Aug 2004, 02:04 am »
I've got quite a bit to say on this one. I have some family committments tonight but I'll be back 1st thing tomorrow morning with the reply your excellent questions deserve. Thanks for your patience!

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #2 on: 11 Aug 2004, 12:38 pm »
The Protege, Veritas and Essence series are all designed for a second order rolloff at around 75-80Hz. It would have been easy to vent tune them an octave or so lower, but why? They are designed to be used in state-of-the-art multi-channel systems with subwoofers. The low Q, second order rolloff optimizes transient response. When you add a processor or reciever with a second order 80Hz filter you end up with a perfect 4th order filter transition to the subwoofer. In practice, this transition is as seamless as it gets. It also minimizes out of phase interaction with the sub(s) which often occurs when the main speakers have response in the same range as the subwoofer. Third, dynamic ability is absolutely amazing. By not asking the Protege to cover that 40-80Hz octave, (better covered by the sub), the woofer excursion is reduced by a factor of four! Much greater clarity in the 80-300Hz range.

We've been successfully using the Vs in local high-end custom theaters since this spring, those theaters sound incredible. We only started shipping the Vs around a month ago, all the initial responses have been very positive.

Actually a stand height around 18-24" is perfect as it brings the tweeter to between 36-42", just right. As you said, it is best if the tweeter height is close to the tweeter height of your center.

Great questions, thanks and ask more   :)