Sonore APPS - ISO2DSD

austinpop

Re: Sonore APPS - ISO2DSD
« Reply #80 on: 19 Aug 2016, 10:46 pm »
Anyone? I must be using the program incorrectly, as I've now tried it on another pc and got the same result. To start using the program, double click the gui.exe file?
Mike

This is a common issue with some SACDs with long track names. I have always had success with 3 alternate approaches:

donunus

« Reply #81 on: 21 Aug 2016, 07:00 am »
By the way, what does the output mode do? Is the sound different when you change it?

jclark69

« Reply #82 on: 15 Jan 2017, 10:26 pm »
Hello All,
I'm a newbie in this forum, and I'm here because I started to use ISO2DSD because ... it is very usefull, obviously !
I have some SACD ISO files but don't have (at least currently...) a DSD able DAC, so I need to extract from the ISO container DSD files, then to convert them in FLAC files in order to read them with my Cambridge Audio device (which could not read DxF or DSD files).
And I'm wondering how to do that in the most 'high fidelity' way.
So I tried two possibilities :
ISO -> DFF -> FLAC
ISO -> DSF -> FLAC
and noticed huge differences, please see annexed file.
I use ISO2DSD and then Xrecode 3 tools in the process.
I am very surprised about the huge difference between DFF and DSF files... DFF are about 3 times lighter !! There seems to be a lot of information missed ? According to Foobar2000, which I use as a test reader, both formats are lossless... Is anybody could explain what is the real difference between the data of both formats (apart tagging which should be a few bytes) ?
When played with Foobar the bitrate of DFF files are smaller than DSF files, which seem consistant (sole exception is 'Time' in stereo, which is another strange thing).
Once converted in FLAC the difference in size disappears (which could be seen as quite normal), but not completely, the files converted from DFF are even bigger, at least in 6 channels, and so the bitrate is !!
For now I have not done audio tests seriously, but at first view files from DSF are of better quality.
Interestingly, playing an ISO file with Foobar gives the 'small' bitrate, seems to show that it plays the tracks as DFF files !
So the questions :
- What are the technical differences between DFF and DSF files ?
- Which should be used to convert to FLAC files ?
- Which should be kept for the future (once I will have a capable player, re-tagging is not a problem), taken into account that DFF save my disk space ?
- Why the FLAC files in 6 channels are smaller when converting from DSF ?
Thanks ! I would like to choose the best way before doing a lot of work  :wink:

Grant Hill

« Reply #83 on: 6 Apr 2017, 12:28 pm »
Hi All,

I have one question. I extracted DSF files from an ISO and I noticed the the extracted files' dimension is quite smaller than the ISO itself. Is it an issue?

I extracted DFF files from a different ISO and the dimension between ISO and DFF files is comparable... is it normal?

Thanks for your help!

Phil A

« Reply #84 on: 6 Apr 2017, 01:10 pm »
Hi All,

I have one question. I extracted DSF files from an ISO and I noticed the the extracted files' dimension is quite smaller than the ISO itself. Is it an issue?

I extracted DFF files from a different ISO and the dimension between ISO and DFF files is comparable... is it normal?

Thanks for your help!

The ISO (disc image) is a product of what is on the disc (e.g. hybrid, multi-channel, etc.) so extracting DSF should be that way.  With regard to DSF vs. DFF - see this - https://www.blisshq.com/music-library-management-blog/2016/03/15/dsd-versus-dsf-versus-dff-what-mean-audio-libraries/

So I'm not sure what ISO(s) you extracted from and what was in those files (stereo SACD only?).

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #85 on: 6 Apr 2017, 01:34 pm »
Hi All,

Thanks for your help!

If the ISO (SACD) has multichannel content, then the stereo DSF files will be a smaller fraction of the ISO size then if the SACD/ISO is stereo-only, in which case the stereo DSF files are most of the content.

Grant Hill

« Reply #86 on: 6 Apr 2017, 03:10 pm »
Hi Phil, Hi Ted,

thanks for your answer. it was a multichannel sacd, maybe this is the reason why

channel mode on ISO2DSD was selected on Dual

mikey8811

« Reply #87 on: 9 Oct 2017, 04:56 pm »
Hi

This is my 2nd round of splitting ISO files. In the first, I split to DFF and that was a waste of time.

Now, splitting to DSF, do I select "Convert DST to DSD" (ie check the box)?

The reason I am asking is because when i tried to convert the DFF files to DSF, some would not convert through DFF2DSF by 2ManyRobots with the error "cannot convert DST compressed DFF files".

Thanks

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #88 on: 9 Oct 2017, 05:05 pm »
Hi

This is my 2nd round of splitting ISO files. In the first, I split to DFF and that was a waste of time.

Now, splitting to DSF, do I select "Convert DST to DSD" (ie check the box)?

The reason I am asking is because when i tried to convert the DFF files to DSF, some would not convert through DFF2DSF by 2ManyRobots with the error "cannot convert DST compressed DFF files".

Thanks

Yes, as per my post on page one, extract your ISOs to DSF with the DST box checked.  Then, if the ISO table of contents (which gets transferred to the DSF file) has no or little metadata, use something like MP3tag to tag them easily.  (Note: Often these ISO tables of content contain poor tags or all caps, etc etc)

mikey8811

« Reply #89 on: 9 Oct 2017, 06:15 pm »
Yes, as per my post on page one, extract your ISOs to DSF with the DST box checked.  Then, if the ISO table of contents (which gets transferred to the DSF file) has no or little metadata, use something like MP3tag to tag them easily.  (Note: Often these ISO tables of content contain poor tags or all caps, etc etc)

What about the checkboxes for "CUE Sheet" and "Print"?

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #90 on: 9 Oct 2017, 06:19 pm »
Only if you want to save a cue sheet, and print out the entire extraction descriptions.  IOW, no need.

mikey8811

« Reply #91 on: 9 Oct 2017, 06:38 pm »
Only if you want to save a cue sheet, and print out the entire extraction descriptions.  IOW, no need.

Thanks. Do the file sizes increase with the convert DST to DSD box checked?

From what I recall, it seems they are double the size now than when I split to DFF. The DFF's I converted to DSF were about the same size.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #92 on: 9 Oct 2017, 06:45 pm »
It depends on whether DST was actually used in filling the disc image (SACD Authoring).  Don't worry about it.

mikey8811

« Reply #93 on: 9 Oct 2017, 07:56 pm »
It depends on whether DST was actually used in filling the disc image (SACD Authoring).  Don't worry about it.

Actually, it makes quote a lot of difference if it doubles the size of every album. It takes up a lot of disk space.

So if I convert DST to DSD and the resultant file sizes are so much bigger does it mean that the sound quality is better than the compressed (correct term?)  DSF files which are smaller if I do not convert DST to DSD?

If there is no difference in sound quality and the extra file size is gratuitous then I'd rather go with the smaller version. I mean all I really need in terms of metadata and tags are the album name, track name, track number and artist.

Please advise so I do not have to go through a 3rd round of conversions again.

Your help is much appreciated but honestly, PCM FLACs are so much simpler than DSD.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #94 on: 9 Oct 2017, 08:45 pm »
ALWAYS extract DSF with checkbox.  Most players wont play DST-encoded material.  It has nothing to do with quality issues, tags or otherwise.  DST is a compression algorithm that is used on SACDs to fit multichannel and stereo content on the same disc.  Although a good number of SACDs don't use it, many many do. 

Waltski

« Reply #95 on: 15 Oct 2017, 12:58 am »
New user of ISO2DSD. I'm able to extract files from my iso, but the extracted files come out as individual tracks. How can I make the iso extract as a single file? Must be missing a checkbox or something...  :?

Azeria

« Reply #96 on: 15 Nov 2017, 04:32 am »
Has anybody tried building the SACD_Extract file for ARM? Specifically I'm interested in using a Raspberry PI. I know these units are quite low powered but I have one set up to slowly chew on things like this and speed is not really an issue for me.

Grant Hill

« Reply #97 on: 12 Apr 2018, 10:43 am »
Hi All,

I have a couple of ISOs whose tracks I cannot extract with ISO2DSD. I believe that it least in one case the string's internal names are too long (it's a classical music file). for the other one no ideas
in both cases the program doesn't finish the extraction and it remains still
any suggestions? do I need to reinstall ISO2DSD? or update Java's version to the latest one?

thanks in advance

Grant Hill

« Reply #98 on: 21 Jul 2018, 12:14 pm »
Hi All,

I have a couple of ISOs whose tracks I cannot extract with ISO2DSD. I believe that it least in one case the string's internal names are too long (it's a classical music file). for the other one no ideas
in both cases the program doesn't finish the extraction and it remains still
any suggestions? do I need to reinstall ISO2DSD? or update Java's version to the latest one?

thanks in advance

Hello, any hints?

omnipop

« Reply #99 on: 22 Oct 2018, 06:42 pm »
Hi everyone.  :) I am new to this forum, and new to the world of DSD. I have an ifi black DAC that plays DSD
I possess a number of SACD isos, but I have  32 bit computer running Ubuntu 16.04. Do you still provide a 32-bit version of your program?
I assume the program is installed via terminal. What is a binary?
Since it's Ubuntu, any program in terminal has to start with the 'sudo apt' prefix

Thank you in advance