Elyse DAC

dminches

Re: Elyse DAC
« Reply #60 on: 22 Jul 2015, 11:50 am »
For many years I used a Pioneer LD-704 laserdisc player as my CD transport.  I still have the machine.  I should compare it to my Oppo 105 and see which sounds better as a transport.

Phil A

« Reply #61 on: 22 Jul 2015, 01:56 pm »
For many years I used a Pioneer LD-704 laserdisc player as my CD transport.  I still have the machine.  I should compare it to my Oppo 105 and see which sounds better as a transport.

Never had good luck with LDs (made bass kind of tubby/heavy from memory and none of the tweaks I had on hand would completely get rid of it).  Have both a Pioneer 704 and also have an Elite 79 (basically the same machine - had bought them that way and some spare parts too on purpose).  Have not used either player in about 5 years (still have about 135 LDs).  The Oppo players are a good general solution since they do hi-rez too.  I guess when I get my next Oppo and move one to the guest room, I can decide whether I can squeeze the Marantz DV9600 in the main system rack or one secondary system rack or sell it.  I'll go upstairs to the guest room and listen to that system once or twice a year.

dminches

« Reply #62 on: 25 Jul 2015, 09:57 pm »
I just received by Elyse today and have been enjoying a day of digital music for once!  This is a wonderful sounding DAC. 

Has anyone tried a pair of CV2492s in the 6922 positions.  I have always used them as replacements but for some reason when I use 2 of them the right channel has no sound.  The have tried multiple combinations with other tubes and have tested the CV2492s.  1 will work but not 2.  Very odd.

modwright

« Reply #63 on: 26 Jul 2015, 03:27 am »
The heaters in the Elyse DAC are wired in series and are current regulated.  This means that a 12.6V supply feeds the two tube with 6.3V nominal heaters, in series. Because the heaters are CURRENT regulated, a fixed amount of current is 'provided' to the tubes.  If a tube is used that draws a different current than the 6922/6DJ8/7308 tube, then the tubes may not have enough total heater current.

If a tube is used that draws more current than the basis of design (6922…etc.), then the first tube will light up, but the second tube may not see enough current to operate.

I expect that this is the case with this tube, although I have not looked at the data sheets to verify its operating heater current.  It could also, for some reason, be a tube that draws much more than the nominal current.

Sorry for the technical explanation, but I wanted to explain WHY this could happen and why only tubes from the family on which the design was based, should be used.

Thanks,

Dan Wright

dminches

« Reply #64 on: 26 Jul 2015, 02:01 pm »
Thanks Dan. We like technical.

That must be the case since 1 of these tubes plus a 6922 work fine.  What's odd is that the technical specs seem identical, but clearly they are not.

There are more than enough 6922/7308 tubes out there to try.

talk2me

« Reply #65 on: 27 Aug 2015, 05:19 pm »
^ I am using a pair of Siemens CCA's to great effect.

talk2me

« Reply #66 on: 3 Oct 2015, 08:15 pm »
As for the rectifier, I am currently using a big Philips. Can a EML or Sophia 274b work?

modwright

« Reply #67 on: 4 Oct 2015, 06:04 am »
Yes, EML, 274B, 5R4GYS may all be used.

Thanks,

Dan

talk2me

« Reply #68 on: 23 Oct 2015, 06:34 pm »
We need more posts on tube rolling. I am thinking about Sophia or EML 274B. Any input? I already have the Philips rectifier.

dminches

« Reply #69 on: 23 Oct 2015, 07:13 pm »
Just get a metal base GZ34 and your tube rolling days will be over.  That's the best I have tried.  You can also try a GEC 5u4G.

talk2me

« Reply #70 on: 24 Oct 2015, 02:12 am »
The Mullard GZ34 metal base is stupid price, and as I see so is the 5u4G.

dminches

« Reply #71 on: 24 Oct 2015, 02:27 am »
It is all relative.  Spending $400 on a tube for a $5000+ DAC seems appropriate.

JackD

« Reply #72 on: 24 Oct 2015, 04:02 am »
Call Andy at Vintage Tube Services, he can help you get something appropriate without spending $400. He has a lot of rectifier tubes that will fit the bill and many are less than $100 including Mullards.

talk2me

« Reply #73 on: 24 Oct 2015, 08:45 pm »
Call Andy at Vintage Tube Services, he can help you get something appropriate without spending $400. He has a lot of rectifier tubes that will fit the bill and many are less than $100 including Mullards.

Thanks, much appreciated.

talk2me

« Reply #74 on: 17 Dec 2015, 08:52 pm »
Update on my Elyse DAC: it just keeps getting better! The better the surrounding gear, the better the Elyse gets. In other words, it can keep with improvement in one's audio hardware. I just installed new/upgraded power supply in my Magnus 300 (from the 500) and installed Venture Reference woofers in my Venture CR-8's. These upgrades allowed my Elyse to really show it's flying colors.

dkasimian

« Reply #75 on: 21 Feb 2016, 08:30 pm »
Hi all. I just purchased an Elyse from the first owner and am experiencing the right channel problems referenced in the above posts. However, am using the stock 6299 tubes that came with the unit.  My first thought was a defective tube. Unfortunately, I do not have another pair of 6299to try, but I will get in touch with  Andy and order some tomorrow. Until I have new replacements to try, has anyone experienced the right channel problem with stock 6299's?  Thanks

modwright

« Reply #76 on: 21 Feb 2016, 10:34 pm »
The only explanation is that one of the tubes has a failed filament.  The filaments (heaters) are wired in series and current regulated.  If one tube has a bad filament, this could happen.  Please let me know if you have any troubles with a new set of tubes.

Dan

JackD

« Reply #77 on: 22 Feb 2016, 12:34 am »
Swap the tube position and see if it follows the tube.  That will tell you whether tubes or DAC.

dkasimian

« Reply #78 on: 23 Feb 2016, 05:23 am »
Switched tube positions and all is fine now.  I contacted the previous owner and he said he had the same problem with the right channel sound when he first installed the 6299's, and after changing positions the Elyse performed flawlessly, as it is now for me.  Go figure!  Anyway, have some NOS tubes on the way from Andy for some tube rolling, and I will see if there is any difference in the placement of those.  Many thanks for the support and suggestions.

maxboy00

« Reply #79 on: 23 Feb 2016, 09:23 am »
Switched tube positions and all is fine now.  I contacted the previous owner and he said he had the same problem with the right channel sound when he first installed the 6299's, and after changing positions the Elyse performed flawlessly, as it is now for me.  Go figure!  Anyway, have some NOS tubes on the way from Andy for some tube rolling, and I will see if there is any difference in the placement of those.  Many thanks for the support and suggestions.

Glad to here, that the issue has been resolved....Enjoy the DAC.