Back at cha Morten  :beer:

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Handcrafted high performance audio
    • Tortuga Audio
Merry Christmas!
« Reply #21 on: 24 Dec 2013, 12:49 pm »
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all you audio geeks out there!  :thumb:
I take comfort knowing the world is a better place for having us all running around like lunatics trying to get the most out of our music.  :lol:
Peace,
Morten

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
...and a Happy New Year!
« Reply #22 on: 28 Dec 2013, 07:04 pm »
Have a wonderful Happy New Year from Tortuga Audio.  :thumb:

Our mascot Tortuga Ranger is quite ready to get the party started.
Meanwhile the rest of us are slaving over a hot soldering gun.  :lol:

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
Happy New Gear 2014!
« Reply #23 on: 1 Jan 2014, 01:17 pm »

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Welcome to Tortuga Audio's Circle!
« Reply #24 on: 1 Jan 2014, 01:24 pm »
I tried to do it on your site but for some reason I can't put items in the cart since I have a pre order item in it. 

Can you tell me what the total cost of a DIY balanced unit with remote and numerical volume screen costs?

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #25 on: 1 Jan 2014, 02:14 pm »
I tried to do it on your site but for some reason I can't put items in the cart since I have a pre order item in it. 
Can you tell me what the total cost of a DIY balanced unit with remote and numerical volume screen costs?

Yes, since the display module is in pre-release the ecommerce system we use doesn't allow mixing released with unreleased products in the same shopping cart. It makes sense technically but I get it that it's a PITA to get a bottom line price.

So here's the bottom line done old school.

$325 - balanced master/slave LDR3x
$ 50 -  remote
$ 59 - single display module
$434 - total (includes shipping within US)

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #26 on: 1 Jan 2014, 02:20 pm »
Yes, since the display module is in pre-release the ecommerce system we use doesn't allow mixing released with unreleased products in the same shopping cart. It makes sense technically but I get it that it's a PITA to get a bottom line price.

So here's the bottom line done old school.

$325 - balanced master/slave LDR3x
$ 50 -  remote
$ 59 - single display module
$434 - total (includes shipping within US)

Thanks.  I nee to provide enclosure, jacks, wire and power supply.  Yes?  What voltage/amp rating PS?

Do you have any directions anywhere?

TrungT

« Reply #27 on: 1 Jan 2014, 02:23 pm »
Don't forget the encoder if you want it.  :thumb:

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #28 on: 1 Jan 2014, 02:38 pm »
Thanks.  I nee to provide enclosure, jacks, wire and power supply.  Yes?  What voltage/amp rating PS?
Do you have any directions anywhere?

A 12 VDC supply rated at 0.5 Amp will suffice. It can be a wallwart/switching or linear. Doesn't need to be regulated.

We are right now in the process of putting  all available "how to" documentation online via our website. It's not complete yet but the section on the LDR3x should be finished in the next 24-48 hours. Going forward, all of our product documentation will be available this way.
The link is: http://www.tortugaaudio.com/documentation/

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #29 on: 1 Jan 2014, 02:59 pm »
A 12 VDC supply rated at 0.5 Amp will suffice. It can be a wallwart/switching or linear. Doesn't need to be regulated.

We are right now in the process of putting  all available "how to" documentation online via our website. It's not complete yet but the section on the LDR3x should be finished in the next 24-48 hours. Going forward, all of our product documentation will be available this way.
The link is: http://www.tortugaaudio.com/documentation/
Gotcha. Simple enough.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #30 on: 5 Mar 2014, 02:33 pm »
I must be famous! Or is it infamous? Or perhaps just mildly interesting?
Here's an interview article about me and Tortuga Audio recently published in audioXpress magazine.

Link to article:  http://tinyurl.com/kvv7mkp

JohnR

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
Spring 2014 Newsletter
« Reply #32 on: 30 Apr 2014, 08:55 pm »
Since spring is finally, reluctantly, grudgingly showing up, I thought it was time for a Spring 2014 newsletter. 

Here's the link: http://www.tortugaaudio.com/tortuga-audio-newsletter-spring-2014/

A few announcements and updates. The big deal item is next week the LDR3x.V2 gets released!  :thumb:

Cheers,
Morten

Wrong Em Boyo

• Part-time Audiophile
« Reply #33 on: 25 Apr 2021, 04:35 am »
Hi All!  New to Audio Circle.  Joined specifically for Tortuga Audio.  Really interested in their take on passive preamps.

Music has always been a huge part of my life.  I listen to vinyl mostly, but do stream Tidal when not “actively” listening (e.g., reading, working, cooking, ...).

My current system includes:

Rega P8 with Ania cartridge
  PS Audio Phono Preamp
  PS Audio BHK Signature Preamp
  Lumin T2 streamer
  Cary Audio SA-200.2 ES Power Amp
  Ohm Walsh 2000 speakers

The BHK Signature has been sent back for service (less than a year old), which got me exploring passive preamp options.  I am currently using a rather inexpensive balanced passive preamps to allow me to listen to records while the BHK is out of commission.  If a “low end” passive can sound this good in my system, I can only imagine how great the balanced Tortuga will sound.

Currently in the research stage, but knowing me I’ll be taking the plunge in the coming months.  You gotta love this hobby of ours!

Happy listening!

« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2021, 01:05 am by Wrong Em Boyo »

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #34 on: 26 Apr 2021, 01:33 pm »
Hi All!  New to Audio Circle.  Joined specifically for Tortuga Audio.  Really interested in their take on passive preamps.

Music has always been a huge part of my life.  I listen to vinyl mostly, but do stream Tidal when not “actively” listening (e.g., reading, working, cooking, ...).

Rega P8 with Anita cartridge
  PS Audio Phono Preamp
  Lumin T2 streamer
  Ohm Walsh 2000 speakers

The BHK Signature has been sent back for service (less than a year old), which got me exploring passive preamp options.  I am currently using a rather inexpensive balanced passive preamps to allow me to listen to records while the BHK is out of commission.  If a “low end” passive can sound this good in my system, I can only imagine how great the balanced Tortuga will sound.

Currently in the research stage, but knowing me I’ll be taking the plunge in the coming months.  You gotta love this hobby of ours!

Happy listening!

Hi Wrong,

Proving yet again that you can be right and still be Wrong.
Welcome to Tortuga Audio.  :lol:

Cheers,
Morten

kernelbob

« Reply #35 on: 26 Apr 2021, 07:30 pm »

Rega P8 with Anita cartridge
  PS Audio Phono Preamp
  Lumin T2 streamer
  Ohm Walsh 2000 speakers

With passive controllers, managing impedance is key.  I checked the Cary site and the SA-200.2 ES amp has an input impedance of 22,000 ohms.  That's on the low side.  You may find that a Tortuga with a buffer stage (tube or solid state) is the best fit.  The buffer stage provides a very low output impedance (~50 ohms) so driving the Cary would be easy.

I'm using a Tortuga LDRxB balanced (XLRs) passive controller to drive a quad of monoblock power amps in a biamplified speaker system.  The mid/treble amps are directly connected to the LDRxB since they have a 100,000 ohm impedance.  My solid state bass amps have an input impedance of 25,000 ohms (similar to your Cary).  I use a Tortuga Tube Buffer between the LDRxB and a Tortuga LDR1B which is used for level matching the bass amps.  Putting the tube buffer ahead of the bass amps made a big improvement not only with the bass, but the whole top to bottom range.

Tortuga's new LDR3000 preamp series will be coming out soon and will support both active and passive configurations.  Sonically, from the first minutes of the Tortuga(s) being in my system, I've been amazed at their features and performance.

Best,
Robert
« Last Edit: 28 Apr 2021, 12:42 am by kernelbob »

Wrong Em Boyo

• Part-time Audiophile
« Reply #36 on: 26 Apr 2021, 09:06 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion and research you did.  I am also considering swapping out the Cary power amp for a Prima Luna Evo 400 which has an impedance of 100k, so I should be good with the passive without the buffer, if I decide to go that route.

That said, you give me plenty to think about, which could potentially save me some money by not having to “upgrade” my power amp at this time.  Leaving more money that can be spent on records!!!  Thanks again!

xieqiao

« Reply #37 on: 14 Mar 2022, 03:18 pm »
Thanks for admitting me to your forum.  I have just ordered a Tortuga Audio LDR3000x.V3 High Performance Passive: XLR only version.  I may need help as I find out that this passive preamp is software-driven and has user-replaceable components like LDRs.