LDR3x.V2.1 + 12.5 psu build

stvnharr

LDR3x.V2.1 + 12.5 psu build
« on: 1 Nov 2015, 03:44 pm »
I've just completed an LDR attenuator build using the LDR3x.V2.1 with the PS12.5 psu and encoder module.
I only have a single source system so do not need the relay board and additional inputs. I also don't really like remotes but this may get added later on for the additional features that it provides.
This unit replaced a pair of mono stepped attenuators with Goldpoint switches and PRP and Holco resistors. Lots greater dynamic range with the LDR. I mostly listen to big classical pieces and they have lots of dynamic range.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
Re: LDR3x.V2.1 + 12.5 psu build
« Reply #1 on: 1 Nov 2015, 05:42 pm »
Most excellent!!!  But take time when you get a chance to add the remote - the Tortuga offers remote balance - I find that most of my recordings require some balance correction and it really adds to the enjoyment when it is right.  You can also cancel the balance correction with the remote and compare the corrected version with uncorrected.  All very entertaining, not to mention getting you better sound. You simply cannot do this without a remote unless you place a preamp right by your seat.  End of lecture.

stvnharr

« Reply #2 on: 1 Nov 2015, 06:02 pm »
I have found that I can do balance adjust with the encoder without difficulty.

33na3rd

« Reply #3 on: 1 Nov 2015, 06:39 pm »
That looks very nice!

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Innovated passive & active preamp technology
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #4 on: 1 Nov 2015, 07:43 pm »
I have found that I can do balance adjust with the encoder without difficulty.

While balance adjustment control is a bit clunky using either remote or encoder/knob, with the encoder you press/hold-in knob for 5+ seconds (but no more than 10) and it puts the unit into balance adjust where subsequent left/right turns of the encoder adjusts balance accordingly. Then press center/enter button to lock in setting and return to volume control mode. You can reset balance to neutral by press/holding-in knob for 10+ seconds (but not more than 20) and releasing.  :thumb:

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Innovated passive & active preamp technology
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #5 on: 1 Nov 2015, 07:55 pm »
I've just completed an LDR attenuator build using the LDR3x.V2.1 with the PS12.5 psu and encoder module.
I only have a single source system so do not need the relay board and additional inputs. I also don't really like remotes but this may get added later on for the additional features that it provides.
This unit replaced a pair of mono stepped attenuators with Goldpoint switches and PRP and Holco resistors. Lots greater dynamic range with the LDR. I mostly listen to big classical pieces and they have lots of dynamic range.

Very nice compact single input design. Since you aren't using the remote or visual displays, running the preamp with the encoder only may be the best approach since you're far less likely to unknowingly find yourself in some control mode without any clue how you got there.

Did you install a status LED in the front panel? A status LED will at least tell you if the unit is on/off, in balance adjust mode, or in auto-cal mode etc.

Most people are pleasantly surprised by the great dynamics that the Tortuga passive preamps deliver especially given that it's a passive and there's no buffer output stage.

Enjoy!
Morten

stvnharr

« Reply #6 on: 1 Nov 2015, 10:13 pm »
Yes I have a blue LED to the left of the knob. I had the unit plugged in and "on" when I took the front view pic but the LED didn't really show up. I've gotten fairly familiar with the blinking LED.
BTW, great documentation on the website as it was indispensable in construction, and then in referring to it for balance adjustment. And one only has to be able to count to 10.

TrungT

« Reply #7 on: 1 Nov 2015, 11:49 pm »
Nice build  :thumb: