Assessing the Cube

Mag

Assessing the Cube
« on: 6 Feb 2016, 08:56 pm »
My assessment of the Cube sofar is it is resolving low level details that previously to the Cube sound congested. As a result instruments and voices are defined, purer tones contributing to a rich sound, better mid-range. Also perceived as louder but I don't think it is, it's just more transparent.

YMMV

Rod_S

Re: Assessing the Cube
« Reply #1 on: 6 Feb 2016, 10:07 pm »
What were your previous amps and what speakers, equipment, etc. are you using?

Mag

« Reply #2 on: 6 Feb 2016, 10:28 pm »
What were your previous amps and what speakers, equipment, etc. are you using?

Previous amp was 3B SST 2 upgrade is a 3B SST to Cube. Speakers are Model T passives-mains, Paradigm Studio 100 v2 surrounds, pre-amp Bryston SP2, sub- Velodyne CHT-10, source- BDP-1, BDA-1, Yamaha MG-10 mixer, Monster AVS 2000 power conditioner

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #3 on: 6 Feb 2016, 11:37 pm »
Sorry, I'm a tad confused. Just to clarify.. you had a 3B-SST that was upgraded to a 3B-SST2? And you now have a 3B-cubed?

And your comments in the first post are about the new amp breaking in? If so, after how many hours?

And if you don't mind,  I'd love to read your thoughts comparing your 3BSST-2 to the new cubed amp.

Mag

« Reply #4 on: 7 Feb 2016, 12:58 am »
Sorry, I'm a tad confused. Just to clarify.. you had a 3B-SST that was upgraded to a 3B-SST2? And you now have a 3B-cubed?

And your comments in the first post are about the new amp breaking in? If so, after how many hours?

And if you don't mind,  I'd love to read your thoughts comparing your 3BSST-2 to the new cubed amp.

3B-SST was upgraded to a 3B Cubed, yes.

As for break in I got my amp back in November 2015. I had it doing surround duty with my Paradigm Studio 100 v2. I immediately noticed better mid-range and richness in sound. However I did not know the amp was Cubed. Wednesday I had the sneeking suspicion the amp was Cubed. So I swapped it with the 3B SST 2 powering my Model T passives. I was floored at the much improved difference particularly in the bass region where the Model T excel. Difficult bass music from Judas Priest Epitaph was resolved cleanly, and it's not just the bass but the whole sound spectrum.

The assessment is compared to the 3B SST 2.

Rod_S

« Reply #5 on: 7 Feb 2016, 01:00 am »
How can that be, that you have a had a cubed amp since November, they didn't start shipping until this month?

Mag

« Reply #6 on: 7 Feb 2016, 01:15 am »
I believe it was a gift for my audio idea on improving 44.1/16 bit recordings. :smoke:

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #7 on: 7 Feb 2016, 01:32 am »
 I'm a bit confused by this but if it was to do with redbook records I commend you :thumb:

alanford69

« Reply #8 on: 7 Feb 2016, 09:10 am »
Well not clear to me as well: did Bryston upgrade your 3B SST2 to Cubed in November? Was it a prototype?

95Dyna

« Reply #9 on: 8 Feb 2016, 04:48 pm »
3B-SST was upgraded to a 3B Cubed, yes.

As for break in I got my amp back in November 2015. I had it doing surround duty with my Paradigm Studio 100 v2. I immediately noticed better mid-range and richness in sound. However I did not know the amp was Cubed. Wednesday I had the sneeking suspicion the amp was Cubed. So I swapped it with the 3B SST 2 powering my Model T passives. I was floored at the much improved difference particularly in the bass region where the Model T excel. Difficult bass music from Judas Priest Epitaph was resolved cleanly, and it's not just the bass but the whole sound spectrum.

The assessment is compared to the 3B SST 2.

Count me among the confused for two reasons:

- The SST2>Cubed Series upgrades won't be available for another few months according o James.

- Also, according to James there will be no upgrade path SST>Cubed.

Mag, do you have friends in high places at Bryston?  :lol:

Rod_S

« Reply #10 on: 8 Feb 2016, 05:48 pm »
Another thing is simply the faceplate, if it was the new cubed faceplate that would have been immediately apparent straight out of the box.

Mag

« Reply #11 on: 8 Feb 2016, 11:22 pm »
James tells me I'm mistaken. Possible sound difference, old components versus new components. I guess that's possible, I wonder how the Cube sounds as I thought I had reached the pinnacle of home audio sound.