Leave on 24/7 or turn off ??

SCM

Leave on 24/7 or turn off ??
« on: 3 Nov 2015, 08:40 pm »
Sorry if this has been addressed before but the 'Search Function' does not work very well..at least not for me.

Do I leave my LDR1 on full time or shut it off ?? Been on basically for the last year and a half but I don`t know if that`s really a good idea.

Steve

kernelbob

Re: Leave on 24/7 or turn off ??
« Reply #1 on: 3 Nov 2015, 10:15 pm »
I turn "off" my LDR1B-v2 at the end of the day.  It doesn't actually power off the LDRs, but (Morten,. please correct me if this isn't right) sets them to comfortable settings-- comfortable to the LDRs.

Though the LDRs can be replaced similarly to tubes, they're not active devices that need to warm up or get charged up like capacitors.

I'm using a pair of tube monoblocks that definitely sound better after an hour and even better still after another half hour, but I don't notice any performance difference in the Tortuga from the moment I turn it on to the end of the evening.

Robert

SCM

« Reply #2 on: 3 Nov 2015, 10:24 pm »
Thanks..your comment makes sense so I`ll just power it off after a session of listening.

Steve

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Innovated passive & active preamp technology
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #3 on: 4 Nov 2015, 01:34 pm »
For the reason kernelbob mentioned, I recommend turning the unit off when not being used. It shuts the series LDRs off completely and puts the shunt LDRs in a low power state so whatever might be present continues to have a pathway to ground. The LDRs should last longer this way. Also, our finished preamps use LDR's for input switching and turning the preamp off shuts these off entirely as well.

SCM

« Reply #4 on: 4 Nov 2015, 02:42 pm »
When I push the knob IN the blue light starts to flash on and off does that indicate that the unit is off or in standby ??

Steve

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #5 on: 4 Nov 2015, 02:48 pm »
When I push the knob IN the blue light starts to flash on and off does that indicate that the unit is off or in standby ??

Steve

Indicates it's muted but still on. Push/release again and it should unmute.
More detail on status light & encoder can be found here: http://www.tortugaaudio.com/documentation/#document-2

SCM

« Reply #6 on: 4 Nov 2015, 03:04 pm »
I looked at the instructions you posted.
Ok..so I pushed it in again and the light goes solid but if I turn the knob clockwise I can hear that it is powering the amp still.
Sorry to be a pain.

Steve

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #7 on: 4 Nov 2015, 03:13 pm »
I looked at the instructions you posted.
Ok..so I pushed it in again and the light goes solid but if I turn the knob clockwise I can hear that it is powering the amp still.
Sorry to be a pain.

Steve

Assuming the preamp is on and your amp is on....everything is on/playing. - solid light
Adjust volume up/down via turning encoder right/left - light flashes briefly indicating command received
Press/release encoder - volume ramps down/mutes - light blinks
Press/release encoder again - volume ramps up/unmutes - solid light
Press/hold encoder for between 3-5 seconds and release - turns unit off - light is off
Unit is now off - light is off
Press/release encoder - turns unit back on - solid light

SCM

« Reply #8 on: 4 Nov 2015, 05:02 pm »
"Press/hold encoder for between 3-5 seconds and release - turns unit off - light is off
Unit is now off - light is off"

I tried this a few times and each time the light flashes on and off rather quickly and just continues to do so till I push it in again, then the light just stays on.
Can`t get it to go off no matter what.

Interestingly enough if I push the 'Power' button on the remote the light flickers real fast for a second or two THEN the light does go out.

Is there a glitch somewhere you think ?

And thanks again.
Steve

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #9 on: 4 Nov 2015, 06:11 pm »
"Press/hold encoder for between 3-5 seconds and release - turns unit off - light is off
Unit is now off - light is off"

I tried this a few times and each time the light flashes on and off rather quickly and just continues to do so till I push it in again, then the light just stays on.
Can`t get it to go off no matter what.

Interestingly enough if I push the 'Power' button on the remote the light flickers real fast for a second or two THEN the light does go out.

Is there a glitch somewhere you think ?

And thanks again.
Steve

Glitch highly unlikely. Timing matters. What you are describing is consistent with B.2.ii

To recap.
A) When off (no light)
  1) Press/release - turns unit on - light steady on
  2) Quarter+ turn - turns on auto-cal - light blinks
B) When On
  1) Press/release - toggles mute on/off
  2) Press/hold/release
      (i) At least 3 but no more than 5 seconds - turns unit off - light goes off
      (ii) At least 5 seconds but no more than 10 seconds - puts unit in balance adjust mode - light flashes quickly
      (iii) At least 10 seconds but no more than 20 seconds - resets channel balance - light flashes briefly and then remains on
      (iv) At least 20+ seconds - puts unit in IR remove "pairing" mode - light flashes very quickly

SCM

« Reply #10 on: 4 Nov 2015, 07:29 pm »
Thanks Much Appreciated !

Steve

33na3rd

« Reply #11 on: 7 Nov 2015, 09:58 pm »
Hi Morten,

Another question regarding powering up the LDR3.v2, if I may.

I'm from the old school where you start powering up from your source, to the pre, and then amp. Turn off in reverse order.

A few solid state amplifier manufacturers would like you keep their amps powered up 24/7, for the best sound quality.
Assuming that your source component in front of the LDR3.V2 is already powered up & stable, is there any problem turning on/off the LDR3.v2 while the amp is already powered up?

Thanks!

« Last Edit: 7 Nov 2015, 11:54 pm by 33na3rd »

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #12 on: 8 Nov 2015, 03:17 pm »
Hi Morten,

Another question regarding powering up the LDR3.v2, if I may.

I'm from the old school where you start powering up from your source, to the pre, and then amp. Turn off in reverse order.

A few solid state amplifier manufacturers would like you keep their amps powered up 24/7, for the best sound quality.
Assuming that your source component in front of the LDR3.V2 is already powered up & stable, is there any problem turning on/off the LDR3.v2 while the amp is already powered up?

Thanks!

There shouldn't be any problem with turning the Tortuga preamp on/off while connected to source/amp that are on. I do this all the time here in our shop during testing, commissioning etc. I also sometimes leave my DAC and Amp running on my main rig but turn the preamp on/off without any problem.

What I recommend you NOT do is apply or remove power (as opposed to turning it on/off) to the Tortuga preamp while connected to live source/amp. Especially when power is removed, the LDRs take 1-2 seconds to go completely dark and there can be a surge in volume if music is playing. If music isn't playing there's no problem here either.

Cheers,
Morten

33na3rd

« Reply #13 on: 8 Nov 2015, 04:15 pm »
There shouldn't be any problem with turning the Tortuga preamp on/off while connected to source/amp that are on. I do this all the time here in our shop during testing, commissioning etc. I also sometimes leave my DAC and Amp running on my main rig but turn the preamp on/off without any problem.

What I recommend you NOT do is apply or remove power (as opposed to turning it on/off) to the Tortuga preamp while connected to live source/amp. Especially when power is removed, the LDRs take 1-2 seconds to go completely dark and there can be a surge in volume if music is playing. If music isn't playing there's no problem here either.

Cheers,
Morten

Thank you!